Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
RE: ARE YOU WORTHY? (The Biblical Test)
10/19/2010 5:08:09 PM
Quote:

Once again we see people using the term God without identifying who God is. Jesus is God in human flesh. There are many that use the word God but do not give credence to Jesus. The rejection of of Jesus is blasphemy.

Doug, I see what you are saying. But the capital "G" should be enough distinction. Because if you reject one, you reject both. John 1:1-5 says
" 1In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

2The same was in the beginning with God.

3All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

4In him was life; and the life was the light of men.

5And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not."

+0
10/19/2010 5:25:56 PM
Point taken, it used to be we could make that determination but it is not that way today. That's why I always like to make that distinction.
I've Recently Discovered the Secrets to Making Money on the Internet & Enjoy Sharing With My Friends
+0
10/19/2010 5:40:50 PM
True. I meant to emphasize the word "should". Because I definitely understand that what should be is, quite often not what actually is.
+0
10/20/2010 2:48:52 AM

Jesus Christ

“And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS; for he shall save his people from their sins.”
MATTHEW 1:21

Chat With a Mormon Online

Note: Your information will not be stored. It will be used only for the purposes of this chat. Privacy Policy.

Cancel

Jesus Christ, Our Savior

Building materials are imperfect. Some nails are crooked, some windows aren’t quite square and just about every board is a little curved. When building a home, a carpenter’s job is to form a perfect structure from these imperfect materials—to shape a precise whole out of what were once flawed pieces. A good carpenter will construct a home that can withstand not just everyday wear and tear, but will also stand up to an earthquake and severe storms. A good carpenter builds a home that is structurally sound.

Jesus Christ was a carpenter. Joseph, His father here on earth, was a carpenter, and from a young age Jesus would have learned to recognize the properties of different materials, how to use their strengths and adapt their weaknesses to form perfect creations. We believe that under Heavenly Father’s direction Jesus Christ is also the carpenter of our souls. They know us each individually. They understand our strengths and weaknesses. They know where we came from and what we are capable of becoming, and though we are imperfect, They can help shape us into happy people worthy of the blessings of heaven.

Jesus Christ, Son Of God

arrow
arrow

Jesus was born 2,000 years ago to a virgin mother named Mary in the city of Bethlehem.

• Jesus Christ - 1
  • Jesus Christ - 2
  • Jesus Christ - 3
  • Jesus Christ - 4
  • Jesus Christ - 5
  • Jesus Christ - 6
  • Jesus Christ - 7
  • Jesus Christ - 8
  • Jesus Christ - 9
  • Arrow
Jesus Christ - Son of God

What Jesus Christ Means to Us

When we accept Jesus Christ’s help we can feel peace in this life and return to Heaven after we die.

God is our Heavenly Father, and like any parent He wants His children to be happy. In the scriptures, He says “my work and my glory [is] to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man” (Moses 1:39). Eternal life means to live in heaven, in His presence, with our families, forever. More than anything else, God wants us to make the decisions that will allow us to return to live with Him after this life. But the scriptures also say “no unclean thing can dwell with God” (1 Ne 10:21). As hard as we try to live good lives, we all make mistakes, so how can we live in God’s perfect kingdom if we are imperfect?

God sent Jesus Christ to earth to give us a way to overcome our imperfections.

“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved” (John 3:16-17).

Jason answered …

We need a Savior because we are not able to perfectly keep the commandments our Heavenly Father has … Show more

Chadd answered …

Because we are imperfect beings in an imperfect world. We need his sacrifice to become perfect and … Show more

View all Answers

Jesus Christ Suffered for Us

When God created the world, He created a plan that allows us to learn and grow during this life. Jesus Christ was always a part of this plan. His role is not only to teach us about God and about how we should treat each other, but also to make a way for us to be forgiven after we make mistakes. Before He was crucified, Jesus prayed to God in the Garden of Gethsemane on our behalf, where He commenced to take upon Himself our sins and pain. He suffered for us so that we can be made clean. Christ’s suffering in Gethsemane and on the cross is called the Atonement. We can change our lives for the better when we accept Jesus Christ and His atonement. The Gospel of Jesus Christ is the set of instructions we can follow to become clean, find lasting happiness in this life and eventually return to live with God.

Faith in Jesus Christ

A firm belief that Jesus Christ is our Savior inspires us to follow His teachings.

We often hear the phrase, “Seeing is believing.” If we take this idiom literally and only believe what we see, what would happen if we went blind? Wouldn’t we be able to believe anything, or know for sure that anything exists? We would be able to know the existence of things, but we’d have to rely on other senses. We can know that Jesus Christ is our Savior, too, though we can’t see Him, by exercising our faith. Faith is a spiritual sense that tells us when something is true even if we can’t see it, hear it, touch it, smell it,

Faith in Jesus Christ

or taste it. Faith in Jesus Christ is a firm conviction that He is who He says He is and that He will help us when we need Him.

He is the Son of God, “The way, the truth and the life,“ and our Savior. Think of your closest friends. Do you trust them? Do you believe they will do what they promise? Why? Just like faith in our friends or family, faith in Jesus Christ comes from experience.

If we try to do something He teaches and it makes us happy, our faith in Him will get stronger. As we continue to live according to His words, we will feel our confidence growing until it becomes an active force in our lives, helping us make good decisions and deal with our challenges (John 7:17). Faith in Jesus Christ isn’t a simple declaration—it is a source of power we must renew every day by studying His words, praying, and by trying harder to follow His example as we interact with the people around us.

What do Mormons believe about Jesus Christ? Do Mormons believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God?

Britty answered …

We believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. That he sacrificed his life … Show more

Spencer Javier answered …

Jesus Christ is the literal Son of our Heavenly Father in the flesh. He is … Show more

Laurel answered …

Jesus Christ is the son of God. He lives today. Through His atonement, we … Show more

View all Answers

Watch “Finding Faith in Christ”

A powerful biblical depiction of the life and ministry of the Savior, Jesus Christ (29:10).

Repentance

Making bad decisions causes us to feel sorrow, but Jesus Christ made a way for us to be forgiven.

Having faith in Jesus Christ makes us want to live good lives. When we make mistakes, our faith can motivate us to do better. God understood when He created the earth that we wouldn’t be perfect, so He provided a way for us to make right the things we do wrong.

Repentance is His way for us to overcome our mistakes. To repent we need to recognize and feel sorry for what we’ve done wrong, do whatever is possible to repair the damage it may have caused and to leave our bad behavior behind and follow the example of Jesus Christ. This process can be difficult and requires a lot of honesty, but the joy and freedom we feel when we turn away from our sins are well worth the effort. Because Christ took upon Himself our sins, we can be forgiven when we repent. That’s why the Atonement is so important to all of us. We believe that Christ’s atonement gives us the ability to repent and become clean from sin. To say we have to repent for our sins may sound like a punishment, but the real punishment is the disappointment we feel when we make a mistake. Repentance is the opposite of punishment, then, because it allows us to correct our mistakes and remove the bad feelings that follow our bad decisions.

Baptism

"Be baptized unto repentance, that ye may be washed from your sins." - Alma 7:14
Being Baptised
Dana!’s Baptism

I was dressed in a white dress. I entered the water and I … Show more

View all Answers

We join Jesus Christ’s church and wash away our sins by being baptized.

Baptism is a commitment we make to follow Jesus Christ throughout our lives. When we develop faith in Him and repent of our sins, a person who has authority to baptize immerses us in water and raises us back up. This ordinance, or ceremony, suggests burial and rebirth, symbolizing the end of our old life and the beginning of a new life as a disciple of Christ.

When we are baptized we take Jesus’ name upon us, which means we have become Christians in the full sense of the word and do our best to always live accordingly. Jesus was also baptized when He was on earth. He promised that if we follow His example and keep the promises we make when we’re baptized, we will have His Spirit to guide us through this life and we’ll have a place in heaven after it. Because Heavenly Father is a fair and loving God, we believe that everyone will have the opportunity to accept Jesus Christ through baptism, if not in this life then in the next.

After Jesus was baptized, a voice from heaven said, “Thou art my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased” (Mark 1:11). We believe that God is also well pleased when each of us chooses to follow His Son and be baptized. He sees everything we do, knows us by name, and wants us to become clean so we can return to His presence.

The Gift of the Holy Ghost

God comforts, guides and strengthens us through the Holy Ghost.

When Jesus was on the earth, He told a man named Nicodemus, “Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God” (John 3:5). After we are “born of water,” or baptized, we can be “born […] of the Spirit” by receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost. A person with authority to do so puts his hands on our heads and gives us the right to this gift from God. The Holy Ghost is a Spirit that can dwell in our hearts. He is the third member of the Godhead, along with Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. When we receive the gift of the Holy Ghost and live worthy of His company, He can always be with us. We call it a gift because the Holy Ghost is given to us from God to guide us as we face difficult decisions, comfort us when we are sad, influence our minds and feelings, and help us recognize when something is true. That we can receive this kind of divine help reminds us that God is personally invested in each one of us and that He wants to help us through the difficulties of our lives.

How has the Holy Ghost helped you?

DarLee answered …

The Holy Ghost has warned me of danger and kept me out of bad situations. I … Show more

Stephen answered …

The Holy Ghost has helped me in many ways. The main way He has helped me is … Show more

Rina answered …

In the Mormon church, you start learning at the age of 3 about the Holy … Show more

Marcia answered …

The Holy Ghost helped me through the death of my son in 1990, he was 9 … Show more

Spencer answered …

The Holy Ghost has helped me in many ways throughout my life, but mainly it … Show more

View all Answers

Continuous Christianity

“Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest”

Matthew 11:28
Service to Others

Faith in Jesus Christ means following Him throughout our lives.

Think of a close friend you’ve lost touch with over the years. How did it happen? Or think of a friend you only speak with once a year. What are your conversations like? Do you build new bonds with the person or are you always trying to catch up to where you used to be?

A relationship with Jesus Christ is like any other—it can start to fade if we fall out of touch. It takes a lot of work to develop enough faith to repent, be baptized and receive the gift of the Holy Ghost, but we have to continue to live righteously to receive all the blessings God wants to give us. The key is to think of the gospel of Jesus Christ as a process rather than a checklist. We can continue to develop our faith in Him every day by reading His words in the scriptures and praying to our Heavenly Father. We’ll keep making mistakes throughout our lives, but we can repent every time we do so as long as we are striving to improve, because Jesus Christ’s atonement is never-ending. We can remember the promises and blessings of baptism by taking the sacrament at church every Sunday. We can continue to rely on the comfort and guidance of the Holy Ghost who will help us return to live with God.

Which of the Savior’s teachings have influenced you in your life?

Richard’s story …

The Savior's invitation in the New Testament to take upon us His yoke and that by doing so our … Show more

Bob’s story …

I have always been so impressed with the Savior's ultimate mandate: "Thou shalt love the Lord thy … Show more

Nancy Jane’s story …

The compassion and love that the Savior exhibited throughout his earthly mission has been impactful … Show more

Todd Hanson’s story …

I love when the Savior taught about being true to your own self. The example he gave of people being … Show more

View all Answers

Sometimes, even when we are doing our best to follow Christ’s example, we will run into obstacles to our happiness. Many of the things that weigh us down are not the result of sin. Death or illness of loved ones, stress at work or the difficulty of raising a family can sometimes overwhelm us. Jesus Christ said, “Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest” (Matthew 11:28). As soon as we are willing to turn to Him, we will feel His love. This is another benefit of continuous Christianity—the closer we come to Jesus Christ, the more we will realize that God is aware of us in our joy and in our sadness. We can take comfort in the fact that God has a plan for us and with Christ’s help we can happily fulfill that plan and return to live in Heaven. This gives us a broader perspective and makes life’s smaller troubles more manageable.

Chat with Us
Do you have questions about what you've read or seen here, or about the Mormon Church in general? Chat with us online now, we'd love to (help you find answers/answer your questions).
Meet with Missionaries
Missionaries' purpose is to meet with people who are interested in the Mormon Church. If you have questions you would like to discuss with them face-to-face, enter your contact information here. Missionaries in your area would love to share more about the Church and discuss any questions you may have.
Worship with Us
Find a chapel near you. We welcome all to visit and worship with us in our Sunday services.
+0
Helio Ramos

24 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
10/20/2010 4:02:24 AM

OK EVERYBODY....BIBLE IS JUST A BOOK...

Could you tell me something about, Canone Muratori, Constantine the great and the niceia counsil...

Appreciate

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!