Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Patricia Bartch

9394 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Mystery of Angkor Wat Temple's Huge Stones Solved
11/2/2012 9:31:33 PM
WHEN I SAW THESE... I THOUGHT WOW!!
lol....Roger already said it!
pat

Quote:

Wow.

We put ourselves down through our mismanagement of resources but our ingenuity is beyond doubt.

I'm Your AVON LADY: http://youravon.com/pbartch *Ask me how to get FREE Shipping.
+0
Michael Caron

2248 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/3/2012 5:27:08 AM

Hi Luis and friends,

I wonder if, when sites like these were being excavated if anyone ever searched the areas around these structures for skeletal remains. The reason that I ask this is because this structure,along with the great Pyramids, Stone henge and various sites in the United States and Mexico utilized very large stones that were shaped into precise patterns. Although we know that it took several hundred men to transport one stone to it's destination, it would also be interesting to find out what the average height of each person was. By determining this, we could find out once and for all if Giants did roam our planet, and if so, where in particular did they reside. I am hoping that we will learn much in this forum, because it is a very fascinating subject. I agree with Joyce as well. Perhaps in ancient times, people worked together rather than each person having a better way to do things and eventually nothing gets done. I would love to meet a ten foot person one day. Preferrably a woman.

GOD BLESS YOU

~Mike~

http://www.countryvalues65.com

Michael J. Caron (Mike) TRUTH IN ADVERTISING!! Friends First. Business Later.
+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/3/2012 10:13:59 PM

Dear friends,

Thanks for all your great feedback.

I remember reading a book on Angkor Wat by a French old visitor to the site, it must have been about fifty years ago; but the book, about one hundred and fifty pages of small letter, was so well written, it kept your interest in such a masterly way, that I read it through with delight in only one night. It was like Joyce says, it made me sort of an invisible time-traveler and I would never forget the experience. Not only the temple itself, but the many kilometers of great avenues around the place with their hundreds of imposing monuments I toured in wonder that night. I did not mind if the lots of stairs and cubicles were dirty or filled with spider webs all around because I was so fascinated by everything I saw, that my interest grew at every step. At the same time, I felt like I was being scrutinized by a million eyes from the people that had inhabited the temple and maybe participated in its erection many centuries before. I did not feel uncomfortable by this, it was like they had become my accomplices into their territory and that they were delighted with my visiting them.

But I don't want to bore you with my reveries. What that great little book made me understand was that to build any gigantic and precious edification such as the Angkor Wat temple was with its surrounding avenues and gardens, you and everyone participating in the task must be imbued with such a deep and elevated inspiration as only a highly transcendent spiritual endeavor can evoke. Only thus will you also be able to get the necessary collaboration from the thousands of laborers and, in particular, from the many great architects and sculptors that you will need to complete such a precious work of art.

As to the ancient techniques required to move huge building blocks to a work site: there is another fascinating book, "Aku Aku" (by Thor Heyerdahl, the great Norwegian ethnographer and adventurer) that describes them in great detail and, in my opinion, most convincingly. But that is another story that I hope to tell you about soon.

Hugs and blessings,

Miguel

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/5/2012 5:55:49 PM
A few more great photos of Angkor Wat temple and surroundings

Angkor Wat Lake (copyright Daniel Cowan, 2002) (click to enlarge)

Angkor Wat forest view (click to enlarge)

Angkor Wat dancers (click to enlarge)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/5/2012 6:09:56 PM

Symbolism (from Wikipedia)

The temples of Angkor are highly symbolic structures. The foremost Hindu concept is the temple-mountain, where the temple is built as a representation of the mythical Mount Meru: this is why so many temples, including Angkor Wat itself, are surrounded by moats, built in a mountain-like pyramidal shape and topped by precisely five towers, representing the five peaks of Mount Meru. The linga (phallus), representing the god Shiva, was also critical and while the lingas themselves have largely gone, linga stands (carved, table-like blocks of stone) can be found in many if not most rooms in the temples. There was also a political element to it all: most kings wanted to build their own state temples to symbolize their kingdom and their rule.

While early Angkor temples were built as Hindu temples, Jayavarman VII converted to Mahayana Buddhism c. 1200 and embarked on a prodigious building spree, building the new capital city of Angkor Thom including Bayon, Ta Prohm, Preah Khan and many more as Buddhist structures. However, his successor Jayavarman VIII returned to Hinduism and embarked on an equally massive spree of destruction, systematically defacing Buddhist images and even crudely altering some to be Hindu again. Hinduism eventually lost out to Buddhism again, but the (few) Buddha images in the temples today are later Theraveda additions.

One element that continues to mystify archaeologists is the baray, or water reservoir, built in a grand scale around Angkor: for example, the West Baray is a mind-boggling 8 km by 2.3 km in size. While it has long been assumed that they were used for irrigation, some historians argue that their primary function was political or religious. Not a single outlet has been found, either by eye or by NASA imaging. The moat around Angkor and the West Baray still contains water, but the rest have dried up.

Two Monks walk with Angkor Wat temple on the background

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!