Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: The Surrealist Phenomenon - SALVADOR DALI
1/2/2013 4:35:21 PM
Myrna and Roger,

May I add Dali was also deep in the study of perspective, which he employed on this work in a brilliant way. So not only was his interest in atoms which drove him into producing this extraordinary painting, but also perspective played a big role in it.

Now if you see, not only do those atoms interact in space without touching each other as pointed out by studies in Dali's work, but there is also a depth of perspective in them which, according to his contemporaries, Dali also held in great consideration. And if I am not mistaken, the fact that they appear to come from the center of everything points to a likely metaphysical connotation with the Center of the World - an esoteric notion apparently very dear to Dali as well - and, maybe, with the theory of the initial Big Bang, which would introduce time into the equation as the origin of everything.

By the way, these factors may also have played a main role in Dali's Madonna of Port Lligat, which was painted in 1949 as well; in fact, Dali had become deeply interested in nuclear physics since the first atomic bomb explosions of 1945 and atom was,
in his own words, his "favorite food for thought."

Thanks for your great, stimulating input.

Miguel

Salvador Dali - Galatea of the Spheres (oil on canvas, 1952)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/2/2013 10:07:03 PM

The agony of love (watercolour)

+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/2/2013 10:12:08 PM

Design for a saloon

1951 Pencil & Watercolor on Paper
Laid Down on Board

+0
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/3/2013 2:12:33 AM
The Design for the Saloon is cool. You could call the stools, saddle stools instead of bar stools.

Can you explain this one! Why the brick wall. I can see and understand the bleeding heart, but the rest doesn't make sense to me.

LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/3/2013 10:52:11 AM
Two more Dali paintings having to do with atoms and/or atomic bomb explosions

Salvador Dali - Feather Equilibrium (Interatomic Balance of a Swan's Feather)
(
oil on canvas, 1947)

Salvador Dali -
The Three Sphinxes of Bikini (oil on canvas, 1947)

With regard to Dali's Three Sphinx of Bikini (in http://hroman.com/three-sphinxes-of-bikini-salvador-dali/):

"Between the years of 1946 and 1958 (AFTER world war two), the United States conducted 23 nuclear tests at the Micronesian atoll, Bikini. The tests caused the radioactive contamination of the entire system of islands. The (roughly) two hundred Micronesians who inhabited the islands were relocated by the US before the tests, and eventually brought back in 1968. The US lost a lawsuit to the Micronesians in the amount of $100 million when it was discovered, ten years later in 1978, that the levels of radioactivity were still dangerously high.

These experimental explosions on the atoll of Bikini inspired Dali to paint the Three Sphinxes. Dali himself was a surrealist painter. If you look at the point of view of “expressionism,” then paintings in general are supposed to emphasize the expression of inner experience rather than a solely “photographic” portrayal of reality. It is subjective emotions and responses that objects and events arouse in the artist. In surrealism, it goes one step further: it’s the unconscious that is emphasized, and paintings express the workings of the mind by using symbolic imagery and interesting juxtaposition of subject matter. [...]

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1