Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: ARE WE NOW IN THE END TIMES?
9/22/2018 10:55:01 AM

Scientists discover how to 'upload knowledge to your brain'

Feeding knowledge directly into your brain, just like in sci-fi classic The Matrix, could soon take as much effort as falling asleep, scientists believe.

Researchers claim to have developed a simulator which can feed information directly into a person’s brain and teach them new skills in a shorter amount of time, comparing it to “life imitating art”.

They believe it could be the first steps in developing advanced software that will make Matrix-style instant learning a reality.

In the neo-noir sci-fi classic, protagonist Neo is able to learn kung fu in seconds after the martial art is ‘uploaded’ straight to his brain.

Researchers from HRL Laboratories, based in California, say they have found a way to amplify learning, only on a much smaller scale than seen in the Hollywood film.

They studied the electric signals in the brain of a trained pilot and then fed the data into novice subjects as they learned to pilot an aeroplane in a realistic flight simulator.

The study, published in the journal Frontiers in Human Neuroscience, found that subjects who received brain stimulation via electrode-embedded head caps improved their piloting abilities and learnt the task 33 per cent better than a placebo group.

“Our system is one of the first of its kind. It's a brain stimulation system,” explained Dr Matthew Phillips.

"It sounds kind of sci-fi, but there's large scientific basis for the development of our system.

"The specific task we were looking at was piloting an aircraft, which requires a synergy of both cognitive and motor performance.

"When you learn something, your brain physically changes. Connections are made and strengthened in a process called neuro-plasticity.

“It turns out that certain functions of the brain, like speech and memory, are located in very specific regions of the brain, about the size of your pinky.”

Dr Matthews believes that brain stimulation could eventually be implemented for tasks like learning to drive, exam preparation and language learning

“What our system does is it actually targets those changes to specific regions of the brain as you learn,” he added.

“The method itself is actually quite old. In fact, the ancient Egyptians 4000 years ago used electric fish to stimulate and reduce pain.

The Matrix-style learning could become a reality

“Even Ben Franklin applied currents to his head, but the rigorous, scientific investigation of these methods started in the early 2000s and we're building on that research to target and personalise a stimulation in the most effective way possible.

“Your brain is going to be very different to my brain when we perform a task. What we found is … brain stimulation seems to be particularly effective at actually improving learning.”

Meanwhile, a recent study found that intelligent people are more easily distracted at work.

What kind of narcissist are you?

(telegraph.co.uk)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/22/2018 4:41:39 PM

Chip Somodevilla / Getty Images
APOCALYPSE IN PROGRESS

Florence is the worst flood in East Coast history. Here’s how locals describe it.

Many of the dire predictions came true. In the past few days, Hurricane Florence has become the worst rainstorm in history for North Carolina, as well as the entire East Coast.

The images streaming in from the thousands of square miles of flooded cities and farmlands across the Carolinas are heartbreaking. From the washed-out beach homes of the Outer Banks to the raging mountain streams in the foothills of the Appalachians, nearly the entire region is underwater. All that rain means dozens of lives have been lost, and hundreds of thousands have been displaced.

Florence’s rainfall data is astonishing. The four-day accumulation of nearly 36 inches, which was measured in Elizabethtown, North Carolina, is far, far above the previous rain record for a hurricane anywhere on the East Coast. It broke the North Carolina record by nearly a foot. That much rain is more than what scientists estimate a 1,000-year level, 60-day rainstorm would drop in the region, given a stable climate: slightly more than 35 inches. Put another way, there’s a 0.1 percent chance every year that in a 60-day period the rainfall in Elizabethtown would be at least 35 inches. North Carolina took on all of that water in just four days.

And as ocean waters warm and the atmosphere changes, it’s becoming increasingly clear that this storm is not just a fluke; there are more Florences in our future.

The region the storm hit hardest is one of the poorest parts of the state, wherevirtually no one has flood insurance. As bad as it is, the waters in rivers and streams statewide are still rising.

Grist corresponded with 10 Carolinians who grappled with Florence. Here are their stories, edited and condensed for clarity:

Erica Sharpe, Davidson County, North CarolinaErica Sharpe, Davidson County, North Carolina

There are two types of people here: The ones who panic and empty the grocery shelves, and the ones who don’t trust “the news”, and don’t prepare at all. It could have been a lot worse here, but that kind of split between people has been interesting to watch. Even the weather is dividing people now.

Daniel Hallock,
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina (evacuated to Georgia)

There were people who would not take the warnings seriously enough. Knowing you gotta leave people behind is an odd feeling.

“Frankie,”
Greenville, North Carolina

We’re not allowed to talk to media. It’s against company policy. Many wanted to evacuate, but we deliver fuel. Management pushes gasoline drivers to fill gas stations. Roads are being washed over, sink holes created, towns flooded, but corporate wants the stations pumping.

Ralph Smith,
Holly Ridge, North Carolina

I stayed. Where I was, near the landfall, was heavy rain and flooding. The highways were loaded with people trying to evacuate. Plus the gas stations were all full; the one in front of my house closed down early. The day before the storm, there was so much, I thought, “I might as well stay.” So, you just stay and hope for best. The flooding didn’t make it to my house directly, but the streets were extremely wet.

It’s still raining so I’m conflicted on when I’ll be able to drive again. Power has been out for about two or three days. A lot of people around here are worried about their safety while trying to make it out to work in the days after the storm. I know some people that are hesitant about going back to work. I’m just hoping midway through the week it clears up. They aren’t firing anyone for not showing up this week, I know for sure.

Luke Adair,
Jacksonville, North Carolina

The thing that stands out the most to me is just how fast the water level in the river rose. We went to bed (around midnight) and there was hardly any water in the culvert [a water conduit under a road]. When we woke up the next morning, water was halfway up the foundation. Tons of homes in our neighborhood were flooded, and they flooded so quickly that the Coast Guard had to come in and rescue two families.

Evacuating was absolutely the right decision for my family. I wish more people would have evacuated as well. But I can tell you, I was glued to the TV and my phone for three days during Hurricane Florence. Not being able to check on your house is one thing, but not knowing [about] your loved ones that decided to stay was another thing.

It’s just so sad to see all of these people’s homes being damaged, people losing their lives, but the support that all of eastern North Carolina has shown has been amazing. People that I don’t know have offered help and even offered up their home for us to stay.

Cameron-Scott Smith,
Wilmington, North Carolina

I never envisioned that a storm could hit Wilmington this hard. You see it on TV, but you don’t really expect it to happen to you.

The night the storm came, out power went out at around 1, while I was watching TV, and I decided to go to bed. I slept very well (which I usually don’t).

In the morning I looked out the window, but it was all fogged up. I go downstairs and hear the dog whining, so I got her leash and start walking to the door that leads to garage. I pressed the button to open the garage but I forgot the power was out so I exited through the door that leads into the garage.

The first thing I saw were three large fir trees toppled on each other like fallen dominos. Then I walked to the front yard and saw four trees that sat snapped in half. I looked out in the cul-de-sac which was blocked off by fallen trees. Everything was closed off by fallen trees.

We haven’t had power for three days, and my mom was called into work today. She has to stay there overnight for a week

Our house is so hot. My grandmother came to stay with us because her running water went out. Today we had a crew of guys who came to cut down the fallen trees. Their bulldozer ended up damaging our water line, so our water went out. So we’re left with no water or power.

Johnny Wilson,
Chester, South Carolina

One small leak in my roof managed to drip four five-gallon buckets worth of water since yesterday evening. It was an absurd amount of rain.

The mood around town has seemed pretty relieved. Everyone was worried for another Hugo. But our town ended up actually sending supplies to a nearby town because we weren’t impacted nearly as bad as expected.

Alexander Zupancic,
Wilmington, North Carolina (evacuated to Charlotte.)

Not being able to communicate with my dad and brother scares the hell out of me. Seeing pictures of my home being torn apart by a storm breaks my heart. Nobody thinks this kind of thing happens to their home until it does. I go to UNC-Wilmington, we have no clue when we can go back or if they’ll suspend the semester.

It’s hard to keep in touch, just saying goodbye to my dad was pretty hard. I did everything I could to try and make him leave, he refused, that was very stressful for me, people don’t understand the real effect a hurricane has and how scary it actually is.

Jeramy “Bud” Martin,
Wilmington, North Carolina (evacuated to Arkansas)

I’m from Wilmington, work as an EMT, and can’t get back because of the flooding. My brothers and sisters are exhausted waiting for backup, and I’m in Arkansas with my wife’s family.

I’m trying my best to get back home. I have
multiple people looking for a route into town for me. There is an organization ([led by] a friend of an Army buddy) that has helped me, as well as another friend that is a pilot that has a ticket for me in Memphis going to Raleigh as soon as I can get there. When I know for a fact the roads are clear, I’m flying out and driving down to my city. My family are here and safe in Arkansas, and that’s my number one priority. So now it’s time to get back to my city and help in any way I can.

Terre Logsdon,
Rutherfordton, North Carolina

I arrived in Rutherfordton last week from Lakeport, California, after being evacuated from the Mendocino Complex [Fire] and watching my county burn. I served in the Emergency Operations Center for [this summer’s] Valley Fire, and I was done with fires.

My friends moved to North Carolina from Florida a few years earlier and [told] me to head East. After 10 days on the road, I arrived to hurricane prep. While Rutherfordton has so far only been minimally impacted, it does have me wondering if I made the right decision — or if there are any right decisions to make on where to live anymore.

(GRIST)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/22/2018 5:15:49 PM

Northern Ireland sets new all time record for strongest September wind gust

Posted by on

Ali is the first named storm of the 2018/19 season, closely followed by the second storm of the season, named Bronagh, on September 20 and 21. Forecast models suggest a third storm will form in the same region late Saturday into Sunday, September 22 into 23.

Ali has now pulled away from northern Scotland into the northern North Sea/Norwegian Sea and Bronagh is expected to develop across parts of Wales and South West England during this evening before spreading further eastwards across England.

Two Yellow Met Office Weather Warnings are in force, the first is for rain covering Wales and parts of North West England, then later in the day, a Yellow wind warning is also in place for much of England and parts of Wales.

There is the possibility of damage to buildings, such as tiles blown from roofs or through falling trees and branches, as well as a danger to life, it warned.

Featured image credit: NASA/NOAA Suomi NPP/VIIRS

(THE WATCHERS)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/22/2018 6:03:57 PM
RISK TO MANKIND

Next flu pandemic could be ‘DEADLIER than Spanish flu – wiping out 400 million across the globe’

Pandemic infection is considered one of the biggest threats to mankind by governments across the globe

A DEADLY flu pandemic like the Spanish flu could happen again, wiping out 400 million globally, leading flu experts have warned.

It's 100 years since the 1918 pandemic killed tens of millions of people - yet there's nothing stopping the flu virus becoming just as deadly again.

Spanish flu wiped out tens of millions of people across the globe when it hit in 1918
PD

Spanish flu wiped out tens of millions of people across the globe when it hit in 1918

The flu is an "unstable" virus, meaning it changes from year to year, and all it would take is a major mutation for the virus to devastate the globe.

Professor Robert Dingwall, a flu expert at Nottingham Trent University, said modern medicine would be powerless to protect us in the face of a new pandemic.

During the 1918 pandemic between 200,000 and 250,000 people died in the UK - around 60 to 100 million globally.

For every person in Britain that died another 10 fell ill, devastating the country and crippling the economy.

Susanna Reid wears a medical mask as sick Piers Morgan wheezes and sniffles beside her on Good Morning Britain

If a pandemic like the Spanish flu were to sweep the globe again it would be worse, killing more people
ALAMY

If a pandemic like the Spanish flu were to sweep the globe again it would be worse, killing more people
 For every one person who died another 10 fell ill during the 1918 pandemic, experts say
CREDIT: EVERETT COLLECTION INC / ALAMY STOCK PHOTO7
For every one person who died another 10 fell ill during the 1918 pandemic, experts say

"If that was repeated today we would be looking at somewhere between three quarters of a million to one million people [in the UK] - that's why people are worried about it," Prof Dingwall told The Sun Online.

"If you think of your 60 million people [currently in the UK] and you take 10 million [people who could get sick] out of that you can see how difficult it is to keep public services running and even keep things like the supermarkets stocked.

"Globally, in 1918, there's a reasonable consensus that up to 100 million people died.

"In order of magnitude, it would be around 400 million today.

For a pandemic to happen there needs to be a 'dramatic shift' in the flu virus - something we can expect to see roughly every 20 to 40 years
GETTY - CONTRIBUTOR

For a pandemic to happen there needs to be a 'dramatic shift' in the flu virus - something we can expect to see roughly every 20 to 40 years

"It's one of the biggest challenges facing a developed country - how would we keep going in a civil and orderly fashion?"

"Pandemic infection is really seen as number one risk by the Government, there's terrorism; storms; hurricanes; natural disasters; but the big concern is still 'what would happen if we had a new infectious disease hit the population'."

It may all seem a bit far fetched - like the scenes of a horror film - but even though the threat of another pandemic isn't imminent, it's not impossible.

"There might be some reason to think that the 1918 pandemic was the outer limit of what the flu can possibly achieve, but there is absolutely no guarantee that it couldn't be reproduced on that scale," Prof Dingwall said.

Of those who caught the flu during the 1918 pandemic, most died of secondary infections like bacterial pneumonia
HULTON ARCHIVE - GETTY7
Of those who caught the flu during the 1918 pandemic, most died of secondary infections like bacterial pneumonia
 Pandemic infection is considered one of the biggest threats to mankind by governments across the globe
GETTY - CONTRIBUTOR

"Modern medicine wouldn't have much of an impact on the death rate from something like the 1918 attack.

"Flu is a very unstable virus, so it changes a little bit from one year to the next which is why the vaccine has to be reformulated every year.

"But every once in a while there is a really big change, which is what happened in 1918, so there is no resistance in the population because nobody has ever seen anything like it before and that's the main reason why so many people died."

He explained for a pandemic to happen there needs to be a "dramatic shift" in the flu virus - something we can expect to see roughly every 20 to 40 years - or once in a generation.

It would take four to six months for modern day medicine to identify the virus and create a vaccine to protect against it - by then millions could have died
GETTY - CONTRIBUTOR

It would take four to six months for modern day medicine to identify the virus and create a vaccine to protect against it - by then millions could have died

Dr Jonathan Quick, chair of the Global Health Council, said the flu virus is "the most diabolical, hardest-to-control, and fastest-spreading potential viral killer known to humankind".

He warned in The Daily Mail of starvation, medicine supplies running low, energy systems crippling under the pressure and the collapse of the global economy if a flu pandemic was to hit again.

"The most likely culprit will be a new and unprecedentedly deadly mutation of the influenza virus. The conditions are right, it could happen tomorrow," he said.

While modern medicine may be powerless in the fight to protect the world from another flu pandemic, we have made enough advances to protect against secondary infections like pneumonia.

The very young, elderly and those with pre-existing medical conditions are the most vulnerable to developing secondary infections from the flu.

Most people who die after contracting the flu are killed by secondary infections rather than the flu virus itself.

"If we had something like that happen today the virus would still kill people in very large numbers, but what we would be able to control is the bacterial infections that piggyback on it," Prof Dingwall added.

"For example, quite a few of the deaths in 1918 were people who contracted the influenza and then developed bacterial pneumonia - but that could be treated with the antibiotics we have now.

"The primary cause of death from influenza couldn't be treated because the antivirals we have are of quite limited effectiveness and there is nothing in the pipeline to be able to change that.

"And we couldn't rely on vaccination because with present technology it would take about four to six months to identify the virus and create a vaccine that would have any real impact."

(thesun.co.uk)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/23/2018 9:58:23 AM

Carolyn Van Houten / The Washington Post via Getty Images
CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF REPLICATION

A groundbreaking Hurricane Florence study could change how we think about climate

As Hurricane Florence approached the Carolinas last week, up to 1 million residentsboarded up their windows, emptied grocery shelves and gas pumps, and evacuated with their families to escape the storm’s impending wrath. Simultaneously, scientists in other parts of the country were scrambling to produce a landmark study: one that would put numbers to just how much worse climate change had made this dangerous storm.

They found that the slow-moving hurricane would bring 50 percent more rain to the Carolinas due to climate change. The researchers from Stony Brook University in New York and Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory in California released their findings on Wednesday — two days before the storm even made landfall.

“We knew it was going to be an impactful storm,” Kevin Reed, lead author on the study, tells Grist. “We decided: This technology we’ve been using in previous storms — why not apply it in real time?”

The new study addresses a psychological barrier that has long plagued climate communication: Rather than presenting climate change as a past or future threat, it portrays it as a present danger.

“For a lot of people, climate change seems very distant,” says Susan Clayton, a psychology professor at the College of Wooster. “I think tying it to a current experience could have an effect.”

Quantifying climate change’s impact on individual weather events is tricky territory, but researchers are getting much better — and much faster — at it. Thefield of attribution science has advanced rapidly in recent years. The new study marks the first time researchers have presented the public with actual numbers before a disaster unfolds — something that was made possible by new technology and readily available models.

The Florence study compared two simulations of the storm — one based on forecast models, and the other representing a world without human-induced climate change. Since warmer waters strengthen tropical storms, and a warmer atmosphere holds more moisture, it makes sense that climate change dramatically increased Florence’s rainfall. The storm brought 36 inches of rain to parts of North Carolina, making it the worst rainstorm in East Coast history. It has flooded thousands of roads and led to dozens of deaths.

The study is controversial because the numbers are preliminary. “In order to be conclusive, we will need to see multiple studies using different methods and approaches,” climate scientist Katharine Hayhoe told Buzzfeed News, adding that the initial estimate was “very impressive.”

Previously, attribution studies like this would take months, if not years, to complete. The first study to quantify climate change’s effect on Hurricane Harvey came out three months after the storm made landfall.

That was all well and good, but it missed the window when the storm was in the news — and thus when people were paying attention to it, says Clayton, the psychology professor at Wooster.

With the groundbreaking Florence study, that changed. “Instead of using conditions that are 6 months old, we’re using [forecast] conditions that are 6 hours old,” Reed says.

So did the study have an impact? The research was covered in articles by the New York Times, National Geographic, Buzzfeed News, the Guardian, the Washington Post, and NPR, among others, and was mentioned on Al Jazeera’s Inside Storyprogram and CBS’ online streaming news service.

“I think that is a good validation that now is the time when people have the appetite and interest to talk about it,” says Hunter Cutting, director of strategic communications for Climate Nexus.

Even though the information was out there, the media did a shoddy job overall in connecting Florence to climate change. According to a new report from Public Citizen, only 7.5 percent of stories about Florence in the top 50 U.S. newspapers mentioned climate change in the week leading up to September 16. That’s actually a small bump: Less than 5 percent of these top newspapers mentioned climate change in articles about hurricanes Harvey, Irma, Maria, and Nate last year.

Despite that mainstream media’s general neglect of the link between storms and climate change, extreme weather has become the No. 1 symbol of climate change (no offense, polar bears). Over the last decade, the number of people who name extreme weather as a knee-jerk association with climate change has quadrupled, according to research from Yale University and the University of Westminster.

“People think of climate change as something that’s either going to happen far in the future or far away,” Cutting says. “This kind of work [the Florence study] highlights that it’s something that affects everybody, whether you’re talking about wildfires in the West or coastal flooding in the East.”

(GRIST)

+1

facebook
Like us on Facebook!