Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: 300-year-old sunken treasure found off Florida
8/2/2014 2:26:21 AM

In my country, Joyce, many indigenous artworks have survived throughout the centuries and can be appreciated even in our days in important churches. They are mostly in silver but also in gold and all were made by indigenous artisans under the Spaniards' dominion. And while I am not sure about their religiosity, you may agree with me that they must have been happy both while doing them and with the finished articles. Below are two gold custodies preserved in important churches. I am not sure about the top one, but the bottom custody can be appreciated even now in the Iglesia de la Merced in Cusco.

Fig. 1

Fig. 2

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/2/2014 2:34:31 AM

Below is an interesting gif document showing multiple works by indigenous artisans in times of the Spaniards' dominion in my country.

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Joyce Parker Hyde

1967 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/2/2014 3:10:35 PM
These are all very beautiful. I think that the artisans are like musicians whose music has to be expressed like the need to breathe.
I can't even imagine having the vision inside to create these masterpieces.

I'm sure there are many of these also in my city as New Orleans was under Spanish domination for many years in those early centuries, which also fits in with the discovery in the Florida waters just down the coast.
+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/3/2014 1:44:53 AM

I'll bet on that too, Joyce. However there is another, somewhat remote, possibility that a Spanish ship filled with such treasures had tried to make a scale at Florida on its way to Europe and been sunk along its coast. Such trips were regularly made back then twice a year, however dangerous it could prove to be from both bad weather and the pirates (mostly British ones, though they did not call themselves 'pirates' but 'corsaries'), but the riches the ships transported to the old continent from Peru, Mexico and the Virreinato de la Plata (current Argentina), etc. made them worthwhile. In addition, they travelled in caravans comprising many ships.

Other than that, I love your mention of artisans being like musicians whose music has to be expressed like the need to breathe. In my youth I used to feel such a need and it really was like the need to breathe, unfortunately I never had an opportunity to develop myself as an artist - let alone as a musician.

+1
Joyce Parker Hyde

1967 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/4/2014 2:44:31 AM
You know, I once read a statement that says "don't judge yesterdays' actions by today's standards" or close to that and I try to keep that in mind when I'm looking at history.

Even in my own life I try not to second guess things I could have done differently because any tiny little change would have changed everything.
Going to school on a different day for instance and poof-there go my children and grand children-never to be born because I could have met a whole other set of people to hang out with.
So we have the luxury of admiring the treasures left behind without passing judgement on how or why they got there.

+1

facebook
Like us on Facebook!