Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: The Surrealist Phenomenon - SALVADOR DALI
1/27/2013 2:23:40 AM

Miscelanea
(VI)

Salvador Dali - Portrait of My Dead Brother (gouache on canvas, 1963)

Salvador Dali - "Character Masquerading in Pinning Up a Butterfly"
(oil on wood, 1965)

Salvador Dali - Mad Mad Mad Minerva - Illustration for "Memories of Surrealism"
(oil, gouache and indian ink with photo collage on paper, circa 1968)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/27/2013 10:52:36 AM

The portait of his dead brother is great. Love the concept. Using the dotted photoprinting technique is wonderful idea.

The butterfly pinning is quite crazy but has that studied masters skill. The reseach comes out again.

Dalis love of different materials shows again in the"mad Mad" picture. Never frightened to experiment AND GET IT RIGHT, is to me, something to aspire to.

I love gouache and this has encouraged me to try it on canvas. Can't wait to try.

Thanks for the images and thanks to you and Dali for the inspiration.

Roger

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/28/2013 3:24:22 AM

Hi Roger, and thank you so much for your comments on the latest batch of Dali's works in my previous post. They are of course all interesting and valid and I have taken note of them. But what I wanted to mention has rather to do with the 'Mad, Mad Minerva' picture, which I had lost track of for a while among all the others.

It is this: aside from its novelty and great beauty, have you noticed the (triple) image of a nautilus appearing on Minerva's head?
For a while, this nautilus image has made me wonder what it might represent, since it is no doubt an important element in Dali's Discovery of America by Christopher Columbus and, if I m not mistaken, also in a number of other works by him.

But I am afraid this new obsession of mine will have to wait, it is late now and Adland website is apparently having trouble. A recess would seem to be in order now.

Quote:

The portait of his dead brother is great. Love the concept. Using the dotted photoprinting technique is wonderful idea.

The butterfly pinning is quite crazy but has that studied masters skill. The reseach comes out again.

Dalis love of different materials shows again in the"mad Mad" picture. Never frightened to experiment AND GET IT RIGHT, is to me, something to aspire to.

I love gouache and this has encouraged me to try it on canvas. Can't wait to try.

Thanks for the images and thanks to you and Dali for the inspiration.

Roger

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/28/2013 8:40:26 AM

Miguel,

I understand your interest in this.

I have done a little online research without a result. Let's see what we can uncover.

Take a break Miguel.

Roger

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/30/2013 1:44:29 AM
Roger,

I am afraid I made a serious mistake in the matter of the 'nautilus' since, for one thing, it is not a nautilus but a sea urchin that I was talking about. No wonder that I was not able to find any reference to it. I don't know how I could confound one for the other.

On the other hand, I have just remembered I mentioned Myrna, in the very first page (third post) of this thread,
where it was that I had seen interesting and enigmatic references (I called them 'hidden meanings') to the master work that motivated this thread. I even gave her this link where she might find such references, including astronaut Neil Armstrong's likely but involuntary role in the work's conception.

This said, here is
a big reproduction of Dali's The Discovery of America by Christopher Columbus and below it, another fascinating article on it which, in the last paragraph, makes an enigmatic reference to the sea urchin that is prominently shown at its bottom. However, the mystery remains unsolved as, while Dali is said to have mentioned that he had a reason behind his predilection to paint sea urchins, he nevertheless is also said to have never revealed what that reason was.

The Discovery Of America By Christopher Columbus (1958-59)

Salvador Dali

Dalí completed his tenth masterwork, The Discovery of America by Christopher Columbus, in 1959. This work, which is almost 14 feet tall, is an ambitious homage to Dalí's Spain, combining Spanish history, religion, art and myth.

This painting was commissioned for Huntington Hartford's Gallery of Modern Art on Columbus Circle in New York. At that time, some Catalan historians claimed that Columbus was actually from Catalonia, not Italy. From that perspective, the discovery of America was all the more relevant for Dalí, who was himself Catalan.

Dalí's inspiration for this work was a painting titled The Surrender of Breda by the great 17th century Spanish painter, Velazquez. Dalí repeated the image of spears from that painting on the right hand side of his work. Within these spears, Dalí painted the image of a crucified Christ, based on a drawing by the Spanish mystic Saint John.

The banner that Columbus is holding bears the likeness of Dalí's wife, Gala. She appears as a saint, suggesting that she was Dalí's muse, and that she was responsible for his own "discovery of America," where he captured the attention of the world with her encouragement.

The gadflies and the bishop at the bottom left are a reference to a Catalan folk legend about Saint Narciso. In this legend, on three occasions gadflies emerge from the tomb of St. Narciso to drive away French invaders. Dalí used this myth to underline the Catalan people's strength against foreign influence and to express his patriotic devotion to his homeland's independence.

The most enigmatic element of all in this painting is a celestial sea urchin in the foreground. It was painted in the 1950s, and Dalí told the Morses that the sea urchin's meaning would only be apparent later. In the summer of 1971, Eleanor Morse remarked that Dalí had meant the urchin to symbolize the moon and Neil Armstrong's future first footstep on the moon. Through this symbolism, Dalí paralleled Armstrong's moon walk with Columbus's discovery of America, so that there was a clear continuity between the discovery of the "new world" in 1492 and the discovery of another "new world" in 1969.

<This work is rich in detail. For a much larger view, click here.>

Notes courtesy of the Dali Museum

+1

facebook
Like us on Facebook!