Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Donggeun Yoo

2984 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
The Fourfold Grace
9/15/2010 11:55:09 PM

The Fourfold Grace

Section One : The Grace of Heaven and Earth

A. The Principle of Indebtedness to Heaven and Earth
If we wish most easily to understand the grace we have received from heaven and earth, we first must consider whether we could sustain our existence and live without heaven and earth. Then, even the most stupid or ignorant among us would acknowledge that we could not live without heaven and earth. If there is a relationship wherein we cannot live without the other, then where would there be a grace greater than that?
As a rule, heaven and earth have the Way and its power. The spontaneous motion of the great mechanism of the universe is the Way of heaven and earth. The results that are made manifest according to the motions of that Way are the power of heaven and earth. The Way of heaven and earth is exceedingly radiant, exceedingly meticulous and steadfast, and exceedingly just; it is proper and natural, vast and immeasurable, eternal and imperishable; it is without either good or ill fortune; and it is free of thoughts in its applications. Within the manifestation of the great power that flows from this great Way, the myriad things sustain their lives and preserve their forms.

B. The Gist of Indebtedness to Heaven and Earth
1. Due to the air in the sky, we are able to live by inhaling and exhaling.
2. Due to the support of the ground, we are able to live by having our bodies depend on it.
3. Due to the radiance of the sun and moon, we come to distinguish and know the myriad phenomena in the universe.
4. Due to the beneficence of wind, clouds, rain, and dew, we come to live off the products created by their nurturing of the myriad things.
5. As heaven and earth neither arise nor cease, the myriad things come to attain endless life in accordance with that Way.

C. The Principle of Gratitude to Heaven and Earth
If people wish to show gratitude to heaven and earth, they first must practice by modeling themselves wholeheartedly on that Way.

D. An Agenda for Gratitude to Heaven and Earth
1. Modeling ourselves wholeheartedly on the exceedingly radiant Way of heaven and earth, we should inquire into the myriad human affairs and universal principles and know them thoroughly.
2. Modeling ourselves wholeheartedly on the exceedingly meticulous and steadfast Way of heaven and earth, in all our action we should apply ourselves consistently from beginning to end and achieve our goal.
3. Modeling ourselves wholeheartedly on the exceedingly just Way of heaven and earth, in all our action we should avoid becoming enticed by remoteness or closeness, intimacy or distance, joy or anger, sorrow or happiness, and ever keep to the Middle Way.
4. Modeling ourselves wholeheartedly on the proper and natural Way of heaven and earth, in all our action we should scrutinize the reasonable and the unreasonable, and choose the reasonable and abandon the unreasonable.
5. Modeling ourselves wholeheartedly on the vast and immeasurable Way of heaven and earth, we should be free from any penchant toward partiality.
6. Modeling ourselves wholeheartedly on the eternal and imperishable Way of heaven and earth, we should gain liberation from the changes occurring in all things and from the birth, old age, sickness, and death of human life.
7. Modeling ourselves wholeheartedly on the Way of heaven and earth that is free from good or ill fortune, we should find the future ill in fortunate events and the future good in unfortunate events, and avoid becoming enticed by good or ill fortune.
8. Modeling ourselves wholeheartedly on the Way of heaven and earth that is free of thought in its applications, we should nurture the Way that is free of thought in action or rest and harbor no concept or sign after rendering spiritual, physical, or material beneficence. And even if the recipient turns ungrateful, the previous act of beneficence should not make us hate or make an enemy of that person all the more.

E. Ingratitude to Heaven and Earth
Ingratitude to heaven and earth means either not knowing the meaning of indebtedness, gratitude, or ingratitude, or, even while knowing it, not practicing gratitude.

F. The Consequences of Gratitude to Heaven and Earth
If we practice each and every one of the articles in the agenda for showing gratitude to heaven and earth, then heaven and earth and oneself will not be different things, so that one is exactly the same as heaven and earth and heaven and earth are exactly the same as oneself. Even though heaven is void and earth is still, and they do not directly bestow any blessings or happiness, we gain spontaneously an awesome power like that of heaven and earth, long life like that of heaven and earth, and radiance like that of the sun and moon; and all the hosts of humans and heavenly beings and all the world will honor us like heaven and earth.

G. The Consequences of Ingratitude to Heaven and Earth
If we are ungrateful to heaven and earth, we inevitably will incur the punishment of heaven. If we explain the particulars so that they are easily understood, then, to the extent that we do not model ourselves on the Way of heaven, we will certainly be ignorant of human affairs or universal principles and will have little meticulousness and steadfastness in everything we do; we will have many occasions when we are either excessive or deficient in everything we do; many occasions when we are irrational in everything we do; and many occasions when we have a penchant toward partiality in everything we do; we will be ignorant of the changes occurring in all things and of the birth, old age, sickness, and death, and good and ill fortune of human life; and even if we exercise virtue, we will be attached to signs so that internally we are conceited and externally we are boastful. How would such people not incur transgression and harm? Even though heaven and earth may be void and calm, any suffering that might inadvertently occur or that we have created for ourselves is exactly the punishment incurred by our ingratitude to heaven and earth.

Section Two : The Grace of Parents

A. The Principle of Indebtedness to Parents
If we wish most easily to understand the grace we have received from our parents, we first must consider whether our bodies would have appeared in this world without our parents, or even if we had, whether, lacking self-power, we could have matured by ourselves. Then, anyone would acknowledge that neither would have been possible. If, without parents, our bodies could not have appeared or matured, then where would there be a grace greater than that?
As a rule, although the birth and death of humans may be deemed a natural law and a creative transformation of heaven and earth, the great grace of giving us birth and raising us when we are lacking self-power, and of teaching us the great principle of the human Way, is precisely our indebtedness to parents.

B. The Gist of Indebtedness to Parents
1. Thanks to our parents, we receive this body, which is the foundation of all human affairs and universal principles.
2. With all-embracing love and ignoring all kinds of trouble, they raise and protect us, until we gain self-power.
3. They teach us human duties and responsibilities and guide us into human society.

C. The Principle of Gratitude to Parents
Recognizing this Way of our indebtedness when we were lacking self-power, we should offer protection as best we can to those who are lacking self-power.

D. An Agenda for Gratitude to Parents
1. We should follow without exception the essential Way of practice-the Threefold Study and the Eight Articles-and the essential Way of human life-the Fourfold Grace and the Four Essentials.
2. In the event that our parents become helpless, as best we can, we should offer them mental comfort and physical sustenance.
3. While our parents are living, or after they have passed away, we ought to protect to the best of our abilities the helpless parents of others, as if they were our own.
4. After our parents have passed away, we ought to enshrine their life histories and their portraits to commemorate them for a long time.

E. Ingratitude to Parents
Ingratitude to parents means either not knowing the meaning of indebtedness, gratitude, or ingratitude, or, even while knowing it, not practicing gratitude.

F. The Consequences of Gratitude to Parents
If we show gratitude to parents, then, even though I have only shown gratitude to my own parents, the world will naturally regard me respectfully. Since it is an unavoidable principle that children will act by modeling themselves after the good or bad conduct of their parents, my children’s filial piety toward me will duly reflect my own Way of showing gratitude to my parents. Also, as a consequence of protecting people who are lacking self-power, I will constantly receive the help of others even when I happen to lack self-power while coming and going through numerous lifetimes.

G. The Consequences of Ingratitude to Parents
If we are ungrateful to our parents, then, even though I have been ungrateful only to my own parents, the world inevitably will hate and ostracize me; and inevitably my very own offspring, too, by imitating my ingratitude, will directly bring woe to myself. Also, I will constantly be abandoned by others even when I happen to lack self-power while coming and going through numerous lifetimes.

Section Three : The Grace of Fellow Beings

A. The Principle of Indebtedness to Fellow Beings
If we wish most easily to understand the grace we have received from fellow beings, we first must consider whether I could live alone in a place that has no people, no animals, and no plants. Then, anyone would acknowledge that it is not possible. If we cannot live without the help of fellow beings, the support of fellow beings, and the provisions supplied by fellow beings, then where would there be a grace greater than that?
As a rule, the world has four categories of occupations: scholars, farmers, artisans, and merchants. People engage in work appropriate to these categories, and, by exchanging all kinds of material goods for their various products, they have helped and become indebted to each other solely by benefiting themselves and benefiting others.

B. The Gist of Indebtedness to Fellow Beings
1. Scholars study and research to edify and educate us in all types of learning and governance.
2. Farmers plant and raise crops to provide materials for our clothing and food.
3. Artisans manufacture all types of goods to provide us with shelter and necessities.
4. Merchants trade all kinds of material goods to help make our lives convenient.
5. Even animals and plants are of help to us.

C. The Principle of Gratitude to Fellow Beings
Since we are indebted to fellow beings by benefiting ourselves and benefiting others, if we wish to show gratitude to that grace, we should wholeheartedly model ourselves on that Way and constantly act by benefiting ourselves and benefiting others when scholars, farmers, artisans, and merchants exchange with one another all types of learning and material goods.

D. An Agenda for Gratitude to Fellow Beings
1. Scholars, when edifying through all types of learning or governance, should constantly act in fairness by benefiting themselves and benefiting others.
2. Farmers, when providing the materials for clothing and food, should constantly act in fairness by benefiting themselves and benefiting others.
3. Artisans, when providing shelter and necessities, should constantly act in fairness by benefiting themselves and benefiting others.
4. Merchants, when trading in all types of material goods, should constantly act in fairness by benefiting themselves and benefiting others.
5. Even plants and animals should not be destroyed or killed without due cause.

E. Ingratitude to Fellow Beings
Ingratitude to fellow beings means either not knowing the meaning of indebtedness, gratitude, or ingratitude, or, even while knowing it, not practicing gratitude.

F. The Consequences of Gratitude to Fellow Beings
If we show gratitude to fellow beings, then fellow beings, moved by acts of mutual benefit, will all love and rejoice in one another, so that I personally will also be safeguarded and honored; and there will be love between individuals, friendship between families, understanding between societies, and peace between nations, so that ultimately we shall have an unimaginably ideal world.
However, if no human beings anywhere in the world show gratitude, or if all fellow beings are lost in the sea of suffering because of the mischief of those who are ungrateful, then those sages who are saviors of this world, by bestowing on us their compassionate expedients, will rescue those sentient beings who are ungrateful, through either their moral force, political power, or military might.

G. The Consequences of Ingratitude to Fellow Beings
If we are ungrateful to fellow beings, then they will all hate and dislike one another and become mutual enemies. There will be quarrels between individuals, ill will between families, hostility between societies, and no peace between nations, and this will become a world at war.

Section Four : The Grace of Laws
A. The Principle of Indebtedness to Laws
If we wish most easily to understand the grace we have received from laws, we must consider whether we could live in tranquility and order without laws that regulate self cultivation for individuals, domestic affairs for families, social order for societies, national order for nations, and global order for the world. Then, anyone would acknowledge that it is not possible. And if we cannot live without laws, then where would there be a grace greater than that?
As a rule, what we call laws are equitable rules of the human Way and of justice. If these rules shine on individuals, individuals will be helped; if they shine on families, families will be helped; if they shine on societies, societies will be helped; if they shine on nations, nations will be helped; and if they shine on the world, the world will be helped.

B. The Gist of Indebtedness to Laws
1. Sages appear in response to the times, enabling us, through religion and morality, to follow the right road.
2. Laws enable us to protect our lives and to foster knowledge by allowing us both to establish institutions for scholars, farmers, artisans, and merchants, as well as to exert ourselves in edification and admonition.
3. Laws enable us to live peacefully by reproving injustice and promoting justice through distinguishing right and wrong, benefit and harm, and by thus maintaining tranquility and order.

C. The Principle of Gratitude to Laws
If we are indebted to a statute of prohibition in a law, then we should comply with that Way and if we are indebted to a statute of exhortation, then we should comply with that Way.

D. An Agenda for Gratitude to Laws
1. As an individual, study and practice laws that regulate self-cultivation.
2. As a family, study and practice laws that regulate the family.
3. As a society, study and practice laws that regulate the society.
4. As a nation, study and practice laws that govern the nation.
5. As a world, study and practice laws that govern the world.

E. Ingratitude to Laws
Ingratitude to laws means either not knowing the meaning of indebtedness, gratitude, or ingratitude or, even while knowing it, not practicing gratitude.

F. The Consequences of Gratitude to Laws
If we show gratitude to laws, then we will receive the protection of laws, so that gradually restrictions will vanish and freedom will be gained; our own personal character will improve; the world too will be in good order; and scholars, farmers, artisans, and merchants will advance, so that a world of matchless comfort will be created and, furthermore, we shall have requited as well the grace of legislation and administration.

G. The Consequences of Ingratitude to Laws
If we are ungrateful to laws, laws will not pardon us either and we will suffer confinement and constraints; our own personal character will degenerate; and the world too will become disordered until it becomes a chaotic battleground.

http://www.wonbuddhism.org/

WARNING: A new immensely powerful viral marketing system has been released, which allows marketers to broadcast messages directly to people's desktops. Learn more about it here: http://www.DesktopLightning.com/ohmmani
+0
RE: The Fourfold Grace
9/16/2010 11:04:12 PM
I think I can agree to most of what is written there. The only problem I have is the meaning of heaven and earth to you might not mean the same thing to others. So if you start off with the wrong meaning of what heaven and earth are then you have areas that might be distorted of other areas just because you started off with the wrong concepts.
Manuel Washington Veretekk Consultant http://physical.veretekk.com 4796195964 My Power Mall: http://mypowermall.com/biz/home/3548
+0
Donggeun Yoo

2984 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/4/2011 11:23:25 PM

JOIN, FREE Affiliates Program !!!

Greenwin Affiliates Program...

1.Join as a free member.
2.Use your referral link to invite new members.
3.You will earn instant cash commission when anyone in your referral network purchases a service or product.

Join for FREE
No obligations to purchase before you earn commission
No selling required
Massive market; over 4 billion potential users
Referrals tracked 10 levels deep; unlimited width
Commission credited in real time
Payouts made every day
Best in its’ class technology
Patent pending systems
Multiple commission generating income streams
Fantastic support

MobiPortal (Add on services for the MobiPortal ) :5% per purchase
G-Phone (The GWN Smart Phone) : 5% per purchase
G-Meeting (Unlimited Webinar/ Online meetings with monthly subscriptions.) : 5% per subscription
Ad-Server (A selection of PPC and PPV Ad packages for the GWN portal) : 5% per purchase
MobiSight ( Information, Multi-Media & Ads delivered to mobile phones.) : 5% per purchase
Super Mall (The GWN Shopping Mall ) :Varied
Top Up (Top up credits to make GreenCalls ) :1.5% per purchase

http://affiliates.greenwinnetwork.com/users/ref/ohmmani

WARNING: A new immensely powerful viral marketing system has been released, which allows marketers to broadcast messages directly to people's desktops. Learn more about it here: http://www.DesktopLightning.com/ohmmani
+0
3/20/2011 12:40:22 AM
it is no secret that compassion is superceded by money interests.There are 2 tiers for healthcare in our system, one for the rich and one for the poor.Not even passion exist either, for in order for that to occur there would need to be a prerequisite purposeful thought. One could sincerely say the system of man is devoid of spirit.Suffering of humanity will not be liberated by chemical pushers,eg: doctors, a false belief that they are in partnership for your health.
I know this from experiencing an injury that requires surgery and since I cannot afford the high cost of a surgeon I am relegated to a back list for almost a year. That means I have almost exhausted my welfare disability and after that I will lose my shelter and have no money to eat.Plus the time has complicated the injury by trying to heal incorrectly without surgery during my wait.I would have great gratitude if a surgeon would call me up for a consultation to get the ball rolling.But money talks and gratitude walks in this system and if you dont have money you will suffer,I guarentee my friend.I have undergone great suffering and loss while my fellow man does nothing to relieve it because I have no money to pay for an operation.If you are rich and can pay you can have help from a surgeon right away.I have broken no laws so I dont know what your talking about.Before my accident and injury I helped feed thousands of people and worked hard, so I guess I am not important in this sick society enough to receive help now that I need it.
Gregg Andely
+0
3/29/2011 8:02:46 PM
D. An Agenda for Gratitude to Laws
1. As an individual, study and practice laws that regulate self-cultivation.
2. As a family, study and practice laws that regulate the family.
3. As a society, study and practice laws that regulate the society.
4. As a nation, study and practice laws that govern the nation.
5. As a world, study and practice laws that govern the world.

where do I find these laws that regulate self-cultivation?
I want harmony in family and all the world and try to act accordingly, so what laws do you mean?
Is not obeying the laws dangerous in these times of confusion when those entrusted have already broken them by murdering their countries people? To uphold the laws is to break mans laws that were created by governing bodies,secret societies and just bad leaders or tyrants????
Gregg Andely
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!