Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
On Monday, May 25th, We Once More Honor Those Who've Given Their All
5/20/2015 9:23:17 PM
Hello My Friends,

Memorial Day is the federal holiday observed each year on the last Monday in May, falling this year on Monday, May 25th. This day has been set aside to honor all of those who died serving the United States military. Memorial Day first originated following the American Civil War to honor both the Union and Confederate soldiers who died in the Civil War. The holiday was extended by the 20th century to include all American soldiers who have given their lives in all Wars. Memorial Day is formally known as Decoration Day and should not be confused with Veteran's Day, which celebrates the service of all United States military veterans, whether living or deceased.

On Memorial Day, to show honor to those who lost their lives while in the military service, it is traditional to fly the American flag at half mast. Many people visit national cemeteries where volunteers will place the American flag on each grave. Memorials are attended as well.

Here in Thomasville, NC, where I reside, The Thomasville Memorial Day Parade and Celebration is considered to be one of the largest in the Southeastern United States. It begins at 10:00 AM with a Commemoration Service at the Vietnam Memorial Wall on I-85 and then continues with a Parade at 11:00 AM starting at the Big Chair at the corner of Main and Salem Streets, featuring 100 American Flags in formation and the Army Ground Forces Band. Military vehicles and equipment, along with many Veteran's groups will be highlighted in the procession which continues along Salem Street to Memorial Park and Cushwa Stadium, where the Keynote Address will be delivered by NC Lt. Governor Dan Forrest at 12:30 PM. The Special Forces Association Parachute Team will perform at 1:15 Pm, followed by a presentation to the Military Families at 1:30 PM and concluding with Taps and a Firing Gun Salute at 2:00 PM.

Memorial also traditionally marks the start of summer and the vacation season. Many people will attend picnics, cookouts, sporting events, and most will be spending extra time with family and friends.

Wishing You All A Safe & Happy Memorial Day,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+2
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: On Monday, May 25th, We Once More Honor Those Who've Given Their All
5/21/2015 7:40:31 PM
HI Phil,

Thanks for all your info on Memorial Day celebration. One thing I have done for years is to
watch on PBS on Sunday evening at 8:00 there is a celebration from the lawn at the capitol building. It has always been a wonderful inspiring program. Some laughs, some tears, and one story of a vet, from one war with their story.

If you are busy at 8 there is a repeat at 9:30. Do hope you all watch it.

LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+1
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/21/2015 9:59:06 PM
Hi Myrna,

Thanks for stopping by my Friend, and thanks for all of the great Information about The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. Yes, I generally either watch the PBS Program every Memorial Day or I record it to view later. It's always a touching tribute and I love the Hosts, Joe Mantegna and Gary "Lieutenant Dan" Sinise.

If you'll click the "21 Steps" link below, there's a wonderful tribute about the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier from Llerrah Music.

Have A Blessed And Safe Memorial Day ,

Phil
“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+2
5/21/2015 10:11:57 PM
Thanks so much for posting this for all our veterans to be honored.
My father went into Normandy on the first wave, they put him in over his head
from the boat and he had to push his bazooka in front of him to swim in, make it
through the barbed wire, up the beach, up the ladders and fought in land for 3
days when a big shell blew up really close to him. It knocked him out and gave
him head injury and shrapnel wounds and they had to fly him back to England to
recover for 3 months before he got to go home. He had to learn to walk and talk
even again due to his injuries. I am very lucky to be here myself and I thank my
Dad for his service to our nation and for being so brave and honorable in battle.
I honor you this MEMORIAL DAY DAD and still miss you so much. He passed in 1995 at 80 yrs old, but suffered all his life from some problems due to his war service.

Want to travel the world and make money too? Check out this new travel home biz. Low cost, make up to 2050. per month without sponsoring people. Of course if you do you make money faster so you can travel more. Make your living by really learning to LIVE. http://www.discoverptp.com/aladytraveler/?source=ADLD
+3
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/21/2015 11:43:41 PM
Hi Janie,

It sounds like the Good Lord was watching over your Dad just as He did mine. Dad also served during WWII, however he was in Italy during most of the war. I tend to thank Harry Truman as well as the good Lord for my Dad returning home, because he was on a ship headed to the Philippines when they dropped the Bomb on Hiroshima to end the war. He passed away in 1994 from Cancer and I miss him every day, but as we know they are now in a much better place and we'll see them both again soon.

Here's a prayer in Honor of those who served and those who died that we might be free.

During this Memorial Day weekend, as we remember those who have made the ultimate sacrifice for the freedoms we enjoy every day, we think of how they have followed in the footsteps of Your Son, our Savior, Jesus Christ. Please hold our servicemen and women in Your strong arms. Cover them with Your sheltering grace and Your presence as they stand in the gap for our protection. We also remember the families of our troops. We ask for Your unique blessings to fill their homes, and we pray Your peace, provision, and strength will fill their lives. May the members of our armed forces be supplied with courage to face each day and may they trust in the Lord's mighty power to accomplish each task. Let our military brothers and sisters feel our love and support. This we ask in the name of Jesus.

For a musical tribute, simply click on the link below for a selection from Llerrah Music.

Have A Safe & Happy Memorial day,

Phil

+1

facebook
Like us on Facebook!