Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: ARE WE NOW IN THE END TIMES?
7/17/2018 4:25:47 PM

Immigrant kids held in shelters: ‘They told us to behave, or we’d be there forever’

When the 8-year-old stepped off a plane here earlier this month with freshly cut bangs and a shelter-issued sweatsuit, she was met by crowds and television cameras and finally, in a carpeted airport conference room, by the mother who had been taken from her two months earlier at the border.

But now, a day after that joyous reunion, the girl from Guatemala was shoving a toddler who had tried to give her a hug and a kiss at a welcoming party in the suburbs. Now she was screaming and crying and telling the boy to stay away.

This is what two months in a Texas shelter had taught Sandy Gonzalez.

“They always kept the boys and the girls separate,” the second-grader explained last week. “And they punished us if we went near each other.”

Under court order, federal officials have begun to return the more than 2,500 immigrant children taken from their parents under the Trump administration’s short-lived family separation policy. Across the country, mothers and fathers are slowly being reunited with the children they last saw being led away by Border Patrol agents weeks or months ago.

Experts warn that many of these children may be deeply traumatizedby their experiences. Their voices have seldom been heard during the frenzied debate over family separation.

“I felt like a prisoner,” said Diogo De Olivera Filho, a 9-year-old from Brazil who spent five weeks at a shelter in Chicago, including three weeks in isolation after getting chickenpox. When he got lonely and left his quarantined room to see other kids, he said the shelter put up a gate to keep him in. “I felt like a dog,” he said.

He and Sandy are among the six children recently released from the shelters who described to The Washington Post what their time separated from their parents was like.

One 11-year-old boy from Guatemala who spent six weeks in the same Chicago shelter as Diogo said he had to ask permission to hug his sister. Some of the children said they now suffer from nightmares. A few, including Sandy, have had difficulty trusting their parents again.

Most of the children were reluctant to talk about what they went through while they were detained.

“I don’t want to remember,” said one 10-year-old, who recounted watching an out-of-control kindergartner get injected with something after he misbehaved in class.

Parents sometimes learned the details of their kids’ time in custody by listening to them talk to The Post.

Sandy Gonzalez, 8, and her mother, Angelica Gonzalez-Garcia, at a home in suburban Boston where the two are now staying. Mother and daughter were reunited July 5 after being separated at the border and detained by ICE. (Josh Reynolds/for The Washington Post)

Sandy was reunited with her mother on July 5 after 55 days at Southwest Key Combes, a shelter in Harlingen, Tex., that was caring for about 60 kids. Some had been separated from their parents; some had crossed the border on their own.

For Sandy, it was a place of sorrow, fear and scoldings.

“They told us to behave,” she said, “or we’d be there forever.”

'I was so sad'

When Angelica Gonzalez-Garcia decided to flee her abusive husband in eastern Guatemala earlier this year, she left it to her daughter, then 7, to decide whether to stay behind with her grandparents.

“I want to go with you, mommy,” she said Sandy replied.

Gonzalez-Garcia said she didn’t know about President Trump’s new “zero tolerance” policy and the push to separate children from their parents to discourage families from coming to the United States.

On May 9, shortly after illegally crossing the border between Mexico and Arizona, Sandy and her mother suddenly found themselves surrounded by Border Patrol vehicles. Gonzalez-Garcia told them she was seeking asylum.

They were taken in the back of a pickup truck to a Border Patrol holding facility known as a hielera, or icebox, and put in a room with a few dozen other migrants and one toilet, surrounded by a low partition.

Sandy was too embarrassed to use the toilet. She and her mother slept on a plastic mat on the floor with two other people. They were given thin metallic mylar blankets for the cold.

“They didn’t give us anything [else] to cover us,” recalled the girl with almond-shaped eyes and gaps between her teeth, crossing her arms as if shivering at the thought. “They gave us soup, just soup, and some cookies and juice.”

After a day in the hielera, Gonzalez-Garcia said Border Patrol agents told her they were going to take her daughter away and deport Gonzalez-Garcia. As they asked her to sign documents authorizing the separation, one agent wished her a Happy Mother’s Day, which is celebrated in Guatemala on May 10.

That night, Gonzalez-Garcia tried to prepare Sandy for what was coming.

“I told her it was like a vacation, she’d be playing, there’d be dolls, and ballgames and pizza” — Sandy’s favorite food, recalled Gonzalez-Garcia. “I told her not to cry.”

Before dawn on May 11, Border Patrol agents took mother and daughter to a trailer with showers. Gonzalez tried not to get emotional as she bathed her girl for what she thought might be the last time, then dressed her in a baggy blue uniform.

“She brushed my hair, she gave me a kiss and she hugged me,” Sandy remembered.

When it came time to go, however, the girl tried to hide under the mylar blankets.

“Don’t tell them I’m under here,” Sandy said, according to her mother. “They can look for me but they won’t find me.”

But they did find her. And suddenly she was alone for the first time in her life.

“They put me in a car, then two airplanes, then another car, then another,” she said. She cried for much of it. “I was so sad,” Sandy said.

Southwest Key Combes in Harlingen, Tex., is a facility run by Southwest Key Programs that houses “tender age” immigrant children who were separated from their parents at the U.S.-Mexico border. (Jahi Chikwendiu/The Washington Post)

When Sandy arrived at the Southwest Key shelter, the first thing she remembers is being lined up with other new kids and being told the rules: No touching, no talking to boys, lights on at 6:30 a.m., lights out at 8 p.m.

For a girl who’d grown up running freely around her neighborhood in Guatemala, playing and asking tourists for candy, the restrictions were a shock.

She said some of the shelter employees were nice, but others shouted “cállense” or “be quiet” at her and the other kids. Sandy said she had trouble falling asleep and the food tasted “nasty.”

She spent part of each day in school, but was put in a class that was too advanced for her. “It was stuff for older kids,” she said.

Jeff Eller, a spokesman for Southwest Key, one of the country’s biggest shelter providers, said he couldn’t discuss Sandy’s account of her time in custody.

“We have appropriate touching policies in place, so we can keep all kids safe,” he said. “We have a 20-year history of providing compassionate child care and we’re proud of what we do.”

More than two weeks passed before Sandy’s mother was able to call her from an ICE detention center in Colorado.

“When she heard my voice she stayed quiet,” Gonzalez-Garcia recalled. “She didn’t say anything. I asked how she was, and all she said was ‘Fine.’ ”

When the girl did start talking, what she said startled her mother. Her birthday on May 19 had passed without anyone at the shelter noticing, she said. The staff shouted at the children, she told her mom, and a boy had kicked her in the face during recess.

Sandy kept asking her mother why she hadn’t come to get her, Gonzalez-Garcia recalled. The 31-year-old promised her daughter she’d come as soon as she could, and give her a birthday party with pizza and gifts.

Sandy also told her mom that she had gotten conjunctivitis and been put into a room by herself. (“When a child enters with or contracts a communicable disease,” Eller said, “we make sure to minimize their contact with other children with guidance from medical professionals.”)

Asked what she did all day alone in a room, Sandy said she played a memory game with cards. The only other game was checkers.

“And that was for two people,” she said, “so I couldn’t play.”

'I was very scared'

Like Sandy, all the children who spoke to The Washington Post struggled to cope with being ripped away from their parents and then placed in shelters filled with unfamiliar adults and unfamiliar rules.

“There were people there who only spoke English, and they always said to us, ‘No touch, No touch,’ ” recalled Leidy Veliz, a pencil-thin 9-year-old from Guatemala who was sent along with her brother to a Chicago shelter called Casa Guadalupe, run by a nonprofit called Heartland Alliance.

Her brother, Victor, 11, said he had to ask permission to hug Leidy at the shelter, a cluster of three houses in the suburbs that housed about 60 kids.

“You always had to be ‘an arm’s length’ from everyone,” Victor said as the siblings repeated in unison the phrase in Spanish: “Un brazo de distancia. Un brazo de distancia.”

Girls were kept in a separate house, so Victor only got to see his sister twice a day during recess.

Victor said the children were told there were “hidden cameras” everywhere except the bathrooms and bedrooms, so any misbehavior would be caught on video.

He and Leidy said they feared running afoul of the rules and being reported — a worry echoed by all the children The Post interviewed.

They also feared other punishment. Victor said he was once “dragged” inside by two adult male shelter employees after lingering on the soccer field — his most painful memory from the shelter.

Diogo De Olivera Filho plays with his mother Lidia Souza’s thumb at the Mayer Brown law firm during a news conference shortly after Diogo was reunited with his mother June 28. (Charles Rex Arbogast/AP)

Diogo De Olivera Filho, the 9-year-old from Brazil, said he was used to sleeping late but that habit quickly got him in trouble at Casa Guadalupe.

“They told me, ‘If you keep doing that, you’re going to have to stay here until you’re 18,’ ” he said.

Diogo and another Brazilian boy he befriend, Diego Magalhaes, 10, said they saw a troubled 5-year-old boy repeatedly injected with something that made him fall asleep at his desk. The boy’s father had been deported, Diego said, and he often melted down during the daily classes the immigrant children were given.

“I was very scared,” Diego said. “I thought they were going to inject me, too.”

Asked about the children’s accounts, Heartland Alliance said in a statement that it took concerns about its shelters “extremely seriously.”

“We stand alongside children and families seeking safety in the U.S. and we fervently believe that families belong together. We know that the children who have come to our shelters after being forcibly separated from their parents are scared and sad, and our trained childcare staff and social workers deeply empathize with their pain. We have extensive policies, procedures, and standards of care that guide our trauma-informed approach to ensure the safety and well-being of all children in our care,” the statement said. “While this does include daily routines and structure, age-appropriate chores, and practices to prevent the spread of communicable illnesses, we understand how these practices may be experienced by young children who are already suffering emotionally from being apart from those they love most.”

Mark Weber, a spokesman for the Department of Health and Human Services, which oversees the agency responsible for the shelters, said it couldn’t comment on specific children or cases, but that “our focus is always on the safety and best interest of each child.”

“These are vulnerable children in difficult circumstances, and HHS treats its responsibility for each child with the utmost care,” he said. “Any allegation of abuse is taken seriously” and, after being investigated by the department’s Office of Refugee Resettlement, “appropriate action is taken.”

One day, Diego said he was playing soccer on a concrete basketball court when he fell and felt his arm crunch. He said regular shelter employees — not doctors or nurses — examined him, told him his arm was fractured and then gave him a temporary cast that he wore for weeks.

“It still hurts,” Diego said, running his fingers over the injury.

After Diogo got chickenpox, he was moved from his room with three other boys to a playroom converted into a makeshift infirmary. There were toys and video games, he said, but the video games didn’t work.

“They were just for show,” he said. There were no other kids there and often no adults either, he said. When he got bored and left the room, he said employees scolded him and added the gate.

“They told me I couldn’t get out because I’d infect everybody,” added Diogo, who spent almost three weeks in isolation.

He and the other children said they were assigned cleaning duties at Casa Guadalupe. In addition to washing dishes and helping serve food, they had to scrub the bathroom at least twice a week.

“They didn’t even give us gloves to clean the toilet,” Diego said.

Shelter workers were particularly worried about lice, Leidy recalled.

“They would look over everything in your room,” she said, “and if it wasn’t perfectly clean, they’d take away your blankets.”

While at the shelter, Diogo turned nine with no fanfare. His mother, Lidia Souza, had been released from ICE custody two weeks earlier. She called him on the phone, told him not to cry and promised him a party and a Nintendo — one that worked — for a present. He begged her to hurry.

When Victor turned 11 at the shelter, his mother called from a detention center in Eloy, Ariz., and sang him the Latino birthday song, “Las Mañanitas.”

“When my mom sang to me,” he said, “I was crying because it was the first time that we didn’t celebrate my birthday together.”

By the time some of the children were able to speak to the parents from whom they’d been taken, they felt like strangers to one another.

Sirley Silveira Paixao, a migrant from Brazil seeking asylum, kisses her 10-year-old son Diego Magalhaes, after Diego was released from immigration detention in Chicago on July 5. (Charles Rex Arbogast/AP)

When Diego’s mother, Sirley Silveira Paixao reached him in the shelter shortly after her own release from ICE detention, the boy didn’t recognize her voice.

“Hi,” he said. “Who is this?”

“Diego,” she recalled answering, “this is your mom.”

'Are they going to send me back?'

When Sandy arrived at her new home in the Boston suburbs, she saw leafy trees and thick grass and an expansive yard. Inside the main house, she marveled at the host family’s piano, which she had only seen in movies.

But inside the small, two-story guesthouse where she and her mother would stay, the girl could not shake off the two months of conditioning in the shelter. She refused to sleep upstairs in the bed.

“The boys slept upstairs” at the shelter, she explained.

So mother and daughter slept on a pillow downstairs by the bay window, where the girl dreamed she was back in Guatemala, at her cousin’s funeral. He’d been killed just before they left.

When Sandy woke up shouting and shaking, her mother said, Gonzalez-Garcia tried to calm her.

“It was like she didn’t recognize me,” Gonzalez-Garcia recalled.

The next day Gonzalez-Garcia threw her the pizza party she had promised. There were dolls and balloons featuring characters from her favorite movie, “Frozen.”

Sandy Gonzalez plays with her mom, Angelica Gonzalez-Garcia. The 8-year-old still fears she’ll wind up back at the shelter. (Josh Reynolds/for The Washington Post)

But two days later, during a trip to the park, the girl threw a fit when her mother strayed from her side to talk to some friends.

“You don’t love me,” Sandy screamed before running off. “You don’t want me.”

Gonzalez-Garcia said she is planning to take Sandy to a psychologist this week. And there have been small signs of progress.

Her mother was delighted when Sandy raced outside last week after an invitation to play from the host family’s 6-year-old boy. For an hour, the two rode bicycles and drew on the driveway in chalk.

On Friday, Sandy sat at the small table in the guesthouse, drawing and eating ramen as her mother met with one of the family’s immigration attorneys.

In a black notebook, Sandy drew her new home and the path that connected it to the house of their host family. She colored the clouds blue and the sun bright yellow. Beneath one house, shaded purple and pink, she wrote the name of the host family. Beneath the other: Sandy.

But when her mother drew a bird near the clouds using a black pen, Sandy seemed to recoil.

“Tell the bird not to touch,” she said.

Now she opened a “Frozen” coloring book to a picture of Elsa hugging Anna and began to translate the caption into Spanish.

“It says, ‘Elsa and Anna are sisters and friends,’ ” she read slowly. “They’ll never be separated again.”

When it came to her own family, Sandy wasn’t so sure. She thought of the shelter every day. And when her mother didn’t immediately fill out forms — for school, for health care, for asylum — the girl worried that it was she who would be punished; that she would be sent back to the shouting and the rules and the room where she had spent so many hours alone.

“Me van a regresar?” Sandy asked the attorney, Brittanie Allen. “Are they going to send me back?”

“No,” Allen replied firmly.

“See?” said Gonzalez-Garcia. “Did you hear?”

“She said yes,” Sandy insisted.

“You’re never going to go back there again,” Allen promised.

“No,” the girl agreed quietly.

(The Washington Post)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/17/2018 5:12:22 PM
After 30 years, police say they’ve captured a child-killer who left a sickening trail of taunts

Investigators in northern Indiana arrested John D. Miller, 59, July 15 in connection with the 1988 death of 8-year-old April Tinsley.

It was chilly on April 1 — Good Friday — 1988, the sky in Fort Wayne bruised over with threatening storm clouds. April Tinsley — a blond-haired, dark-eyed first-grader — left her home for a friend’s house two streets away. When April failed to walk through the door by dinnertime, her mother reported the little girl missing. “You’re sitting there looking out the window and trying to think, ‘Where is she? Who’s got her?’ ” Tinsley’s mother, Janet Tinsley, told Crime Watch Daily in 2016.

Three days later, a jogger spotted the body of a child in a water-filled ditch twisting through the rural fields of nearby Amish country. One of Tinsley’s shoes was found 1,000 feet from where she was located, according to court documents. Police also recovered a sex toy in a shopping bag left near the site. An autopsy showed the victim had been sexually assaulted and asphyxiated.

“You got an 8-year-old girl that was sexually assaulted and strangled,” Fort Wayne Police Detective Cary Young told Crime Watch Daily. “She suffered, and we don’t know exactly how long she suffered. It could have been three days of horror.”

Witnesses recounted seeing a girl matching April’s description being forced into a blue truck near her house. A description of the suspect was circulated, but investigators failed to track down any substantial leads. DNA evidence found in the girl’s underwear also did not initially point to a perpetrator. The barn message scrawled two years later in 1990 unnerved the community. But again, the taunting note produced nothing in terms of immediate concrete investigative evidence.

In 1990, police discovered a message on a barn door apparently left by April Tinsely’s killer. (FBI)

But the alleged killer surfaced again 14 years later.

In 2004, four notes were left at homes scattered across the Fort Wayne area. Three of the messages — written on lined yellow paper — were placed on young girls’s bicycles. An additional note was put in a mailbox. Three of the messages were inside plastic bags with used condoms and Polaroid pictures of the sender’s nude lower body. Several of the notes referred to April.

“Hi honey,” one note read, according to a picture released by the FBI. “I been watching you I am the same person that kinapped an rape an kill Aproil Tinsely you are my next victim.” The same message demanded that the young girl report the note to the police; the writer said that if they didn’t see an article on the message in the newspaper or on the local TV station, they would blow up the child’s house.

Again, the letter did not immediately point police toward a suspect. But the DNA material recovered from the condoms matched the evidence recovered from Tinsley’s underwear — concretely linking the deranged 2004 notes with the 1988 killing.

Years passed. The case flickered in and out of the national spotlight. Last April, to mark the 30th anniversary of April’s murder, Janet Tinsley decided to hold a balloon release in a small neighborhood park dedicated to April near her home. More than 70 people attended, sending balloons up into the gray April sky.

“We thought ain’t nobody really going to show up,” Janet Tinsley told the Fort Wayne Journal Gazette. “But then all the sudden we see a lot of people. It made me pretty happy. And hopefully they’ll continue supporting her, and thinking of her, and bringing up her name.”

According to the recently filed court documents, by the next month, the case had taken a dramatic turn.

In May, the Fort Wayne Police Department submitted the suspect’s DNA to Parabon NanoLabs. Using public genealogy databases, the firm’s researcher CeCe Moore was able to narrow the possible suspects down to two brothers in the Fort Wayne area.

In 2004, April Tinsley’s killer allegedly left notes for other young girls, threatening that they would be next. (FBI)

Police tracked one — Miller — to a trailer park in Grabill, Ind., outside Fort Wayne. Investigators pulled trash from the location, including three used condoms Miller had allegedly discarded. According to the probable-cause affidavit, the DNA from the recently obtained condoms matched the DNA from the 2004 condoms, which matched the genetic profile found on the victim.

On Sunday, two detectives approached Miller outside his trailer and asked him to come to the police station to talk. There, after advising Miller of his rights, the detectives asked him whether he knew why they wanted to speak with him.

“April Tinsley,” the suspect allegedly told police, according to the affidavit.

According to the court document, Miller confessed after learning police had a DNA match linking him to the murder. He allegedly admitted to police he abducted Tinsley, took her back to his trailer and raped her. He allegedly strangled her to keep her from reporting the rape to police. Miller allegedly told police he dumped her body at night.

The next day he allegedly found the young girl’s shoe in his car. Driving past the ditch where he laid the body, Miller tossed the shoe in, too, he allegedly told investigators.

Miller faces felony charges of murder, child molestation and criminal confinement. Authorities plan to offer additional information at a news conference Tuesday.

(The Washington Post)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/18/2018 10:41:57 AM

Genetically modified babies given go ahead by UK ethics body

The Nuffield Council on Bioethics says changing the DNA of a human embryo could be ‘morally permissable’ if it is in the child’s best interests

Making changes to the genes in sperm and eggs in order minimise future disease could save a significant number of babies from pain and suffering, said a Harvard geneticist. Photograph: Image Source/Getty Images/Image Source

The creation of babies whose DNA has been altered to give them what parents perceive to be the best chances in life has received a cautious green light in a landmark report from a leading UK ethics body.

The Nuffield Council on Bioethics said that changing the DNA of a human embryo could be “morally permissible” if it was in the future child’s interests and did not add to the kinds of inequalities that already divide society.

The report does not call for a change in UK law to permit genetically altered babies, but instead urges research into the safety and effectiveness of the approach, its societal impact, and a widespread debate of its implications.

“It is our view that genome editing is not morally unacceptable in itself,” said Karen Yeung, chair of the Nuffield working group and professor of law, ethics and informatics at the University of Birmingham. “There is no reason to rule it out in principle.”

Recent advances in genetic technology have given scientists the tools to rewrite the DNA bound up in living cells, letter by letter. With the procedures in hand, scientists can in principle tweak the genetic code in sperm, eggs and embryos, and change dramatically how future children develop.But the report drew immediate criticism from some quarters, with one lobby group accusing the authors of opening the door to the unrestricted use of heritable genetic engineering, and an age of genetic haves and have-nots.

While laws in the UK and some other countries currently ban the creation of genetically altered babies, a handful of experiments around the world have shown that DNA editing could, in principle, prevent children from inheriting serious diseases caused by faulty genes.

The prospect of modifying genes in human embryos has long been controversial though. For a start, the procedure has yet to be proven safe. In a study published inNature Biotechnology on Monday, British researchers found that the most popular tool for genome editing, Crispr-Cas9, caused more damage to DNA than previously thought. If the scientists are right, gene editing could disrupt healthy genes when it is meant only to fix faulty ones.

Another consideration is that any changes made to an embryo’s DNA would affect all of its cells, including the sperm or eggs, meaning that genetic modifications would be passed down to all future generations. Also, in the vast majority of cases alternative procedures, such as preimplantation genetic testing, can be used to screen embryos for harmful DNA.

DNA editing also raises the possibility of “designer babies”, where the genetic code of embryos created through standard IVF is rewritten so that children have traits the parents find desirable. The Nuffield report does not rule out any specific uses of genome editing, but says that to be ethical, any applications must follow the principles of being in the child’s interests, and have no ill-effects for society.

Jackie Leach Scully, professor of social ethics and bioethics at Newcastle University, and a co-author on the report, said heritable genome editing may one day become an option for parents “to try and secure what they think is the best start in life” for their future children.

But she warned that there could be unintended consequences if the law were changed to allow gene editing of human embryos. While the technology could potentially reduce the number of people affected by certain genetic disorders, it could leave those with the diseases feeling more marginalised and with less medical support.

The report urges government to set up a new body to ensure that as many voices as possible are involved in public discussions about what should and should not be permissible. “We are very clear that what we need to have is as wide a discussion about this issue as possible,” Leach Scully said. In the event that the law is changed, gene editing of human embryos should be considered on a case-by-case basis by the fertility regulator, the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority, the report adds.

George Church, a geneticist at Harvard University who was not involved in the report, said he agreed with the report’s guiding principle that gene editing “should not be expected to increase disadvantage, discrimination, or division in society,” adding that this would be aided by lower costs and better public dialogue and education. Making changes to common gene variants in sperm and eggs could save roughly 5% of babies from painful diseases he said.

But Marcy Darnovsky at the Center for Genetics and Society in California said that the report recognised that if reproductive gene editing was permitted, it would be used for enhancement and cosmetic purposes. “They dispense with the usual pretence that this could – or, in their estimation, should – be prevented. They acknowledge that this may worsen inequality and social division, but don’t believe that should stand in the way. In practical terms, they have thrown down a red carpet for unrestricted use of inheritable genetic engineering, and a gilded age in which some are treated as genetic ‘haves’ and the rest of us as ‘have-nots'."

(
theguardian.com)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/18/2018 11:16:30 AM

The US Gov’t Has “Lost” Enough Radioactive Material to Bomb Nagasaki 800 Times

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/18/2018 11:35:08 AM

After deadly floods, now dangerous heatwave kills at least 8 in Japan – Thousands suffer from exhaustion and man gets stuck in tarmac (video)

This summer 2018, Japan is experiencing dramatic natural disasters, one after the other. After deadly floods, dramatic landslides and a strong quake 10 days ago, now a deadly heatwave is currently sitting over the country and doesn’t seem to decrease in intensity. Two people died and about 2,000 people suffered heatstroke or exhaustion on Sunday, as a heatwave continued scorching Japan during a three-day weekend. The weather agency warned people to take measures to prevent heatstroke and exhaustion, as the hot weather is expected to continue through next Sunday.

A blistering heatwave has hampered the disaster-relief efforts in parts of Japan. Many are in shelters after torrential rain destroyed thousands of homes. A number of people have died and at least 2,000 suffered heatstroke in 35-38C temps.

Temperatures rose above 35°C in many parts of western and eastern Japan with the highest for Sunday at 38.8°C recorded in the city of Fukuchiyama, Kyoto and the town of Ibigawa, Gifu.

Of the 927 monitoring points nationwide, 200 logged highs of at least 35°C.

The extreme heat made it harder to carry out relief operations in the regions ravaged by the recent flooding and landslides.

In the hardest-hit prefectures of Okayama, Hiroshima and Ehime, a total of 184 people, including volunteers removing and cleaning up debris, were taken to hospitals, as the mercury reached 36.0°C in some areas. Aichi was the worst hit city with 166 people hospitalized.

Six people died and over 1,500 were treated for illness from the heat on Saturday, with the highest temperature of 38.7°C logged in Tajimi, Gifu.

The weather agency warned people to take measures to prevent heatstroke and exhaustion, as the hot weather is expected to continue through next Sunday.

Meanwhile, it is so hot in China that this man got stuck in the melting tarmac, while trying to cross the street:

Be prepared! Get ready!

(strangesounds.org)

+1

facebook
Like us on Facebook!