Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: ARE WE NOW IN THE END TIMES?
10/10/2017 10:57:51 AM

Longest War In US History Turns 16 – Thousands Dead, No End In Sight And It’s Getting Worse

OCTOBER 8, 2017

By Rachel Blevins

On October 7th 16 years ago, less than one month after 9/11, President George W. Bush delivered a televised address from the White House announcing the beginning of the Afghanistan War.

“On my orders, the United States military has begun strikes against al Qaeda terrorist training camps and military installations of the Taliban regime in Afghanistan,” he said.

What Bush did not say was the fact that the War in Afghanistan would become the longest war in United States history. Thousands of American lives and billions of taxpayer dollars would be wasted at the expense of the U.S. war machine, and the “War on Terrorism” would only create more terrorism as a result.

Over 31,000 civilian deaths have been documented in Afghanistan following the U.S. invasion. It should be noted that over the last few years, civilian deaths have substantially increased—which serves as a reminder that the situation is only getting worse.

The United Nations Assistance Mission in Afghanistan began documenting civilian casualties in 2009. The combined number of civilians who were killed and injured that year was nearly 6,000. The number has steadily increased over the years, and in 2016, it reached a record high with nearly 3,500 killed and nearly 8,000 injured.

A report from the UNAMA noted that in 2017, the death rate for children has increased by 9 percent over the previous year, and the death rate for women has increased by 23 percent. The report also claimed that an increase in airstrikes has led to a 43 percent increase in causalities.

Before the United States invaded Afghanistan, the production of opium poppies was significantly low, thanks to the Taliban. Not only did the presence of the U.S. military lead to a rise in opium production—because U.S. Marines were literally guarding fields of poppy plants—it led to a drastic increase that has done wonders for the illegal drug trade.

According to a report from the UN Office on Drugs and Crime, between 2015 and 2016, opium production in Afghanistan increased by 43 percent, and the area used to farm the poppy plant increased by 10 percent to 201,000 hectares. In response to the report, UNODC Executive Director Yury Fedotov said the figures were “a worrying reversal in efforts.”

After 16 years of war and a price tag of over $1 Trillion, the United States has not only helped Afghanistan to become the largest producer of opium in world, it has ensured that the war-ravaged country produces around 90 percent of the world’s opium supply.

When former President Obama ran for office in the 2008 election, he campaigned on the promise of ending the Afghanistan War—which resonated with a number of Americans who were hopeful that a fresh face in the oval office would bring about the “change” needed to finally end the war.

However, while Obama promised to end the war and increased it instead, President Trump has been much more blunt about the fact that the war in Afghanistan is not coming to an end anytime soon, and while the U.S. may have a strategy in mind, it does not appear to include an “exit.”

The longest War in United States history turns 16 years old today, and in just two years, brand new military recruits will have the opportunity to fight in a war that has been ongoing for as long as they have been alive. While there are many Americans who support the concept of military intervention—including in countries that have done nothing to the U.S.—even they should be asking the question of why the United States continues to fight a war that has only created an increase in terrorism, innocent civilian deaths and illegal drug production.

Rachel Blevins is a Texas-based journalist who aspires to break the left/right paradigm in media and politics by pursuing truth and questioning existing narratives. Follow Rachel on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube. This article first appeared at The Free Thought Project.

(activistpost.com)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+2
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/10/2017 4:10:44 PM

Without Trump’s help, Puerto Rico’s poorest communities organize their own relief

This story was originally published by Mother Jones and is reproduced here as part of the Climate Desk collaboration.

As we wind our way down Avenida Rexach, one of the main pathways through the warren of streets in San Juan’s Barrio Obrero Marina, Lymaris De Jesús tries to paint a picture of what it was like after Hurricane Maria passed through. Today, the streets are packed with kids riding bikes, trucks collecting trash, people sitting in chairs on the sidewalk to escape the heat of their homes, and, every few blocks, somebody with a generator and a power strip who’s offering phone charges for $2. But two weeks ago, De Jesús says, “this was all filled with black water.”

I’m with De Jesús and several local journalists, and she’s showing us around the neighborhoods that surround the Martín Peña Channel, a body of water nearly four miles long that snakes through the heart of the capital. Some 26,000 people, most of them poor, call these densely packed communities in the shadow of the city’s financial district home.

Hurricane Maria caused extensive flooding in the area, and the black water De Jesús mentions was the product of heavy rains mixed with the overwhelmed channel, which has been polluted with raw sewage and garbage for decades. The toxic mix was several feet deep in places but quickly receded. Now, two weeks later, parts of the neighborhood still have the occasional, overwhelming smell of an open sewer.

But aside from the lingering stink in some places, the communities around the Martín Peña Channel have rebounded relatively quickly from the hurricane’s destruction. Soon after the storm hit, people here are starting coming together to clear many of the streets themselves, separating debris into distinct piles: one for vegetation and garbage, and another for heavier items like utility poles and chunks of concrete or zinc from damaged homes. De Jesús tells us that the community had many of the streets cleared and the piles formed by the third day after the storm.

That’s because while President Donald Trump was complaining that Puerto Ricans haven’t helped themselves and were too reliant on federal help, people living near the channel were busy tapping into a network of community organizations, nonprofits, and corporations working with the local government to mobilize, clean up, and begin the long process of bringing life in their neighborhoods back to normal.

Inés Vega (left) and María Huertas take inventory of donations at Corporacíon Proyecto Enlace Caño Martín Peña.
AJ Vicens/Mother Jones

And that network goes back decades. As the story goes, ever since a group of peasants established these communities by occupying the mangroves around the channel in the 1920s and 1930s, developers and the government have been trying to force them from the land. To combat these efforts, residents got together and eventually formed a land trust in 2004.

The grassroots organizing that went into creating the land trust made planning the recovery here much easier than in other parts of the island torn apart by Maria. The public corporation that manages the land trust, Proyecto Enlace del Caño Martín Peña, has been a hub for donations and relief efforts, documenting which homes in the area are destroyed or damaged, coordinating relief package deliveries, and doing it all without much help from the feds.

“This is a community of hardworking people,” says Lyvia Rodríguez Valle, the executive director of Proyecto Enlace. She tells me that the people of the area knew that they’d have to organize their own relief because Maria “had devastated all of Puerto Rico, and they were just one community.”

Lyvia Rodríguez shows a map showing damage to homes in the community. Yellow means a destroyed roof; green means the entire house was destroyed. AJ Vicens/Mother Jones

Soon after the storm passed, Enlace staffers and volunteers were working out of their office with no electricity, using laptops and phones they managed to charge somewhere else. They began organizing groups that did a census of the damage to the homes in the area and went house to house, assessing medical needs and identifying the most vulnerable. The headquarters got its power back two days ago, and they’ve been busy coordinating deliveries of donations to the community almost as fast as they come in. They’ve also organized brigades of volunteers to help residents fill out paperwork that will be submitted to the US Army Corps of Engineers to help with damage estimates.

Many in the community have volunteered to help others, even though they had their own issues to deal with. Take 72-year-old José Caraballo, who lost part of his roof of his home on Calle 10 in nearby Barrio Obrero Mariana. He says he stayed with a friend for two days before telling his wife that it was time to go home. “There’s no place to sleep like home,” he says. He secured enough metal sheets to repair his roof but had to hand cut them, from 10 feet long down to eight. After that, he says, he was able to repair the roof in about a day, with the help of a relative. “You can’t wait for the government to help,” Caraballo says.

But problems remain. Enlace has managed to get some meal donations from FEMA, but staffers have to go through each box to check the items because they’ve found fungus in some of the packages. FEMA also gave Enlace more than 400 tarps to distribute, but the ropes that came with them were too short, so the group had to buy its own. And the FEMA donations themselves offer their own particular challenge: The warehouse storing the items is in Caguas, about 30 minutes away from the channel, and trucks and diesel fuel are hard to come by right now.

There are also reports that landlords have hassled some area residents and threatened eviction if they don’t pay rent, even for homes that have been destroyed. And the piles of trash that remain on many of the narrow streets of the neighborhoods create a major safety hazard. If a pile of ruined furniture, garbage, and dead branches and leaves catches on fire — it’s been blazing hot since the hurricane, and everything’s drying out quickly — the tightly packed neighborhoods could go up in flames. “In regular conditions, one fire will burn eight houses,” Rodríguez said. “In this situation, it would be a tragedy.”

A smartphone photo showing damage in the community surrounding the Martín Peña Channel. AJ Vicens/Mother Jones

Enlace is also still seeking donations of money and items such as food, battery-operated fans, mosquito repellent, water filters, and solar lamps, among other items. They’ve set up a GoFundMe fundraising drive to raise money for the effort, and have already raised more than $20,000 of their $25,000 goal.

Meanwhile, Lucia Cruz Rivera, the president of the G-8, an organization formed to coordinate community and recreational organizations in the communities of the Martín Peña Channel, says the hard work of local residents is living proof of the effort Puerto Ricans are putting into the recovery — regardless of what the president tweets.

“We don’t give any importance to what Trump says,” she tells me. “Because here, people are doing work every day.”

(GRIST)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+2
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/10/2017 5:22:41 PM

1,000 ISIS militants surrender as Iraq retakes key town of Hawija

, USA TODAY

Published 5:03 p.m. ET Oct. 5, 2017 | Updated 10:26 p.m. ET Oct. 5, 2017

Members of the Iraqi forces, which are backed by fighters from the Hashed al-Shaabi, pose for a photograph in Hawija on Oct. 5, 2017, after retaking the city from the Islamic State. (Photo: Ahmad Al-Rubaye, AFP/Getty Images)

U.S.-backed Iraqi forces announced Thursday they have retaken one of the Islamic State's remaining strongholds after about 1,000 militants surrendered amid fresh signs the terror group is collapsing and unable to defend its territory.

“They’re giving up,” said Lt. Gen. Paul Funk, who commands the coalition task force fighting the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria. “Their leaders are abandoning them.”

The fall of Hawija in northern Iraq, after two weeks of fighting, is the latest in a string of defeats for the Islamic State, also known as ISIS, and suggests the rank-and-file fighters are demoralized as the group struggles to defend what remains of the territory it seized in 2014.

“The speed at which the enemy gave up surprised me,” Funk told USA TODAY in a phone interview from Baghdad, after Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi announced the liberation of Hawija.

Funk said about 1,000 militants surrendered in the past three or four days of fighting in Hawija. The coalition had estimated up to 1,500 militants were defending the city when the offensive began.

Smoke billows as Iraqi forces advance toward the Islamic State's stronghold of Hawija on Sept. 30, 2017, to recapture the town.
(Photo: Ahmad Al-Rubaye, AFP/Getty Images)

In July, Iraq announced that Mosul, the country’s second-largest city, was retaken from ISIS after about nine months of intense fighting. Since that decisive battle, the pace of the Islamic State's decline seems to have quickened.

U.S.-backed forces in Syria have recaptured about three-quarters of Raqqa, the ISIS headquarters, after about four months of fighting in the city.

ISIS' fierce reputation rested partly on the willingness of hardcore militants to fight to the last man, and the militants rarely surrendered.

But many of the fanatical foreign fighters who initially provided the leadership have been killed and those remaining on the battlefield are conscripts, who often lack the will to fight.

“They’re coming out with their hands up, putting their weapons down — full scale surrender,” Funk said. “It’s a growing trend.”

“What we are hearing (from those who surrendered) is, ‘Our leaders have abandoned us, we haven’t been fed, we haven’t been paid,’” Funk said.

Last week ISIS leader, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi released an audio exhorting his fighters to continue the battle. "I don’t think he's having much of an effect," Funk said. The day after the audio was released, several hundred fighters surrendered.

Fighters who surrendered or are captured are held by Iraqi or Kurdish forces.

A fighter from the Hashed al-Sahaabi units helps to carry a woman who fled from the ongoing battles to oust the Islamic State group from Hawija southeast of Kirkuk, Iraq.(Photo: Marwan Ibrahim, AFP/Getty Images)

ISIS swept into Iraq from Syria in 2014, capturing large swaths of territory. From a mosque in Mosul, al-Baghdadi announced the establishment of the group's so-called caliphate.

Today, as few as 3,000 militants might remain in Iraq in Syria, down from estimates up to 30,000, though officials caution that the numbers aren’t a good measure of the group’s strength.

Terror groups like the Islamic State have proven resilient, regenerating leaders and conscripting or recruiting new waves of fighters.

Coalition officials said the fight is not over, despite the progress. ISIS militants still control a string of towns and villages stretching along the Euphrates River in Iraq and Syria, where they are expected to make a last stand.

"It won't be easy and won't be quick," Funk said.

(usatoday.com)

+2
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/10/2017 6:20:58 PM

Whole neighborhoods wiped out in Santa Rosa as wildfires scorch California

· Oct 10, 2017, 1:52 PM ET

WATCHThousands flee as wildfires ravage California

Entire neighborhoods were scorched beyond recognition in the Santa Rosa, California, area, after fast-moving wildfires tore through, killing at least seven people.

Resident Joshua Corbett posted these photos on Instagram, writing, "This used to be a where I lived. The neighborhood is gone."

"I tried digging through the debris hoping something of mine was still there. Nothing," Corbett wrote. "I thankfully have most my clothes, and whatever valuables I could throw into my car in the 20-minute period between waking up and being forced to leave despite wanting to grab more of my things. It wasn't the fire that made me decide to stop packing. The smoke was too much, I couldn't handle it. Being out there was surreal, everything is burnt and destroyed."

"Please continue to send prayers our way," he wrote. "We need it."

At least 13 people have died as a result of wildfires across the state, authorities said Tuesday.

In the Santa Rosa area, 27,000 acres have burned. The Sonoma County Sheriff's Department says it's received up to 200 missing person reports. All Sonoma County public schools are closed today and officials say 24 evacuation centers are open to the public.

PHOTO: Smoke and flame rise from the Hilton Sonoma wine country during the Tubbs fire in Santa Rosa, Calif., Oct. 9, 2017.
Stephen Lam/Reuters
Smoke and flame rise from the Hilton Sonoma wine country during the Tubbs fire in Santa Rosa, Calif., Oct. 9, 2017.

Thousands of residents were displaced by the fires, according to Santa Rosa Mayor Chris Coursey.

“I’m lucky. My house is fine, my family is fine, but my city is not,” Santa Rosa Mayor Chris Coursey said at a press conference Monday. “It’s going to take a long time for us to recover.”

PHOTO: The remains of a fire damaged homes and cars at the Journeys End Mobile Home Park, Oct. 9, 2017 in Santa Rosa, Calif.
Justin Sullivan/Getty Images
The remains of a fire damaged homes and cars at the Journey's End Mobile Home Park, Oct. 9, 2017 in Santa Rosa, Calif.more +

Smoke and flames from fire at the Hilton Sonoma Wine Country hotel in Santa Rosa, Calif., Monday, Oct. 9, 2017. (AP Photo/Jeff Chiu)
The Associated Press
Smoke and flames from fire at the Hilton Sonoma Wine Country hotel in Santa Rosa, Calif., Monday, Oct. 9, 2017. (AP Photo/Jeff Chiu)more +

Patients at the Kaiser Permanente and Sutter Santa Rosa Regional hospitals in Santa Rosa were forced to evacuate early Monday as flames tore through surrounding neighborhoods.

Santa Rosa homeowner John Graves said he was mourning after most of his neighborhood was leveled.

“I’ve been here 25 years. It was a great neighborhood,” Graves told ABC’s San Francisco station KGO on Monday. “It’s gonna be a lot of work getting it back.”

PHOTO:
SLIDESHOW: Wildfires rage through California wine country

Kim Hoe, a 33-year-old tech worker visiting from Penang, Malaysia, said he was staying at the Hilton Sonoma Wine Country in Santa Rosa, which was destroyed by flames.

He said he and his colleagues began to pack up Monday morning when someone knocked on the hotel door and told them to run.

"We just had to run and run. It was full of smoke. We could barely breathe," Hoe told KGO.

ABC News' Quinn Owen contributed to this report.

+2
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/10/2017 6:51:29 PM
Jet3

Daesh command center obliterated by Russian airstrikes, 70 terrorists killed near Mayadin

© Ministry of Defence of the Russian Federation
Russian Su-34 fighter-bomber aircraft carries out a strike against Daesh forces in Syria.
The Russian Aerospace Forces have destroyed a Daesh command center in Syria's Deir ez-Zor province and killed some 34 terrorists who entered the country from Iraq's western regions, the Russian Defense Ministry said.

The Russian aircraft carried out 182 airstrikes against the positions of Daesh terrorists in Syria in the past 24 hours, the ministry said in a statement on Tuesday. A total of 70 Daesh terrorists, who were later identified as nationals of CIS states and Algeria, were eliminated in the Mayadin area, according to Russian Defense Ministry spokesman Maj. Gen. Igor Konashenkov.

The airstrikes were carried out after reconnaissance drones had discovered a large stronghold of Daesh terrorists on the eastern bank of the Euphrates river near the city of Mayadin. The terrorists had an artillery and tank projectiles depot, as well as a ramified network of underground tunnels there.

"A Daesh command post and three groups of terrorists who arrived in the area from the territory of Iraq as a reinforcement were destroyed. The elimination of 34 militants, the destruction of 5 SUVs with large-caliber weapons, as well as 2 vehicles with ammunition has been confirmed," Russian Konashenkov stated, commenting on airstrikes near the village of Hatla in the Deir ez-Zor province.
© South Front
Military Situation in Deir Ezzor Province, October 9, 2017. Mayadin is at the southeastern-most end of SAA control.
The spokesman went on by saying that a Russian Sukhoi Su-34 jet hit the same area 40 minutes later when Daesh militants arrived at the scene to evacuate wounded terrorists. As the result of that strike, more militants were eliminated.

Earlier in the day, Konashenkov said that the US forces had reduced its anti-Daesh operation in Iraq as the Syria army was conducting an operation to liberate the Deir ez-Zor province from terrorists. The spokesman stressed that foreign mercenaries from Iraq use armored vehicles and pickups with weapons to provide daily replenishment to Daesh troops in the Syrian city of Mayadin.

The city of Al Mayadin is the major Daesh stronghold in the neighboring province of Deir ez-Zor. Terrorists have used this hub to accumulate weapons and manpower to launch attacks on the cities of Palmyra and Deir ez-Zor.
It was reported earlier that the Syrian army was conducting an operation to encircle Daesh militants in Mayadin. Lately, Syrian forces have been on the offensive in the area around the city of Deir ez-Zor. Most militants have been pushed back several miles east and across the Euphrates. Daesh militants then started fleeing for Mayadin and further toward the northern outskirts of Deir ez-Zor.
(sott.net)

+2

facebook
Like us on Facebook!