Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: From the history!
9/14/2013 9:37:12 AM

I have to admit you bring the most incredible cases up here, Hafiz.

Quote:
Mono wheel cycle!!

Monowheels are one of those interesting historical curiosities that (sadly) just didn’t catch on. This particular monowheel was built by the Italian M. Goventosa from Udine, in Northeast Italy, just before WWII. It looks like it’s powered by a single cylinder air-cooled engine and it’s drivetrain is unlike anything ever seen, It is not even entirely sure how it works.

There are actually people still building and selling monowheels, if you’ve ever wanted one you can hit the link here and pick up a rather polished red example to use whilst pootling around your country estate.

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+0
10/11/2013 3:17:39 AM
It is so interesting.
+1
Hafiz 2013

791 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
1/4/2014 2:48:15 PM
The World's First Photograph:
One summer day in France in 1826, Joseph Niepce took the world's first photograph. It's a photo of some farm buildings and the sky. It took an exposure time of 8 hours.

+1
Hafiz 2013

791 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
1/19/2014 8:47:15 AM
Punishment of the elephant!!

On September 13th, 1916, more than eighty years ago, the small town of Erwin, Tennessee witnessed an event that has gone down in history as one of the most barbaric acts of animal cruelty ever committed.

On the 12th of September, 1916, the Sparks Brothers Circus came to Kingsport, Tennessee and with them came Mary – a thirty-year-old, five-ton elephant. Red Eldridge was the man charged with the job of elephant ‘under keeper', despite his inexperience, and was responsible for feeding Mary between shows. Nobody knows exactly what happened that day, but at some point between shows Red prodded her sensitive ear with a bull hook, enraging her. The animal then grabbed him with her trunk and threw him against a drink stand before trampling him to death under her great weight.

Mass panic ensued. Crowds baying for Mary's blood marched through the streets screaming "kill the elephant!" and seconds later a blacksmith opened fire, only to realize that the poor animal's hide was too thick to be penetrated by normal caliber rounds. Sheriff Hickman ‘arrested' Mary and staked her next to the county jail for all to see before demanding that Charlie Sparks guaranteed she would not harm the public. Several towns in the state even claimed they would not allow the circus to visit whilst Mary was still alive.

Something had to be done and that night Charlie and his brother Addie decided upon drastic measures: the next day Mary the elephant was hung by her neck from a railroad car at the Clinchfield rail yard before a crowd of onlookers. Her suffering was prolonged when the chain on the industrial crane used to winch her into the air snapped, causing her to fall and break her hip. The second attempt was successful and Mary was buried beside the railroad tracks near the spot where she was hung.

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/19/2014 9:41:27 AM

That was awful, Hafiz; the poor beast was not guilty on any accounts, she did not ask to be there in the first place; she only reacted as a little child would. It was the people who were guilty and if there is any justice in the world, I hope they paid somehow for what they did to her.

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!