Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Karen Gigikos

230 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
RE: 17th century Spanish painter Diego Velazquez, a giant of Western art
3/12/2014 9:50:17 PM
BEAUTIFUL PICTURES ! JUST LOVE Diego Velazquez - The Immaculate Conception LOVE KAREN GIGIKOS
karen Gigikos Black Belt Granny
+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/13/2014 2:22:54 AM

Hello and welcome, Karen. I am so happy that you love Velazquez's art. I hope you like his The Coronation of the Virgin in my next post.

Thanks for visiting,

Miguel

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/13/2014 2:50:19 AM

THE CORONATION OF THE VIRGIN
By Diego Velazquez

One of the taks required of Velazquez, the court painter, was the painting of altarpieces, though to a lesser extent than painting portraits. The Coronation of the Virgin was painted around 1645, possibly for the queen's oratory in the Alcazar in Madrid. Angelic putti carry the virginal Madonna up to heaven on clouds; Christ and God the Father hold a wreath of roses over her head, and the dove of the Holy Ghost hovers above her in an aureole of light. The glory of the coronation of the Mother of God and her perfect features are signs of her virginity. The virginal face of the Madonna reflects the emotions aroused in Spain between 1613 and 1620 by the postulated Immaculate Conception of the Virgin. In this context Pacheco encouraged painters to create emphatically youthful depictions of Mary. (Web Gallery of Art) (*)

Diego Velazquez - The Coronation of the Virgin
(oil on canvas, circa 1645)

(*) A great yet somewhat lenghty reading on the origin of this wonderful master work painted by Velazquez will be found here.

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/14/2014 2:17:45 AM

From its identity to its attribution, Velazquez's next great portrait is enigmatic on several accounts - yet some suggest it was Velazquez himself. However, on several accounts as well - from its plain attractiveness to the artistic solvency it denotes - it's a great favorite to many.

Diego Velazquez - Portrait of a Young Man
(oil on canvas, 1635-45)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/14/2014 2:56:20 AM

Incredibly enough, the attribution of this magnificent allegorical portrait of Felipe IV on horseback to Velazquez has been debated too. Yet if such a debate actually originated in Velazquez's well-known reluctance to include mythological subjects in his works, then why his decision to incorporate those subjects in this particular painting might not have precisely been intended as a concession to them?

Diego Velazquez - Allegorical Portrait of Felipe IV
(oil on canvas, c.1645)

+1

facebook
Like us on Facebook!