Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
David Rowland

194 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Edible wild plants, some folks call them weeds....
4/24/2013 8:46:34 PM
There are a lot of wild plants that are edible, that our ancestors ate, and that we can still eat today. However, you must learn what each plant is, and what parts of that plant are edible. I'll be listing plants here that are edible, what parts are edible, and pictures of those plants to help identify them. Some of these plants just about everyone knows, such as dandelions, but there are others that many people don't realize are edible, and have medicinal uses also.

I will also be posting links to videos about edible plants.
Daves Wire Creations --- Handcrafted wire wrap jewelry http://www.DavesWireCreations.artfire.com
+2
David Rowland

194 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
RE: Edible wild plants, some folks call them weeds....
4/24/2013 8:50:55 PM
Here is an excellent video on edible wild plants. As always, make sure that you know what you are getting before you eat something wild. This video is almost one hour long.

Daves Wire Creations --- Handcrafted wire wrap jewelry http://www.DavesWireCreations.artfire.com
+3
Diane Bjorling

2586 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/24/2013 9:12:34 PM
looking forward to hearing more about this topic ( with images to see these edible plants I hope)

Diane
+1
David Rowland

194 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
4/24/2013 9:32:03 PM
The common dandelion has many uses, and just about every part of the plant is edible. The flowers and leaves can be used in salads, and the roots can be dried and ground up to make a medicinal tea.

Dandelions have been used as a liver tonic and diuretic for centuries. The roots contain inulin and levulin, which are starchlike substances that may help control blood sugar and taraxacin, which may help stimulate digestion.

The roots can be eaten raw, steamed, dried and roasted, or ground into tea. The flowers can be used in dandelion wine, or in salads, dipped in batter and made into dandelion fritters, or made into jelly.

The leaves can be eaten as greens, raw, steamed, sauteed, braised, or boiled. For salads, the leaves need to be young and tender. The older leaves are best for cooking.

NOTE: If you have been using herbicides to control the weeds in your yard, DO NOT EAT THE DANDELIONS for at least 6 months to a year, until the toxins have had a chance to leach out of your dandelions and soil.

Dandelion picture.jpg
+1
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/25/2013 12:28:24 AM
Hi Dave,

This is a wonderful forum. I have been wondering about something like this. Looks like you have answered my thoughts.

My grandfather made dandelion wine, best wine for cramps. Grandmother wouldn't give me any until I was really feeling very bad, it would help almost right away.
LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+1

facebook
Like us on Facebook!