Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: 17th century Spanish painter Diego Velazquez, a giant of Western art
3/10/2014 1:46:08 AM

They are indeed powerful, Roger. I dare say Velazquez portrayed all those people - either from the original or, in the case of Aesopo and Menippus, from inspiration - not only as they were in their outer but also in their inner being. To me, it is their attitudes that tell volumes about them.

Actually Velazquez seems to have given his best with these portraits. The portrait of Pablo de Valladolid, for one thing, is emblematic though for yet another reason - he is standing in an undifferentiated space, an innovation in art later to be imitated by Degas and Monet, with his shadow and nothing else, not even a suggestion of a divisory line between the horizontal and the vertical plane, to support him.

In fact, the more I learn about Velazquez and his art, the more amazed I become at both.

Miguel

Quote:
Powerful images indeed

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/10/2014 2:04:51 AM

Friends, this painting is so exquisite! Just see the love and care the woman radiates with both her hands and body and the expression in her face!

Diego Velazquez - The Needlewoman ('La costurera')
(oil on canvas, c.1640)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/10/2014 8:11:54 PM
You have said it all Miguel.
Roger
+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/12/2014 1:37:21 AM

Thank you Roger. In addition, I would like to post two "new" self-portraits of around this time
that while virtually identical to the one Velazquez had painted in about 1640 (view here) clearly deserve to be showcased too.

Diego Velazquez - Self-Portrait
(oil on canvas, 1643)

Diego Velazquez - Self-Portrait
(oil on canvas, c.1645)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/12/2014 2:30:14 AM

Of about this time is also to consider Velazquez's gusto for painting the court's dwarfs, which intrigued his rivals maybe as much as had his seeming rejection of the allegorical, mythological and sacred themes to which only rarely woud he pay attention. (*)

Diego Velazquez - The Dwarf Francisco Lezcano,
Called "El Niño de Vallecas"
(oil on canvas, 1643-45)

Diego Velazquez - The Dwarf Sebastian de Morra
(oil on canvas, c.1645)

Diego Velazquez - Don Diego de Acedo (El Primo)
(oil on canvas, c.1645)

(*) In effect, his rivals - surely from envy - would criticize him for dedicating his best artistic effort to almost exclusively the royal family and the nobility. Regarding this, some scholars consider it very likely that on top of a genuine gusto for painting the common people, Velazquez could have thought of it as a means to disprove his critics. A fascinating reading here: Velázquez, Dwarfs, and the Contradiction of Graceful Painting (http://www.patheos.com/blogs/cultivare/2012/09/velasquez-dwarfs-and-the-contradiction-of-graceful-painting/)

+1

facebook
Like us on Facebook!