Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
RE: SOUND OFF ON ANY TOPIC YOU WANT TO.
7/28/2012 7:20:06 PM

Kathleen that is a great idea and I nominate you to tell the media. Just joking, but you're right about what you say. I have to shut down for a while, we have another afternoon thunderstorm coming in, the second one today.

Quote:

More people should visit the library on a daily basis and use the free computers to earn a free living online. Why don't they? Some companies such as Clickbank will pay by check by postal mail, and people can go to a check-cashing place if they don't have a bank account. People need to know what's available to them online for free. Lots of people are not aware of the massive amounts of ways to earn online, and they don't always need to get paid by online payment processor. Libraries are free, there should be a lot more adults using library computers. The reason they don't is...the mass media doesn't say anything about internet work-from-home jobs, the mass media is still trying to push everyone to spend $10,000's on going to college and then wait for someone else to hire them. People need to stop waiting and really start DOING for themselves. If all they know HOW to do is panhandle, it's time for the media (who KNOWS about internet earning) to educate the general public that it IS possible to earn money for free online at the library. Maybe the media doesn't know it, maybe someone needs to tell the media so word can get out there.

+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/28/2012 11:50:05 PM
Hi Evelyn and friends,

It may not be admitted by many, but it is official now.

Pop Music All Sounds the Same Nowadays
Different releases of Michael Jackson's song "Black or White" show increasing loudness over time.

Your parents are officially correct. Nowadays, pop music all sounds pretty much the same.

Researchers in Spain came to the conclusion after tracking the timbre, pitch and volume of nearly a half-million songs releasedbetween 1955 and 2010. They found that in this music dataset — which spanned rock, pop, hip-hop, metal and electronic genres —the transitions between chords (a string of notes played at the same time), note combinations, tone and instrument choices all became less and less diverse over time. Meanwhile, the songs grew intrinsically louder.

In short, there's been "a progressive homogenization of the musical discourse," Joan Serrà of the Spanish National Research Counciland colleagues wrote in a paper published yesterday (July 26) in the journal Scientific Reports. "In particular, we obtain numerical indicators that the diversity of transitions between note combinations (roughly speaking, chords and melodies) has consistently diminished in the last 50 years."

Whereas in 1960 you might have heard startling chord transitions, unfamiliar instruments and variation in the volume over the course of a song played on the radio, tunes today restrict themselves to the "fashionable" set of chords and note combinations, and maintain a uniformly high volume from beginning to end. [Why Do We Love Music?]

Although no one had previously quantified the trend toward louder music, many in the recording industry colloquially refer to the effect as the "loudness war." More and more these days, when a new album is being digitally mastered, engineers compress and distort the recording until it more frequently peaks at the maximum amplitude, sacrificing sound quality in the process.

Instead of lamenting the deafening dullness of contemporary pop music, the researchers suggest ways in which their findings can be used to revamp old hits for today's audience.

"An old tune rerecorded using modern techniques that allow for increased loudness and with slightly simpler chord progressions and new instrument sonorities could be perceived as novel and fashionable," Serrà said in a statement.

Follow Natalie Wolchover on Twitter @nattyover or Life's Little Mysteries @llmysteries. We're also on Facebook & Google+.

Copyright 2012 Lifes Little Mysteries, a TechMediaNetwork company. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+0
7/29/2012 12:35:54 PM

Hi Miguel, I agree whole heartedly and I guess that is why there is very little of it I like. I hope your weekend is going great. :)

Quote:
Hi Evelyn and friends,

It may not be admitted by many, but it is official now.

Pop Music All Sounds the Same Nowadays

Different releases of Michael Jackson's song "Black or White" show increasing loudness over time.

Your parents are officially correct. Nowadays, pop music all sounds pretty much the same.

Researchers in Spain came to the conclusion after tracking the timbre, pitch and volume of nearly a half-million songs releasedbetween 1955 and 2010. They found that in this music dataset — which spanned rock, pop, hip-hop, metal and electronic genres —the transitions between chords (a string of notes played at the same time), note combinations, tone and instrument choices all became less and less diverse over time. Meanwhile, the songs grew intrinsically louder.

In short, there's been "a progressive homogenization of the musical discourse," Joan Serrà of the Spanish National Research Counciland colleagues wrote in a paper published yesterday (July 26) in the journal Scientific Reports. "In particular, we obtain numerical indicators that the diversity of transitions between note combinations (roughly speaking, chords and melodies) has consistently diminished in the last 50 years."

Whereas in 1960 you might have heard startling chord transitions, unfamiliar instruments and variation in the volume over the course of a song played on the radio, tunes today restrict themselves to the "fashionable" set of chords and note combinations, and maintain a uniformly high volume from beginning to end. [Why Do We Love Music?]

Although no one had previously quantified the trend toward louder music, many in the recording industry colloquially refer to the effect as the "loudness war." More and more these days, when a new album is being digitally mastered, engineers compress and distort the recording until it more frequently peaks at the maximum amplitude, sacrificing sound quality in the process.

Instead of lamenting the deafening dullness of contemporary pop music, the researchers suggest ways in which their findings can be used to revamp old hits for today's audience.

"An old tune rerecorded using modern techniques that allow for increased loudness and with slightly simpler chord progressions and new instrument sonorities could be perceived as novel and fashionable," Serrà said in a statement.

Follow Natalie Wolchover on Twitter @nattyover or Life's Little Mysteries @llmysteries. We're also on Facebook & Google+.

Copyright 2012 Lifes Little Mysteries, a TechMediaNetwork company. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

+0
7/29/2012 2:33:51 PM

I recently was introduced to this gentleman when someone sent me one of his videos and I found him to be very upfront and very knowledgeable on the subjects he speaks about. I think this one hits the nail on the head and should give us all food for thought.

"The Cowardly Christians of America Club"

+0
Michael Caron

2248 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/29/2012 4:55:10 PM

10_1_136.gifEvelvn and Kathleen,

Thank you so much for your concern. I have learned that Billy was actually 83. I agree, I also did not realize that Lyme Disease was deadly, however at 83 our systems do not withstand as much as it did in our earlier years. As far as why an email rather than a phone call. There can be a lot of reasonable answers, however none would be sufficient. Perhaps a third or fourth cousin down the line receives a phone call and I receive an email. This would mean that a distant cousin has more worth than a brother. I am alright with that. I have said on many occasions that I have always been the Black Sheep of our family. I love every one of my brothers and sisters and the fact that they have never returned that love hurts, but I understand. When I needed help I called my brother(the one that emailed me)and explained why I needed help and asked for a small amount to help us out. When I had not heard back in over two months I first called my brother Jack and then Billy. Jack told me that I needed to stop pestering the family. The last time that I asked for any help was at least ten years ago. Billy was not home so I left a message. About two weeks later I received a letter from Billy with a $100.00 check. He had been on vacation and had gotten the message on his return home. He explained that he had just spent quite a bit of money helping grandchildren and really couldn't afford it, however we are family. Jack also sent a check about a week later and finally we received a little help from Carl. It hurts me to even have to ask for help, but there are times that you need to rely on others. On money problems or other concerns, Billy has always been the one who has helped me without first making me feel guilty. The best way to sum up my brothers and sisters is to say that they all had successful lives and because my life has been less than perfect, I am not welcome in their world. That is perfectly alright because they will always be welcome in mine.

GOD BLESS YOU

~Mike~

http://www.countryvalues65.com

Michael J. Caron (Mike) TRUTH IN ADVERTISING!! Friends First. Business Later.
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!