Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: ARE WE NOW IN THE END TIMES?
8/17/2017 12:18:45 AM

Stranded Baby Dolphin Dies After Selfie-Obsessed Humans Surround It, Take Photos

August 16, 2017 at 4:46 pm

(ANTIMEDIA) Mojácar, Spain — The world’s obsession with snapping photos and selfies has claimed another life — this time a baby dolphin.

Last Friday, beachgoers and tourists in Mojácar, Spain, reportedly took turns touching a baby dolphin who was stranded on the shore, poking it and taking turns taking pictures of it and with it, according to Equinac, a nongovernmental organization that focuses on stranded turtle and cetacean life in the province of Almeria. As selfie-seekers crowded around the infant mammal, one concerned citizen called emergency services, but by the time Equinac rescuers arrived just 15 minutes later, the dolphin had already died.

As selfie-seekers crowded around the infant mammal, one concerned citizen called emergency services, but by the time rescuers arrived just 15 minutes later, the dolphin had already died.

The Independent noted that “[p]ictures emerged of bathers stroking the tiny mammal, young enough to still need breast-feeding, as it floated ‘frightened and weak’ in the shallows after being separated from its mother.” One picture appears to show a child inadvertently covering its blowhole.

The incident has drawn sharp condemnation from Equinac, which criticized the incident in a series of Facebook posts.

Various English-language news outlets translated some of their statements.

Once again we find that the human beings are the most irrational species that exists,” they reportedly wrote, according to the translation.

They discussed the details of what the dolphin endured, speculating that the stress it endured ultimately caused its death:

Cetaceans are animals very susceptible to stress and… crowding them to take pictures and touch them causes them a very strong shock that greatly accelerates a cardiorespiratory failure, which is what finally happened.”

The dolphin’s body will undergo an autopsy so the exact cause of death can be determined.

Addressing the humans involved, Equinac said:

Many are unable to feel empathy for a living being alone, scared, starving, without his mother and terrified because many of you, in your selfishness, only want to photograph and touch it, even if the animal suffers from stress.”

The group advised people to call emergency services in situations like these, also warning that touching or disturbing a protected species could be a criminal offense.

These animals are highly protected; to disturb them, to harm them, to manipulate them and to harass them is prohibited by law, and we always ask for respect and consideration,” they said.

This is not the first time humans’ fascination with animals and their desire to snap selfies with them has caused harm to marine life. Last year, beachgoers in Argentina killed a baby dolphin after passing it around to take pictures with it. Also last year, a sea turtle was dragged out of the ocean in Lebanon, and ultimately beaten as people seized photo opportunities. The turtle had to receive treatment for its injuries.

These animals are not alone. Humans are increasingly accidentally killing themselves in their pursuit of impressive shots. Death by selfie has become a new global phenomenon.

Creative Commons / Anti-Media

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+2
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/17/2017 10:14:25 AM

Charlottesville: Black protester Deandre Harris ‘beaten with metal poles’ by white supremacists

The 20-year-old was left bloodied with a broken wrist and needing eight staples for his wounds

Loulla-Mae Eleftheriou-Smith
| a day ago

Screenshot of Deandre Harris' crowdfunding campaign GoFundMe

More than $118,000 (£91,700) has been raised for an African American man who was brutally beaten by a group of white supremacists in a horrific attack in Charlottesville.

Shocking pictures and footage were captured of Deandre Harris being chased by a gang of white men before he was savagely beaten with what appear to be poles at the protests in Virginiathis weekend, leaving him needing hospital treatment.

The 20-year-old was left covered in blood with a broken wrist and needing eight staples for his head wounds when the attack happened in a parking garage near Charlottesville police station. Images of his bloodied face and the wounds he sustained have been shared on social media.

Crowfunding sites refuse to raise funds for white nationalists

Three people died and dozens were injured on Saturday after violence broke out at the Unite the Right rally being held by white supremacists and counter-protests being held by anti-fascists.

“They were beating me with poles. I have eight staples in my head, a broken wrist and a chipped tooth,” Mr Harris told The Root.“I think for them to be allowed to come here and protest is really crazy. How do you expect the KKK to come to your city to protest, and them not be violent?”

Mr Harris, who works as an instructional assistant for a local high school’s special education programme in Charlottesville, set up aGoFundMe page to help cover his medical costs.

“I was chased and beat with metal poles. I was knocked unconscious repeatedly. Every time I went to stand up I was knocked back down. If it was not for my friends that I came with I would have been beaten to a pulp,” he wrote on the page, claiming that no law enforcement stepped in to help in the attack.

“I was diagnosed with a concussion, an ulnar fracture, and had to receive eight staples in my head. I also have a laceration across my right eyebrow, abrasions on my knees & elbows, and a chipped tooth,” he wrote. “I’m so blessed to be alive to tell my story and show the world that racism is very much still alive”.

The crowdfunding page originally had a goal of $50,000 but has now raised over $118,800 (£92,400). Mr Harris wrote in a post that the amount of love he has received since the attack has been “overwhelming”.

(independent.co.uk)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+2
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/17/2017 11:24:34 AM

Charlottesville white supremacists 'terrified' of being exposed online

Neo-Nazis concerned after anti-fascist vigilantes name and shame them on social media

Hundreds of white nationalists, neo-Nazis and members of the alt-right marched during the "Unite the Right" rally in Charlottesville CHIP SOMODEVILLA/GETTY IMAGES

White supremacists involved in the Charlottesville violence are reportedly “terrified” about being publicly exposed, in case they lose their jobs or receive abuse online.

On Monday it emerged anti-fascist vigilantes were naming and shaming white supremacists on social media, after clashes between the two sides overwhelmed the city over the weekend.

“If you recognise any of the Nazis marching in Charlottesville, send me their names/profiles and I'll make them famous,” one Twitter user requested.

The rally was the largest congregation of white nationalist groups in over a decade and saw brawls between people holding KKK banners and confederate flags and groups of anti-fascist protesters.

Following the campaign, a man was fired from his job at a hot dog restaurant in Berkeley and another has allegedly been disowned by his family over his involvement in the violence.

The frequency with which people are having their details published online - known as ‘doxxing’ - is reportedly a major source of concern for the Charlottesville marchers.

Keegan Hankes, an analyst at South Poverty Law Centre’s Intelligence Project, said the neo-Nazi protesters were well aware it was “hard to make a living, hard to have a normal social life when all your friends and family know you believe in ethnic cleansing”.

“When you see those articles that say, 'We can come out of the shadows now and we don't have to hide our identities,' that's pure bluster,” he told Vice.

“That's them trying to embolden their supporters or bring more people into the fold who would otherwise be casual observers or just stay away, because they're afraid of the consequences of being involved. The truth is, they're terrified.”

Hundreds of photos of white supremacists appeared online in the wake of the violence. Most of the nationalists are known to use pseudonyms and masking techniques to conceal their identities online, but the photographs have made this problematic.

Donald Trump blames both sides for Charlottesville violence

One forum user, who identified himself as a white supremacist, conceded that the thought of being outed and losing his job was a “horrifying prospect”.

"The difference between Charlottesville and other public events is that the organisers were saying 'Do not come to this event without the expectation of being doxxed,'" Mr Hankes added.

"They had some inkling [that they could be outed] given the furore in the weeks leading up to the event, where you saw things ramp up between some of the anti-fascist groups and some of the alt-righters online."

Mr Hankes also confirmed that alt-right supporters had been known to doxx each other in the past. “It is a group of malignant contrarians so they’re constantly bickering with each other,” he said.

On Tuesday President Donald Trump defended his response to the racially-charged protests, attacking what he called the "alt-left" and saying blame should be shared by both sides.

More than 30 people were injured and a 32-year-old woman died when a car allegedly driven by a white nationalist ploughed into a crowd of counter-protesters.

(independent.co.uk)

+2
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/17/2017 3:45:03 PM

Who was responsible for the violence in Charlottesville? Here's what witnesses say

Warning: Graphic content. Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe declared a state of emergency as brawls between white nationalists and counter-protesters broke out in Charlottesville, Va., on Saturday

· Contact Reporter
Los Angeles Times.

AUGUST 16, 2017

The clashes that broke out over the weekend at a white nationalist rally in Charlottesville, Va., have become a new touchstone in the nation’s long-running debate over racism, free speech and violence.

One woman was killed and many more injured when a car, allegedly driven by a rally participant, sped into a crowd of anti-racism protesters. Two state troopers monitoring the action died in a helicopter crash later in the day, though no foul play was suspected.

The event quickly took on enormous political importance as Democrats and Republicans alike denounced the violence and the white supremacist views espoused at the far-right rally. President Trump has also denounced the racist groups, but he suggests that anti-racism counter-demonstrators share some of the blame. On Tuesday, he said “both sides” were responsible for the bloodshed.

What actually happened?

Here are several first-hand accounts of Saturday’s events in Charlottesville, collected from journalists, protesters and far-right ralliers who have published their accounts of what they saw that day.

Charlottesville Daily Progress photographer Ryan Kelly: “I hitched a ride with my editor downtown, and I started wandering the mall. There were groups on both sides scattered. There were a few small fights that broke out from time to time. People were throwing stuff at each other. A few people were beating on each other.”

BuzzFeed News reporter Blake Montgomery: “Most white supremacist and Nazi groups arrived armed like a paramilitary force — carrying shields, protective gear, rods and, yes, lots of guns, utilizing Virginia’s loose firearm laws. They used militarized defensive maneuvers, shouting commands at one another to ‘move forward’ or ‘retreat,’ and would form a line of shields or a phalanx — it’s like they watched ‘300 a few times — to gain ground or shepherd someone through projectiles. It seemed that they had practiced for this.”

Hunter Wallace, a far-right blogger at Occidental Dissent: “The streets were not barricaded. Violent antifa [anti-fascists] were not penned in their own area as per our agreement with the Charlottesville Police Department, but were roaming the streets and blocking the entrance to Lee Park. They immediately launched an attack on our group with mace, pepper spray, bricks, sticks and foul liquids. The police stood idly by on the sidelines while a brawl was allowed to ensue. We had to fight our way into Lee Park and dozens of our people were injured by mace and pepper spray as we marched through the gauntlet.”

“Marcus Cicero,” another far-right blogger at Occidental Dissent: “Now, to begin Saturday’s rally, the League of the South assembled at an area only a few blocks from Lee Park – I myself was one of the shield men. As we advanced down the street toward the park, I immediately noticed a horde of Antifa, BLM terrorists, and other assorted genetic refuse ready and willing to block the street leading up to our destination.”

Matt Parrott of Traditionalist Youth Network, a white supremacist group: “With a full-throated rebel yell, the League broke through the wall of degenerates and TradWorker managed to enter the Lee Park venue itself while they were largely still reeling. Michael Tubbs, an especially imposing League organizer towered over and pushed through the antifa like a Tyrannosaurus among raptors as league fighters with shields put their training to work.”

Washington Post reporter Joe Heim: “Counter-protesters fought back, also swinging sticks, punching and spraying chemicals. Others threw balloons filled with paint or ink at the white nationalists. Everywhere, it seemed violence was exploding. The police did not move to break up the fights.”

Unicorn Riot, a left-leaning news outlet that covers protests around the nation:

Washington Post reporter Joe Heim: “Although Virginia State Police and Charlottesville police were stationed along the sides and the rear of Emancipation Park, the Market Street side was unattended. As it filled with rally-goers and counter-protesters, the mix quickly became volatile. The two sides screamed at each other. ‘[Expletive] … Nazis!’ the counter-protesters chanted. ‘[More expletives]’ was the response from the park where the rally-goers stood behind metal barricades.”

Jordan Green in the Nation, a leftist publication: “A phalanx of black-helmeted white supremacists — members of the Traditionalist Workers Party, Identity Evropa, American Vanguard, and other hate warriors — commanded the steps at the southeast corner of the park, repelling attempted incursions by Wobblies, communists, and a multiracial cast of irregulars eager to fight back. Water bottles and other projectiles flew in both directions, while police tear-gas canisters thudded into an adjacent parking lot, oftentimes lobbed back into the park by plucky leftists.”

Unicorn Riot: “Police then pushed the white supremacists out of Emancipation Park, and closed the park.... Unable to continue rallying in the park, the white supremacists took to the streets, where they were quickly followed and confronted by anti-racists. Several more extremely violent fights took place, with police looking on from their nearby substation.”

BuzzFeed News reporter Blake Montgomery: “The opposition was largely winging it, preferring to establish bases in other parks with water, coffee, food, first aid and comfort. Conflict would start much the same as it has at other alt-right rallies: two people, one from each side, screaming, goading each other into throwing the first punch.”

Redneck Revolt, an armed leftist group that brought rifles to Justice Park, one of the spots where anti-racist groups had gathered: “At many points during the day, groups of white supremacists approached Justice Park, but at each instance, Redneck Revolt members formed a unified skirmish line against them, and the white supremacists backed down. Most of the groups were not easily identified, but at separate points, contingents from Identity Evropa and the Proud Boys were recognized. The groups that threatened the park yelled racial and homophobic slurs.”

University of Virginia student Isabella Ciambotti: “I was on Market Street around 11:30 a.m. when a counter-protester ripped a newspaper stand off the sidewalk and threw it at alt-right protesters. I saw another man from the white supremacist crowd being chased and beaten. People were hitting him with their signs. A much older man, also with the alt-right group, got pushed to the ground in the commotion. Someone raised a stick over his head and beat the man with it, and that’s when I screamed and ran over with several other strangers to help him to his feet.”

Leftist anti-fascist organizers from Washington, D.C.: “Before the attack occurred, we chased the Nazis out of their park, removing their platform. They were on the move toward a community with many people of color. We mobilized to intercept. We were at our most powerful, all of us together chanting with enthusiastic support from the people of Charlottesville. That was the moment that we were attacked.”

Los Angeles Times account of the car attack by special correspondent Robert Armengol in Charlottesville: By early afternoon, hundreds of counter-protesters had amassed two blocks south of Emancipation Park, in downtown Charlottesville. They began marching down the middle of Water Street, near the city’s pedestrian mall. The white nationalists, for the time being, seemed to have dispersed. Some of the armed militia members had just driven away in vans and pickup trucks.

The crowd was jubilant. Demonstrators waved flags calling for solidarity and they chanted anti-racist slogans, declaring, “Whose streets? Our streets!” and “Black lives matter!” They hooted, played on drums and blew horns. One man dressed in a clown suit with rainbow-colored suspenders held aloft a poster that read, simply, “SHAME.”

A police helicopter flew overhead in the clear sky. It was about 2 p.m.

At East Fourth Street, the crowd veered left and headed back toward the Main Street mall, up a slight incline on a narrow one-lane road, flanked on either side by commercial buildings. The front of the march had advanced less than half a block before a gray sports car appeared, moving south toward the demonstrators.

The car and its driver, hidden behind tinted windows, advanced slowly at first. [Police have since identified the driver as James A. Fields, 20, of Ohio, who was previously seen marching with Vanguard America, a fascist group.] Then, just a few feet in front of protesters, the vehicle accelerated suddenly, plowing into at least a dozen people in a gut-wrenching crash, sending bodies, shoes and personal belongings flying through the air.

Victims cried out in pain while onlookers howled in shock and ran from the scene, yelling for medical help. “Oh my God,” someone screamed. “He mowed down everybody.”

Within seconds, the sports car, its front-end mangled, changed course and screeched backward up the street, disappearing around a corner at the next block up as a bystander yelled, “Get off the street! Get off the street!”

Charlottesville Daily Progress photographer Ryan Kelly: “If that car had come through 20 seconds earlier, I would have been in the middle of the road, and I would have had my back to him. I wouldn’t have seen him coming at all. Honestly, I’m still processing that. It’s been such a crazy 24 hours that I haven’t been able to sit and absorb it. That was the first thing that went through my head a couple hours after I was done processing images. I was right where the car went, and I am very fortunate.”

Email: matt.pearce@latimes.com

Follow me on Twitter: @mattdpearce

Copyright © 2017,
Chicago Tribune

+2
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/17/2017 4:16:31 PM

Israel builds underground wall after Gaza tunnel trauma

FILE — In this Sept. 8, 2016 file photo, heavy machinery works on a massive underground barrier, that is expected to stretch along the entire 60-kilometer (40-mile) border when it is complete, on the Israeli side of the border with Gaza. Israel is pressing ahead with the barrier in an ambitious project meant to halt the threat of attack tunnels built by the Hamas militant group. (AP Photo/Tsafrir Abayov, File)

The Associated Press

KIBBUTZ NIRIM, Israel (AP) — Israel is pressing ahead with construction of an underground barrier along the border with the Gaza Strip in an ambitious project meant to halt the threat of attack tunnels built by the Hamas militant group.

Cranes and work crews are digging holes and installing sensors and other equipment for a structure that is expected to stretch along the entire 60-kilometer (40-mile) border when it is complete.

Gadi Yarkoni, head of the local Eshkol regional council, said the project is a key reason that the area has enjoyed a surge in growth and attracted young families since a devastating war with Hamas three years ago.

“I believe building the barrier is the right thing to do, to build in order to stop and to give an answer to the issue of the tunnels, and to the issue of the communities in the area,” he said.
“The surge in development in this area is unbelievable.”

During the 2014 war, Hamas militants on several occasions made their way into Israel through a tunnel network that caught Israel off guard. Although they did not manage to reach civilian areas, the infiltrations terrified the local population. Israel destroyed 32 tunnels during that conflict, and since then has made neutralizing the tunnel threat a top priority.

Israeli defense officials have said little about the new barrier project or how much has been completed. At one construction zone, a sign said “military zone – no passage,” and Associated Press reporters could not approach as cranes and bulldozers were at work.

Last week, Maj. Gen. Eyal Zamir, head of Israel’s Southern Command, which is responsible for Gaza, told reporters the project would take about two years to complete.

He said the barrier would stretch several meters (yards) above and below ground and be equipped with sophisticated sensors. It’s being built entirely on the Israeli side of the border, to avoid friction with Hamas.

Atai Shelach, a retired colonel and former commander of the Israeli military’s “Yahalom” unit in charge of dismantling the militants’ tunnels, said the new barrier would be a game-changer, but would not solve the problem on its own.

“It is part of a cocktail, or a combination of many other solutions,” he said. Neutralizing the tunnel threat will also require good intelligence and operational decisions by the army, he said. Otherwise, militants will eventually figure out how to get through.

“That barrier can prevent war,” he said, because it will be harder for Hamas and other militant groups to “create surprises” that frighten Israeli residents.

Israel and Hamas have fought three wars since the Islamic militant group seized control of Gaza from Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas in 2007.

While Hamas has largely respected a cease-fire that ended the last round of fighting in 2014, it is believed to be building new tunnels and re-arming in preparation for future conflict.

Hamas seeks Israel’s destruction.

“All the measures by the occupation on the border will not provide security for them,” said Hazem Qasem, a spokesman for the group. “As long as they occupy the Palestinian land and put a siege on our people in the Gaza Strip, the resistance will continue to possess all the means of force that enable it to defend the people against Israeli aggression,” he said.

Israeli residents expressed mixed feelings about the new structure.

Miriam Diener, a resident of Kibbutz Nirim, a communal farm near the Gaza border, said Israel must seek peace with its neighbors, and not just build new barriers.

“No fence will solve the problems,” she said. “Only peace will bring the possibility of a good economy, good education, good hospitals, good health. That is what is needed.”

But Shimon Avraham, another kibbutz resident, said the project will put people at ease after the terrifying experience of tunnel attacks.

“Now it makes things feel calmer,” he said.

___

Associated Press writer Ilan Ben Zion in Jerusalem contributed to this report.

(seattletimes.com)

+2

facebook
Like us on Facebook!