Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
David Rowland

194 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Horseradish
10/6/2014 9:08:20 PM
Horseradish

Horseradish was originally cultivated for medicinal uses, but now is used mostly for flavoring.

The sharp pungency of it's smell can clear your sinuses in one sniff, even better than pepper.

The oil is released by grating the root, but evaporates very quickly, so it's not very good for cooking.

Dried leaves have a yellow dye with a chrome mordant, and can be used to dress skin wounds.

The fresh roots contain several vitamins and minerals and has many antibiotic properties as well. The vitamins and minerals in the root are: calcium, sodium, magnesium, and vitamin c. The antibiotic properties are useful for preserving food, and help protect the intestinal tract, and stimulate digestion.

You can use the young leaves in salads.

Make horseradish sauce for roast beef, smoked, or oily fish.

Grate into coleslaw, dips, and homemade mayonnaise.

You can also grow near potato's for more disease resistant tubers.

NOTE: Do not consume large doses or use continously when pregnant or suffering from kidney problems.
Daves Wire Creations --- Handcrafted wire wrap jewelry http://www.DavesWireCreations.artfire.com
+1
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Horseradish
10/6/2014 10:50:10 PM
Hi David,

Thanks for info on horseradish.

The 1st time my girlfriend and ground the horseradish we leaned very quickly you want to be in a down wind of it. I am glad someone told her before we started to not do it inside. We understood why as soon as we started.

Myrna
LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!