Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: 17th century Spanish painter Diego Velazquez, a giant of Western art
3/25/2014 3:42:34 AM

They sure are spectacular, Roger. However, I would like to know whether the photos I have posted are true to the original work - a pity I cannot really see them in their current location, at least not at present. Take for example the photo I selected for the Infanta Margarita's portrayal of 1656, a priceless master work treasured in the Kunthistorisches Museum in Vienna. If I downloaded it from the Wikipedia website it was because it seemed to me a likely option, but if you compare it with this other photo that I have just downloaded
from the Wikipainting website - in fact more similar to those reproduced in other sites, for example the Archive.com - you will see it has a marked yellowish hue. The question then is, which is more true to the original?

Diego Velazquez - Infanta Margarita
(oil on canvas, 1656; in Wikimedia.com)

(oil on canvas, c.1656; in TheArchive.com)

(oil in canvas, 1656; in Wikipainting.com)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/25/2014 9:44:28 AM
It is a shame that the Google Art Project doesn't show the Silver Dress version of this young lady's portrait, however, this photo of the Vienna gallery might help as it shows Blue, pink and silver portraits.

+2
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/28/2014 1:46:52 AM

I'm afraid you are right, Roger. Apart from the one shown at Wikimedia, I have not been able to find any other portrait of princess Margarita in the Silver Dress version except for a very small photo in the website of the Kunthistorisches Museum, which treasures the original work, and other minor reproductions in other sites. The remaining images are only exaggeratedly yellow-hued reproductions that reach their apotheosis with one in Olga's Gallery, a website that precisely characterizes for this practice. (I am not showing it, but you may view it here.)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/28/2014 2:22:52 AM

Instead, I would like to post two other portraits of the infanta Margarita by Velazquez - one showing her as a six-year old girl, painted circa 1655, and the other an unfinished work painted approximately ten years later, in about 1665, portraying her as a sixteen-year old young woman - the attribution of which has more recently been questioned.

(oil on canvas, c.1655)

Diego Velazquez - Infanta Margarita Teresa in a Pink Dress
(oil on canvas, c.1665)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/30/2014 2:04:17 AM

Other portraits of the royal family made in about this time include these ones of infanta Maria Teresa which, while not as popular as those of infanta Margarita, are exquisite and pretty well-known all the same.

Diego Velazquez - Infanta Maria Teresa of Spain
(oil on canvas, 1651-52) (*)

Diego Velazquez - Infanta Maria Teresa of Spain
(oil on canvas, 1652-53)

(*) This painting, probably a study, has been cut.

+1

facebook
Like us on Facebook!