Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Man finds rare Picasso print at thrift store
3/30/2012 9:51:02 PM
Quote:

Hello Luis Miguel!

WOW! Interesting story!

Blessings

Alain

Hello and welcome, Alain. I am so glad you showed up.

Blessings too,

Miguel

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/31/2012 10:17:36 AM
Quote:

Quote:

You are right, Roger. Mike, I had a similar experience a few years ago which fortunately let me bring a fine porcelaine tea set to my home for less than twenty dollars. It was at a popular fair in my district, and only one of the tea cups was not intact. I still remember how happy I was feeling on my way home with my 'treasure'. And I am sure I could get similar offers at the same place even now.

Who knows?, I might try my luck again one of these days if and when I have some money left in my pocket - which is not very frequent at present. :(

Thank you friends for the feedback,

Miguel

It's good luck and a sharp eye that leads to these lovely finds. The great thing is often, not justr the profit, but, that the object has been recognised foir what it is and not ignored or destroyed.

My wife knows about glass and saw what she knew to be a GOOD piece of glass but didn't know WHAT it was. She bought it for around £3 Stirling about three years previously and enjoyed and used it. Then, when she needed a little money for something she decided to get a second opinion on it. She discovered that it was made by Whitefriars of London and ended up selling it for £80. Pretty good profit.

As I say, it was saved from oblivion because it might well have ended up on a tip somewhere, unwanted and unloved.

Good news all round.

The only sad thing about the Picasso story is the fact that the merit is in the originators fame and not really in the actual item which, in terms of a piece of art, is not really a stunning piece.

+0
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/31/2012 11:00:35 PM
HI Miguel,

It would be interesting to know just what he did with his painting or how much profit he make. I think this would be so exciting to find something rare or with a good value.

LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/1/2012 1:16:44 AM
Quote:

The only sad thing about the Picasso story is the fact that the merit is in the originators fame and not really in the actual item which, in terms of a piece of art, is not really a stunning piece.

Again you are right, Roger. Picasso himself was fully aware that what might be rubbish to him, in fact was "a Picasso" to other people and there are stories to exemplify this.

It is told that a journalist who was interviewing the famous artist in his studio spotted a discarded drawing of a pidgeon in a waste basket on his side and asked him if he might please keep it. Picasso replied that he could have it for five thousand dollars. And when the journalist retorted how he could ask that much for a discarded drawing, Picasso added this exactly, that what to him might be but a trifle, to the journalist was
a Picasso.

Here is one of Picasso's most celebrated self-portraits and inmediately below, a seated Harlequin of 1929. While not exactly selected by chance, they are enough evidence that he could certainly paint.

Pablo Picasso. Self-portrait, 1907 (oil on canvas)

Pablo Picasso. The seated Harlequin, 1929 (oil on canvas)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/1/2012 1:45:35 AM
Quote:
HI Miguel,

It would be interesting to know just what he did with his painting or how much profit he make. I think this would be so exciting to find something rare or with a good value.

Hi Myrna,

Thank you so much for showing up.

I cheched out a number of posts on the web and all of them just offered the same info, without any other details. Looks like this kind of news are given for mass consumption only; but we may try to draw a bit more from just this, maybe by posting a few really good Picassos like, for example, this one.

How do you like it?

Pablo Picasso - Boy with a Pipe, 1909 (oil on canvas)

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!