Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Diane Bjorling

2586 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Richie Havens, Woodstock legend, dies at 72
4/23/2013 1:49:43 PM
Richie Havens a protest music hero and the man who opened the 1969 Woodstock festival died on Monday morning at the age of 72.
While many people have their own stories to tell about Woodstock, there are many who will agree that with so many young people in a large gathering, this festival could have turned into a political event or a disaster, Richie Havens set the tone for the festival....

"When he turned 70 a couple of years ago, Richie Havens noted with pride that, "I don't feel one iota different from the day I walked into Greenwich Village" 50 years prior. "Everything I hoped for has happened," he told Billboard. "I never had a bad day on stage. I don't think I'm ever going to go away...least while I'm alive."

Havens, a protest music hero ("Handsome Johnny," "No Opportunity Necessary...," "Stop Pulling and Pushing Me") and the man who opened the 1969 Woodstock festival, died on Monday morning from a sudden heart attack at his home in New Jersey, according to his publicist. He was 72. In March of 2012, Havens had announced an end to his 45-year touring career, citing health issues."...Billboard

He was a beautiful soul... may he rest in peace!

+4
Branka Babic

1352 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
RE: Richie Havens, Woodstock legend, dies at 72
4/23/2013 2:03:50 PM
Diane, I've seen this news in the morning, but Mr. Alzheimer has joined me before than I got my first caffee, and poor man forgot to leave me alone :(. I was circulating around ten times or more, knowing that I have to do something, but ...

Rest In Peace Mr. Havens!

+3
Diane Bjorling

2586 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/23/2013 2:24:25 PM
Don't feel bad Branka, I had intended to get this post up last night, but everything else got in the way.

I was one of the fortunate people who got to see him at Woodstock, so what I said about him setting the tone for the festival comes from personal knowledge.

He will be missed!
+3
Branka Babic

1352 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
4/23/2013 2:37:29 PM
Quote:
Don't feel bad Branka, I had intended to get this post up last night, but everything else got in the way.

I was one of the fortunate people who got to see him at Woodstock, so what I said about him setting the tone for the festival comes from personal knowledge.

He will be missed!

Thanks for understanding me Diane.

I must admit that I was not fan of Richie Havens (just slightly I remember a few of his songs). Of course that does not mean that I do not respect his life and music. Just .... somehow he remained out of zone of my best moments of life (I remember them mainly on the songs which have labeled them).

But reglardless of personal affinities, sad thing is that one great man has passed the border of visibility and that he'll surely be missed.
+2
Jim
Jim Allen

11253 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/23/2013 3:02:36 PM
I was there in spirit, didn't make the trip was still a bit young the folks said. Here he is at that concert a good version too.

Quote:

He will be missed!

May Wisdom and the knowledge you gained go with you,

Jim Allen III
Everything You Need For Online Success

+2

facebook
Like us on Facebook!