Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Mountain pictorial paintings. A contrast of styles
1/29/2011 7:06:43 PM

Who can't adore this?

Tigua art is typically referred to as naïve art. However, it is extremely detailed and expresses much of the life and beliefs of the indigenous Ecuadorian. Scenes include people working in the fields, growing corn and other vegetables, herding farm animals, practicing religious rituals, and showing local scenery, which usually includes one or more of the volcanoes.

The indigenous artists of Tigua, Ecuador are renowned for their paintings. Tigua is located in the Central Andes of Ecuador where the Indian community resides between the Cotopaxi volcano and the Quilotoa crater. In their village Tigua the Quechua Indians maintain a tradition of paintings on sheepskin. On the paintings they depict their daily lives and their landscape. They show you the majestic Cotopaxi volcano (5981 m, the world’s highest active volcano) and the Quilotoa crater with its green lake. You see them herd their sheep and llamas, spinning wool, weaving cloths, and harvesting potatoes, barley and maize. You'll be shown their medicine men and their typical feasts (The Danzantes).

Traditionally, the Quichua people of the highlands decorated drums and masks for festivals and fiestas. Painting on a flat surface is a relatively recent development. Despite their lack of formal training, the artists of Tigua, have gained renown throughout Ecuador and beyond for the vitality of their paintings and detailed rendering of nature and traditional life in the remote highlands.

Tigua paintings are available almost everywhere. You’ll see them in any market you visit.

+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/29/2011 7:13:20 PM

My last today is a greatly atmospheric painting from central america.

Mexican artist

Siqueiros: Landscape Painter

+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/29/2011 9:54:50 PM
Quote:

I was surprised to find this Dali landscape.

A man full of surprises.

Roger, it does not look at all like "a" Dali.

What about this one?

Miguel

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+0
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/30/2011 3:07:37 AM
Hi Roger and Luis,

I think this is a conversation piece. OMG what is it? It looks funny to me.

Myrna
LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/30/2011 10:24:32 AM
Quote:
Hi Roger and Luis,

I think this is a conversation piece. OMG what is it? It looks funny to me.

Myrna

Sorry Myrna, I forgot to tell the name. It is "The Spectre of Sex Appeal", painted in 1934 apparently from one of Dali's dreams. In it, he depicts himself as a child watching a brutalized body of a woman who is barely able to support herself with the aid of sticks. In showing this painting, I mainly wanted to emphasize Dali's more usual themes.

The painting presented by Roger, "Landscape Near Figueres", really did not seem to me one of Dali's both for its theme and style. So I made a research and yes, it was painted by Dali but it was at the very beginning of his career, when he was strongly influenced by impressionism.

Miguel

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!