Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
Cowboy artists
5/16/2013 9:11:32 PM

COWBOY ARTISTS

Yep. You heard right pardner!

America and Canada have a wonderful history of pioneer folk who opened up their new countries.

In the West of America the cowboy image became a worldwide image.

Please bring us all your favorite cowboy or pioneer paintings.

Every thing from Cowboys and goldrush days welcome.

Find an artist and bring their work.

CHARLIE DYE

Charlie Dye, one of the founders of the Cowboy Artists of America, had two natural affinities. He was good with horses and he could draw. Born in Colorado in 1906, Dye was introduced to cowboy life at an early age. By his seventeenth birthday, he could hold his own with the most seasoned top hands on ranches in California, Colorado, and Oregon. Like Charles Russell, one of his artistic heroes, Dye spent much of his time as a working cowboy. As a hobby, he drew scenes from the cowboy life he lived. His early days were spent in a wide variety of other pursuits, too – ranching, playing semi-professional football, and even working as a bodyguard for a politician.

Dye acquired his formal art training in Chicago, Illinois, where he attended the Art Institute and the American Academy of Art. From there he moved to New York City, where he established himself in the field of magazine and book illustration. In the 1950's his family made a trip to the West to visit his ailing sister. That trip, coinciding with the decline in the market for magazine illustration, led Dye to decide to leave the East Coast to try his hand at Western art. For a short time, he taught art in Colorado, but he had greater success with his Western paintings, which were selling well in several galleries. Dye was successful enough to purchase a home and studio in Sedona, Arizona, in 1962, where he lived for the rest of his life.

Disciplined by his many years as an illustrator, Dye was a prolific painter and natural storyteller. He was also a gifted draftsman and relied on sketches and drawings to rough out his paintings. Although Dye painted a wide variety of Western subjects, he had a passion for depicting the working cowboy. As a young boy, he had observed firsthand the skill that was needed to succeed in that line of work. As a teenager, he had worked his way from wrangler to top hand. Later, as an artist, he brought an insider's knowledge to his portraits of both the historic and contemporary cowboy.

+2
Michael Caron

2248 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Cowboy artists
5/16/2013 9:43:28 PM

10_1_136.gifHowdy Pawdner,

Well, yippy ki yay ki oh!! I reckon I'm a gonna like this thread. I lived in Texas for five years and the best man at my second wedding back in Massachusetts, well his handle was Slim. Slim Williams. He had a Nightclub called the New Pioneer. It was there that I met Tex Ritter. We formed our own country band and I played the Jug, once I emptied it that is. Slim had his own band, but this one would be the fill in band. He recorded a couple of our songs and then we decided to name the band. Everybody came up with what they thought the name should be. Finally, it came to my suggestion. I said, "Well sir, judging by what we thought we sounded like and what the recordings showed us what we sound like, I reckon the only name I can come up with is The Pioneer Pukes." The following week there was a big display in the local newspaper urging people to Mosey on down to The New Pioneer Nightclub for the Grand Premeire of The Pioneer Pukes. It was a sellout!! YeeeeeHaaaah!! Sorry, I got carried away.

GOD BLESS YOU

~Mike~

http://www.countryvalues65.com

96p.gif96p.gif96p.gif

Michael J. Caron (Mike) TRUTH IN ADVERTISING!! Friends First. Business Later.
+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/16/2013 10:28:05 PM
Hi Mike,

Did you ever visit the thread 'The Hudson River School' in my art forum? Not that it showed only paintings depicting the cowboy world, but you could have found it most gratifying to your senses and, perhaps, your emotions, because the school mainly centered on works depicting, I would say in a highly poetic way, the midwest and the far west of your country. And all the works were, of course still are, great works of art as well. It is one of the threads that I have enjoyed most creating and developing here in Adland.

By the way, Thomas Cole, who was the creator and the main artist of the school, was
born in England, but he migrated to the U.S. very early in his life. And he brought along with him all the art and the school of other great British artists such as Constable, Reynolds and Turner, to name but a few, and put it all in his own paintings.

The paintings posted by Roger in this thread have reminded me very much of those paintings.

Miguel

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/17/2013 1:23:45 AM
Hi Roger,

These paintings are very nice. Looking at his picture, I would never have guessed he was a painter. He looks more like a cowboy. Looks don't always mean anything. These paintings remind me of the old cowboy movies. cool.

LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+2
Branka Babic

1352 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
5/17/2013 4:18:41 AM
Quote:
Hi Mike,

Did you ever visit the thread 'The Hudson River School' in my art forum? Not that it showed only paintings depicting the cowboy world, but you could have found it most gratifying to your senses and, perhaps, your emotions, because the school mainly centered on works depicting, I would say in a highly poetic way, the midwest and the far west of your country. And all the works were, of course still are, great works of art as well. It is one of the threads that I have enjoyed most creating and developing here in Adland.

By the way, Thomas Cole, who was the creator and the main artist of the school, was
born in England, but he migrated to the U.S. very early in his life. And he brought along with him all the art and the school of other great British artists such as Constable, Reynolds and Turner, to name but a few, and put it all in his own paintings.

The paintings posted by Roger in this thread have reminded me very much of those paintings.

Miguel

Miguel,

I've seen your comment on Pinterest last night, but my last atoms of strength left me after pinning and tweeting those pics :), so I couldn't say how much I agree with you. Again must tell how little I knew about Cowboy paintings until now.

Thank you Roger.
I am looking forward to learn more.

Mike, thanks for sharing your great Texan memories :).
+2

facebook
Like us on Facebook!