Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: 17th century Spanish painter Diego Velazquez, a giant of Western art
3/3/2014 9:29:46 AM
Another great painting.
My main question is about the area directly behind the cardinal's right (our left) shoulder.
Is that area sky/cloud, mountain or something on the collar?

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/4/2014 1:49:03 AM

I would say your first guess is the right one, Roger - i.e. that it is the sky/cloud, and that the darker area just below it is likely a continuation of the mountain range. I don't think it may be something on the collar, but of course I may be wrong.

Diego Velazquez - Cardinal Infante don Fernando as a Hunter
(oil on canvas, 1632-33)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/5/2014 1:01:07 AM

And here is another of Velazquez's most important master works, The Surrender of Breda, painted in 1634 - 1635 and maybe only equaled by his Triumph of Bachus ('Los Borrachos'), Las Meninas (the main feature in this topic) and Las Hilanderas, also called 'The Fable of Arachne' - this latter yet to be seen in this thread. (*)

Diego Velazquez - The Surrender of Breda
(oil on canvas, 1634 - 1635)

(*) ... After a four-month siege and when all the provisions in the fortress had run out, he [Justinus of Nassau, the commander of the fortress of Breda in Brabant, in the southern Netherlands] was forced to petition for an honourable surrender. Spinola allowed him to leave under conditions that were extremely generous for the period. Velázquez represents Spinola as having dismounted from his horse to meet the Dutch commander on equal footing. Instead of accepting the token of surrender, he places a hand on the Dutchman's shoulder, offering a consolation of one soldier to another. (Web Gallery of Art)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/5/2014 10:08:45 AM
This is a wonderful painting.
Online information about this picture varies in detail but a fascinating historical painting.

+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/6/2014 2:08:26 AM

Thank you for your frequent visiting and posting, Roger. Your comments are forever treasured.

Miguel

+1

facebook
Like us on Facebook!