Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Alexei Kondratyevich Savrasov and the Lyrical Landscape Style
12/6/2013 2:04:49 AM

This painting is a special case of original sobriety where an intuitive approach combined with a schematized conception have not only played a crucial role in it but also produced a masterpiece of rare beauty.

Alexei Savrasov - Courtyard. Spring (oil on canvas, 1853)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/6/2013 2:27:37 AM

Two master works of extraordinary beauty, both of 1854, are presented here. Mere words cannot express what Savrasov's refined taste, skill and knowledge have accomplished with these paintings. They no doubt belong to an early period's zenith in his career.

Alexei Savrasov - Landscape with pine
(oil on canvas, 1854)

Alexei Savrasov - Sea Shore in the vicinity of Oranienbaum
(oil on canvas, 1854)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/9/2013 2:03:49 AM

Intermezzo

Alexei Kondratyevich Savrasov (Russian: Алексе́й Кондра́тьевич Савра́сов) (May 24, 1830 -- October 8, 1897) was a Russian landscape painter and creator of the lyrical landscape style. Savrasov was born into the family of a merchant. He began to draw early and in 1838 he enrolled as a student of professor Rabus at the Moscow School of Painting, Sculpture and Architecture (graduated in 1850), and immediately began to specialize in landscape painting.

In 1852, he traveled to Ukraine. Then, in 1854 by the invitation of the Grand Duchess Maria Nikolayevna, President of the Imperial Academy of Arts, he moved to the neighborhood of St. Petersburg. In 1857, Savrasov became a teacher at the Moscow School of painting, sculpturing and architecture. His best disciples, Isaac Levitan and Konstantin Korovin, remembered their teacher with admiration and gratitude.n 1857, he married Sophia Karlovna Hertz, sister of art historian K. Hertz. In their home they entertained artistic people and collectors including Pavel Tretyakov. Savrasov became especially close with Vasily Perov. Perov helped him paint the figures of the boat trackers in Savrasov's Volga near Yuryevets, Savrasov painted landscapes for Perov's Bird catcher and Hunters on Bivouac.

In the 1860s, he traveled to England to see the International Exhibition, and to Switzerland. In one of his letters he wrote that no academies in the world could so advance an artist as the present world exhibition. The painters who influenced him most were British painter John Constable and Swiss painter Alexandre Calame.

The Rooks Have Come Back (1871) is considered by many critics to be the high point in Savrasov's artistic career. Using a common, even trivial, episode of birds returning home, and an extremely simple landscape, Savrasov emotionally showed the transition of nature from winter to spring. It was a new type of lyrical landscape painting, called later by critics the mood landscape. The painting brought him fame.

Publicado el 11/12/2012

+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/9/2013 2:53:42 AM

Dear friends, let me please show in succession now, in this and the next couple of posts, three wonderful master works by Alexei Savrasov that date back to the 1860s. First off a most beautiful, especially lyrical landscape painted in as early as 1860.

Alexei Savrasov - Summer Landscape
(oil on canvas, 1860)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/9/2013 3:16:24 AM

The next two master works produced in that decade were painted during Savrasov's tour of Switzerland and England. Here is one that makes me wonder if William Turner may have influenced him with one of his own landscapes brought from that country.

Alexei Savrasov - View of the Swiss Alps from Interlaken
(oil on canvas, 1862)

+1

facebook
Like us on Facebook!