Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Happy Easter - Let's Celebrate With Friends, Fun, & Good Food
4/1/2015 3:08:06 PM

Hi Myrna,

As you would probably guess from my prior history with Bars, I'm a big fan of Pickled Eggs. Not only have I had Beet Pickled Eggs, I've had Jalapeno and Curry Pickled Eggs as well. In addition, no Easter meal is complete without a hearty helping of Deviled Eggs. Here's one that you all might like.

Beet-Pickled Deviled Eggs

These little beet–soaked delights are the only improvement or variation that beats the classic, paprika-dusted standard. Normally, deviled eggs aren't going to win any beauty contests, but with the beet brine bath, they take on a striking pink cloak as well as an earthy sour tang. The addition of peppercorns and brown sugar imbues another level of pickled spice. The filling punctuates the tang with the subtle curry spice and freshness of aromatic rosemary. Serves 12.

Ingredients

6 large eggs
1 16-ounce can or jar pickled beets
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon peppercorns (I used fiery pink peppercorns)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon mayonnaise
1/2 teaspoon curry powder
1 tablespoon vinegar
2 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
Fresh rosemary for garnish

Directions

Hard boil your eggs and remove the shells. Set the eggs aside.

To prepare the brine, pour a can of pickled beets into a large mason jar or bowl. Add cider vinegar, sugar, peppercorns and salt. Stir mixture. Carefully lower the peeled eggs into the brine. Cover and refrigerate for at least 12 hours, up to 3 days. The longer you leave them in the brine, the more sour and pink they'll end up. I like just the rim of pink and slight pickled flavor, so I let mine sit about 16 hours.

When brining time is finished, cut each egg in half and scoop out yolks. Place yolks in a medium-sized bowl, along with the mustard, mayonnaise, curry, vinegar, and olive oil. Mix and mash until smooth. Add a little bit of water to the mixture if it's too stiff. Salt and pepper to taste.

Using a pastry bag or a plastic bag with the corner cut off, pipe the yolk mixture back into the pink eggs. Sprinkle with chopped rosemary and season with salt and pepper.

Have A Great Wednesday My Friend,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/2/2015 3:28:58 PM

Hello Everyone,

A roast leg of lamb is a traditional Easter entree in many families and cultures. This recipe is also often used on Holy Thursday, or Maundy Thursday, for the commemoration of the Last Supper.

Roast Leg Of Spring Lamb

Ingredients

leg of lamb, 3 to 4 pounds

garlic cloves

salt and pepper

1/2 cup sweetened pineapple juice or Burgundy wine

Directions

Select a leg of lamb weighing 3 to 4 pounds. (Allow 1/3 to pound per serving). Do not remove the fell or thin, papery skin. Cut small gashes, about 1 inch apart, lengthwise. Insert a sliver of garlic in each gash. Place on rack in open roaster. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast at 325°, allowing 30 to 35 minutes per pound, or 180° on meat thermometer. Remove garlic after 1 hour. For an unusual flavor, baste 4 times after garlic is removed, using 1/4 cup unsweetened pineapple juice or Burgundy wine each time. Serves 9-12.

Brown Gravy: Pour off all but 1/4 cup of fat from pan drippings. Add 1/4 cup flour; blend well. Cook over low heat till brown. Add 2 cups water slowly; cook till thickened, stirring constantly. Add salt and pepper to taste and enough Kitchen Bouquet for rich brown color. Makes about 2 cups.

Other Traditional Menu Items:

Spinach or other dark green vegetable
Green salad, with dressing; or celery
Rice seasoned with herbs
Ratatouille (eggplant and zucchini with garlic & tomato)
Matzoh (bread)
Haroseth (dessert)

Have A Blessed Easter,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/3/2015 6:15:03 PM

Hello Everyone,

Please enjoy this song, from Tennessee Ernie Ford, in observance of Good Friday. This day is observed in remembrance of the sacrifice made by our Lord Jesus Christ when he was crucified and died on Mount Calvary.

Have A Blessed Friday My Friends,

Phil

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/3/2015 6:51:57 PM

Hello My Friends,

Passover is an important biblically derived Jewish festival. The Jewish people celebrate Passover as a commemoration of their liberation by God from slavery in Egypt and their freedom as a nation under the leadership of Moses. It begins today, Friday April 3rd, and ends on Saturday April 11th.

Here's a little something sweet to share for your Passover meal. I tried these a few years back, brownies made with matzo. They are the best!

Passover (Pesach) Brownies

Ingredients

Have A Blessed Weekend,

Phil

+0
Nellie .

594 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
4/3/2015 9:53:16 PM
Thank you Phil & friends...Phil fix the link
+1

facebook
Like us on Facebook!