Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
The real-life model for the 'Mona Lisa'?
2/3/2011 12:09:31 AM
Dear Friends,

A New Theory for "Mona Lisa"

by Mike Krumboltz

The Web goes in search of confirmation as an Italian historian announces a surprising theory.

For centuries, people have been speculating about who modeled for Leonardo Da Vinci's "Mona Lisa." Was it Lisa Gherardini, the wife of a Florentine merchant? Was it Isabella of Aragon? Was itthe artist himself, as some experts believe? Or was it, as new research suggests, none of the above?

An Italian art historian, Silvano Vinceti, believes the model for the "Mona Lisa" was a man named Gian Giacomo Caprotti, better known as Salai, a male apprentice (and possible lover) of da Vinci.

At a press conference in Rome on Wednesday, Vinceti explained his theory. "Salai was a favorite model for Leonardo," Vinceti said. "Leonardo certainly inserted characteristics of Salai in the last version of the 'Mona Lisa.'" Vinceti pointed out the similarities between the noses and mouths as examples.

Following the press conference, Web searches on "da vinci salai" and "gian giacomo caprotti" both soared.

Earlier this year, Vinceti remarked that he discovered some objects in the eyes of the "Mona Lisa."He says he has found the letter "S" in the woman's left eye, the letter "L" in her right eye, and the number "72" under the bridge in the background. The images are not visible to the naked eye. Scientific equipment was used.

Vinceti doesn't necessarily believe that Salai was the only inspiration for the world's most famous painting. At the press conference, the historian said, "the 'Mona Lisa' must be read at various levels, not just as a portrait." In other words, according to Vinceti, there were likely multiple inspirations for the painting.

Not everyone agrees with Vinceti's opinions. In an interview with the AP, Marani, an art professor at Milan's Politecnico University, called Vinceti's theory "groundless." He further remarked, "The work ('Mona Lisa') began as the portrait of Lisa Gherardini, but over the years in Leonardo's hands it slowly turned into something else: an idealized portrait, not a specific one."

This isn't the first time an art expert has linked Salai to one of da Vinci's works. Vinceti believes other works, including "St. John the Baptist," were also based on Salai. Others have floated the "Mona Lisa" theory as well.

Leonardo da Vinci - Mona Lisa

More here:
The real-life model for the 'Mona Lisa'?

Hugs,

Luis Miguel Goitizolo

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: The real-life model for the 'Mona Lisa'?
2/3/2011 12:22:22 AM
Hi Luis,

Now that is interesting, could easily be possible.

Myrna
LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/3/2011 1:09:53 AM
Quote:
Hi Luis,

Now that is interesting, could easily be possible.

Myrna

Dear Myrna,

Thank you for your commentary. You are right, it is not only interesting but also very possible.

There is also Lillian Schwartz's theory - which can be summed up in the graphic below -
to take into account, however. It says Leonardo himself morphed into Mona Lisa.

fig. 15.
Lillian Schwartz
Mona Lisa/Leonardo Composite
from http://www.lillian.com/
where it is identified as follows:

"Mona/Leo by Lillian F. Schwartz
Copyright © 1987 Computer Creations Corp.
All rights reserved. Cannot be printed without permission."

On the other hand, I tend to idealize Leonardo and Leonardo's life maybe because in a famous biography of him by Vasari that I read long ago, it is explained how after living dissipatedly in his youth he became self-controlled and achieved wisdom, ultimately reaching perfection in both his life and art.

Thanks again,

Luis Miguel Goitizolo

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/3/2011 10:11:31 AM

Luis,

Was is wonderful is that the uncertainty that surrounds this image just adds to the mystery and feelings associated with this painting.

I watch the story with interest.

Roger

+1
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/3/2011 4:24:27 PM
Hi Luis,

Roger is right it is a mystery and the plot keeps getting thicker, or is the mystery being solved?

LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+1

facebook
Like us on Facebook!