Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: ARE WE NOW IN THE END TIMES?
10/20/2017 2:17:11 PM

5,000-mile long 'river in the sky' to deliver heavy rain, feet of snow to Northwest

, USA TODAYPublished 4:14 p.m. ET Oct. 18, 2017 | Updated 11:23 a.m. ET Oct. 19, 2017

An atmospheric river that stretches from Asia to North America will pelt the Northwest with rain and snow. (Photo: NASA)

An atmospheric river is poised to funnel gigantic amounts of rain and snow to the Northwest over the next few days.

As much as 15 inches of rain is forecast in the mountains along with several inches in coastal areas, including Portland and Seattle. It could be Seattle's wettest weather since February, the National Weather Service said.

There is also a risk of flash flooding in western Washington and northwestern Oregon on Thursday as a result of the heavy rainfall, the weather service warned.

View image on TwitterView image on Twitter

Next 24 hrs likely to be Seattle's wettest since mid-February. Wind & rain increasing thru afternoon w/ cold front still far offshore.

Snowfall will expand throughout the Washington and Oregon Cascades and parts of the northern Rockies on Thursday — with some light snowfall in higher elevations of northern California. By Friday, snow will continue across the Cascades and throughout the northern Rockies.

On the very tops of the Cascade mountains, a whopping 9 feet of snow could fall, the weather service said.

Some of the rain will make it down to fire-ravaged California in the next few days. However, while a few periods of rain are in store for northern California late Thursday through Friday, a widespread, fire-quenching rainfall is not expected, AccuWeather said.

Another one of these rivers in the sky could funnel rain into Oregon by the weekend.

A Seahawks flag flaps in the wind and rain in Seattle. A potent storm is forecast to pelt the Northwest over the next couple of days.
(Photo: KING-TV)

Atmospheric rivers

Made visible by clouds, the ribbons of water vapor known as atmospheric rivers can extend thousands of miles from the tropics to the western USA. They provide the fuel for the massive rainstorms and subsequent floods along the U.S. West Coast.

The one that's fueling the storms this week stretches some 5,000 miles, all the way from Asia.

Though beneficial for water supplies in the western USA, these events can wreak havoc on travel, bring deadly mudslides and cause catastrophic damage to life and property, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration said.

A composite NASA image earlier today showing a solid swath of moisture stretching from coastal China to western British Columbia.

One well-known nickname for an atmospheric river is the "Pineapple Express," which occurs when the source of the moisture is near Hawaii. A single strong atmospheric river can transport up to 15 times the water vapor compared with the average flow of water at the mouth of the Mississippi River, according to NOAA's Earth System Research Laboratory.

Last winter, an onslaught of atmospheric rivers knocked out the five-year drought in Northern California. Much of the Sierra Nevada saw its rainiest and snowiest October-February period on record, the weather service said.

Warmer, drier next week

The cooler, damper weather will likely be short-lived. Another warm, dry pattern is forecast for next week in the West, especially in southern California.

"A strong upper ridge building across the southwestern U.S. should bring some record warmth to the region early next week," the weather service said. "Current forecast highs above the 100 degree mark over Southern California may break some daily records." Hot, dry, breezy conditions could spur on a fire weather risk during the period.

High temperatures are expected to soar as much as 30 degrees above average in Southern California, with the worst heat arriving Tuesday.

Almost the entire state of California will see highs in the 80s and 90s by early next week.

“Record heat is forecast for early next week,” the Los Angeles office of the weather service said.

(USA TODAY)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/20/2017 4:00:43 PM
Massive die-offs around the world: 103 whales in Brazil, 86% insects disappear in nature parks in Germany, multiple thousands of fish in Uruguay, Paraguay, India and Thailand

By
Strange Sounds
-
Oct 19, 2017

Meanwhile, massive die-offs are happening around the world baffling residents and officials.

103 whales have already washed up dead this year in Brazil, thousands of fish found dead in dam reservoir in Uruguay, in lakes in India and in rivers in Paraguay and Portugal, and tons of fish along a beach in Thailand.

The whale season on the Brazilian coast – between July and October – is coming to an end with a sad record this year: 103 strandings across the country. This is the all-time record. And a disturbing question remains: what is behind this number?

Record whale strandings in Brazil. And officials do not know why. via Correio

Thousands of fish found dead in dam reservoir in Palmar, Uruguay

Residents living around the Palmar Dam are reporting the presence of thousands of dead fish along the Rio Negro. Locals say it had already happened 2 years ago. It may be due to water scarcity in the bed of the river.

Thousands of dead fish in Rio Negro an effluent of Palmar dam. via Lr21

Thousands of fish mysteriously die in lakes in Mahbubnagar, India

About 5000 fish, normally living in deeper parts of the fresh water bodies, were found dead in the Mahbubsagar lake. The massive fish kill raises concerns about toxicpollution.

thousands fish die in India. via Deccanchronicle

Thousands of fish found dead in river near Asuncion, Paraguay

Between 5,000 and 10,000 small and medium-sized fish have been found dead in the Confuso River of Paraguay, located about 50 kilometers northwest of Asuncion. Officials believe it is due to illegal dump of waste waters. Scientists have taken water samples to determine the exact cause of the die-off.

Apocalyptical fish mass die-off in the river Confoso in Paraguay since last Saturday

La imagen puede contener: planta, exterior, agua, naturaleza y comida
La imagen puede contener: planta, exterior y naturaleza
La imagen puede contener: planta, árbol, calzado, exterior, naturaleza y agua
La imagen puede contener: planta, árbol, exterior, naturaleza y agua
+2

Thousands of fish found dead in the River Tagus, Portugal

The fish die off is most probably linked to pollution, but everything is more than unclear.

Tons of fish along a beach in Hua Hin, Thailand

Many tonnes of small fish were washed up dead along about 10 kilometres of the Hua Hin beach after heavy rains. According to officials, the freshwater drained off into the sea diminishing the quantity of dissolved oxygen.

tons of fish die in thailand. via Bangkokpost

Approximately all insects disappeared mysteriously in national parks across Germany

Meanwhile in Germany, the number of virtually all insects has decrease by 75-82% in all the reserves and national parks in Germany. The reason behind this astronomic number of deaths in unclear. But it is extremely serious and of great concern.

(strangesounds.org)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/20/2017 4:54:56 PM

5yo Syrian girl dies in ‘concentration camp’ funded by UK taxpayers: RT reports from Moria

The girl, her parents and her five siblings had been offered a freezing tent in the squalid camp when they arrived in search of safety a week earlier.

Her body was discovered last Sunday by her father and pregnant mother, who just hours before were denied extra blankets to keep their daughter warm and given just paracetamol to treat her medical issues.

“I crawled inside and the blankets on the floor were wet, it was so cold and dirty and damp,” Daliah, a volunteer and former protection team employee who visited the family, told RT UK.

“Their daughter had just died and they were left there. They had nothing. No visit from a psychiatrist. The mother was silent. They were in shock and the children were saying ‘my sister died – she died just here.’

“There was a volunteer there in tears. He told me they just pulled her out like a dog and took her away. There was no dignity.”

Following her “unexplained” death, her tiny body was buried without an Islamic funeral and without her mother being present.

“She became nothing but a number – she didn’t even get her last respect,” Daliah said.

The child, whose parents did not wish to be identified, is yet another victim of the migration crisis Europe has mishandled and misjudged.
With grotesque irony, European Union ministers who advocate saving refugees from war zones enjoy worldwide praise for funding camps like these.

Two years after the likes of Angela Merkel were photographed smiling with Syrians in Europe, the camps are in turmoil.

Millions have been wasted – an estimated $70 of every $100 handed to Greece.

Migrants claim they are beaten, neglected and treated so badly they beg to be returned to war zones.

“In one month I am finished. I will end my life. I cannot take this,” Syrian Khalid Mohammed told RT UK.

The 20-year-old’s arms bear scars from where he has repeatedly slashed his skin open, while his legs carry shrapnel wounds from the war in Raqqa.

Khalid has been stranded on Lesbos for more than a year while he waits to join his family.

“There is water but you have to be in the line at 8am to get it; if you are not in the line you don’t get it,” he said.

“The food is very bad, there is no soap and no shampoo.

“I cannot get a decision for asylum because I am not underage – but I am not an adult.”

Families spend their days outside the camp, giving their young ones a break from the horror, as politicians are re-elected on the strength of their bogus benevolence.

Barbed wire fences stop the public getting in and seeing where huge sums are squandered. The filthy tent city built to house 3,000 contains an estimated 4,000 people.

Children sleep near men with post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) who shout and scream and suffer night terrors. Mental illness goes untreated, as well as physical wounds, as volunteer doctors are stretched beyond their limits.

Syrians cannot be returned, and Iraqi and Afghan migrants are also unlikely to face deportation.

Host nations have taken in so many they are slow to take more. Certain nations like Hungary, Poland and Austria have outright refused to share the burden; scared of a right wing revolt, the EU will not force them to do so.

Barkat Sharaf Yosef, 30, travelled from Sinjar to Europe after Islamic State (IS, formerly ISIS/ISIL) militants slaughtered Yazidis in the mountainous region. Taking his wife Oatha, 34, and their four children, he fled through Turkey.

Their daughter Rola, 9, suffered a broken wrist after falling over a tent wire. Her siblings Naza, 7, Foad, 6, and Amera, 1, are all crammed into a tent with other families.

“They are just living on the ground,” their translator said.

“They have five families in a small tent. It is dangerous and the girls are very scared. This is not the place to raise children.”

Mahmood, 22, grew up in Iraq – yet he has experienced brutality in Greece over one year two months.

“There was a peaceful sit-in for refugees to speed up the asylum process,” he said.

“The police assaulted the refugees, beat them with tear gas, arrested them and they went to prison in Athens.

“It is hell.”

About €1.3 billion ($1.5bn) worth of support has been pledged to Greece until 2020 from the EU Asylum, Migration and Integration Fund (AMIF) and the International Security Fund (ISF).

A further €700 million has been pledged through the Emergency Support Instrument.

Britain contributed £13 billion ($17bn), £250 million per week, to the EU budget in 2015 and 2016.

Approached by RT UK, Britain’s Department for International Development (DfID) didn’t seem to know how much of this money is actually reaching the Moria camp.

Panagiotii Koustantonis, a Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) social worker, told RT UK many migrants are waiting up to six months to see a doctor.

Medical staff on the island have seen horrors, including a man with a bullet lodged in his face who could not get surgery, and women recently raped with no access to healthcare.

“We are treating extremely vulnerable people,” Liza Papadimitriou, MSF Humanitarian Affairs Officer said.

“Victims of torture and violence, serious non-communicable diseases, unaccompanied minors. There is one psychiatrist in the hospital on the island, and this is the biggest challenge for severe mental health patients. Basically it is a complete mess.”

Papadimitriou said there is a total lack of transparency over how many migrants are on the island – and how many are inside Moria – as new arrivals land every week.

The EU aid department, Echo, has given UNHCR more than €14 million since April to prepare camps for the winter.

The 5-year-old Syrian girl won’t be the last to die in Moria before spring.

By Zoie O'Brien, RT

(RT)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/20/2017 5:32:51 PM

‘Why are Americans fighting & dying in Niger & other countries?’ – former diplomat Jim Jatras

Edited time: 20 Oct, 2017 13:13

US Army Special Forces soldiers observe as Nigerien armed forces service members fire their weapons with the assistance of illumination rounds during Exercise Flintlock 2017 in Diffa, Niger. © U.S. Army / AFP

There is a strategic problem regarding a broader US policy which has been moving forward on inertia since George W. Bush with a global war on ‘whoever they are this week’ without a whole lot of examination, said former diplomat Jim Jatras.

Senator John McCain said the White House hasn’t been forthcoming regarding the ambush in Niger which left four US soldiers dead and two wounded. McCain told reporters on Thursday the Senate Armed Services Committee, which he chairs, has been told “very little” about the incident in Niger. He added that the committee may have to take legal action to get answers from the White House.

RT America’s Ed Schultz asked former US diplomat Jim Jatras where he thinks this is going when McCain is talking subpoena.

Jim Jatras: To tell the truth he shouldn't have to subpoena anything. He is the chairman of the Armed Services Committee, and the administration should be willing to provide him whatever information he asked for. My only concern here is that: are they just going to look at the worm’s eye view of what happened on the ground tactically, who may be messed up here that these guys got killed, or they are going to look at the bigger picture that I think most Americans are worried about. Niger, where is Niger? Why do we have Americans fighting and dying in Niger? What other countries, under what authority, do we have Americans fighting and dying? I think those are the real questions there. And I hope chairman McCain and the Armed Services Committee delve into that, not just who messed up here.

RT: What is your analysis? Why is the US in Niger?

JJ: In a way, some people especially on the Democratic side, say“Well, this is going to be Trump's Benghazi.” Maybe there's an element to that. Because remember the enemy here in Niger is Al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb. This is the same group the French had to come in 2012 against in Mali. It all leads back to the boneheaded decision to overthrow Gaddafi and which was just a huge shot of adrenaline, a big pile of weapons to go to all of these terrorist groups that destabilized now the whole region including Niger. Let's look at the big picture here, not just what happened here a few days ago that tragically resulted in these deaths.

RT: The mainstream media has got a lot of Americans ginned up about the fact the White House is not forthcoming. Defense Secretary James Mattis said Thursday he didn’t have a full report on what happened in the Niger attack. How unusual is this?

JJ: I think that they should have most of those details now, it doesn't sound so much that these details are available even to the Pentagon. But even what the Pentagon knows is not being turned over to the committee. I don't think chairman McCain would be that angry and essentially accused them of not cooperating and threatened a subpoena unless he thought they had more information than they were giving him.

RT: It's two weeks after the attack, these investigations shouldn't take that long because the military is in total control of this. But what I find interesting is that the intel for the military told the patrol that violence was “unlikely.” Apparently, they got it wrong. Why and how?

JJ: The same questions people asked about the death that occurred in Yemen early in the Trump presidency. Again, how many countries do we have where Americans are in these situations, where “violence is unlikely”? But it is likely to happen anyway. And that is the real question that, I think, needs to be gotten to hear. I hope the committee addresses it.

RT: Leaving a soldier behind on the field - that just isn't good. Is someone going to have to answer for that?

JJ: I think so. And of course, you do hear coming out of the administration “We don't leave people behind.” Is that just a slogan or is that something that they're actually committed to? At least, from what I understand of the circumstances, three soldiers were killed and then another one was missing. And then later was found dead. How did they lose account of him? What exactly happened? Those are legitimate questions. Let's not lose the forest for the trees here. There's a strategic problem here in terms of a broader US policy that is simply moving forward on inertia without a whole lot of examination.

RT: But it really does seem that the Trump administration is just following what the Obama administration did with scattering troops across the globe and hitting these hotspots. What do you think?

JJ: Exactly right. And let's be honest the Obama administration was simply following the George W. Bush administration's precedent on this as well that we have this global war on whoever they are this week: whether it's ISIS or Al-Qaeda or some spinoff from Al-Qaeda. Where is the strategy? I don't see the strategy and I don't think there is one coming out of this administration either.

(RT)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/20/2017 5:46:18 PM

Fundamentalist Pastor Arrested on Child Molestation Charges

JESSILYN JUSTICE

A fundamentalist pastor allegedly molested multiple children under the age of 10. (
Skitterphoto)

An Indiana pastor was arrested after allegedly molesting multiple young girls.

Garry Evans, a fundamentalist pastor at Rushville Baptist Temple, allegedly lured children—some as young as 3—into his office where he would touch them inappropriately and made them touch him.

After a police investigation in September, Evans was charged with three counts of child molest, four counts of sexual battery, and five counts of child solicitation.

One family in the congregation reports three of their girls, ages 3, 5 and 7, were abused at the hands of the clergyman.

When the molestation accusations surfaced, other victims came forward, and four more children under the age of 10 said they were harmed by Evans.

Rushville Police Chief Craig Tucker said a woman also came forward and said she had been molested by Evans decades ago, in a different community, The Indy Channelreports. That woman helped police pursue the new cases, but it is unclear if charges can be sought in hers.According to one report, one girl said Evans touched her "nearly every time she went to church." She said when she told Evans "No," he just laughed. Another girl, according to the report, said Evans regularly touched her.

"It's mind-blowing to think that you should be able to send your children to church, and they should be safe," a church neighbor says.

The arrest comes after media mogul Harvey Weinstein was forced to resign due to multiple sexual abuse allegations.

Jessilyn Justice
is the director of online news for Charisma. Born and raised in a pastor's family in Alabama, she attended Lee University and the Washington Journalism Center. She's passionate about sharing God's goodness through storytelling. Tell her what you think of this story on Twitter @jessilynjustice.

(charismanews.com)

+1

facebook
Like us on Facebook!