Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: ARE WE NOW IN THE END TIMES?
5/28/2015 10:56:34 AM

US military pilots complain hands tied in ‘frustrating’ fight against ISIS

Discontent among US pilots carrying out air war against ISIS

Watch video

U.S. military pilots carrying out the air war against the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria are voicing growing discontent over what they say are heavy-handed rules of engagement hindering them from striking targets.

They blame a bureaucracy that does not allow for quick decision-making. One Navy F-18 pilot who has flown missions against ISIS voiced his frustration to Fox News, saying: "There were times I had groups of ISIS fighters in my sights, but couldn't get clearance to engage.”

He added, “They probably killed innocent people and spread evil because of my inability to kill them. It was frustrating."

Sources close to the air war against ISIS told Fox News that strike missions take, on average, just under an hour, from a pilot requesting permission to strike an ISIS target to a weapon leaving the wing.

A spokesman for the U.S. Air Force’s Central Command pushed back: “We refute the idea that close air support strikes take 'an hour on average'. Depending on the how complex the target environment is, a strike could take place in less than 10 minutes or it could take much longer.

"As our leaders have said, this is a long-term fight, and we will not alienate civilians, the Iraqi government or our coalition partners by striking targets indiscriminately."

A former U.S. Air Force general who led air campaigns over Iraq and Afghanistan also said today's pilots are being "micromanaged," and the process for ordering strikes is slow -- squandering valuable minutes and making it possible for the enemy to escape.

“You're talking about hours in some cases, which by that time the particular tactical target left the area and or the aircraft has run out of fuel. These are excessive procedures that are handing our adversary an advantage,” said retired Lt. Gen. David Deptula, a former director of the Combined Air Operations Center in Afghanistan in 2001.

Deptula also contrasted the current air campaign against ISIS with past air campaigns.

The U.S.-led airstrikes over Iraq during the first Gulf War averaged 1,125 strike sorties per day, according to Deptula. He said the Kosovo campaign averaged 135 strikes per day. In 2003, the famous “shock and awe” campaign over Iraq saw 800 strikes per day.

According to the U.S.-led coalition to defeat ISIS, U.S. military aircraft carry out 80 percent of the strikes against ISIS and average 14 per day.

Deptula blames the White House for the bottleneck.

“The ultimate guidance rests in 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue,” he said. “We have been applying air power like a rain shower or a drizzle -- for it to be effective, it needs to be applied like a thunderstorm.”

Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., recently complained that 75 percent of pilots are returning without dropping any ordnance, due to delays in decision-making up the chain of command.

A senior defense official at the Pentagon pushed back on the comparisons between the air war against ISIS and past air campaigns.

“The Gulf War and Kosovo are not reasonable comparisons. In those instances, we were fighting conventional forces. Today, we are supporting a fight against terrorists who blend into the civilian population,” he said. “Our threshold for civilian casualties and collateral damage is low. We don’t want to own this fight. We have reliable partners on the ground.”

McCain, speaking on CBS’ “Face the Nation” on Sunday, also called for “forward air controllers,” as well as special forces and “more of those kind of raids that were so successful into Syria.”

Another former U.S. Air Force general agreed. “We need to get somebody to find the targets and [U.S.] airpower will blow them up ... period,” said retired Gen. Charles F. Wald, former deputy commander of United States European Command

In a letter to Secretary of Defense Ash Carter Wednesday, Rep. Duncan Hunter asked the secretary to consider arming the Sunnis tribes in Anbar directly in order to defeat ISIS. Like McCain, Hunter also wants to “immediately embed special operators and ground-air controllers to support ground operations against IS[IS].”

But a defense official pushed back on Hunter’s plan to bypass Baghdad and arm the Sunni tribes directly, telling Fox News, “[the plan] doesn’t take into account the presence of Iran inside Iraq right now… there could be unintended consequences and restore a sectarian war.”

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/28/2015 11:07:53 AM

Three-sport star dies in Texas flooding

The community of Devine, Texas, is mourning the loss of one of its brightest stars. Alyssa Ramirez, a volleyball and tennis player, cheerleader, student council president, and recent homecoming queen, died early Sunday morning, one of at least nine victims of massive flooding through Texas and Oklahoma.

Alyssa Ramirez passed away after car swept away by flood water. Friends say she was always smiling.

Ramirez, 18, had attended the Devine High School senior prom on Saturday night. She was driving home from post-prom festivities when floodwaters caused her car to stall about two miles from home, according to San Antonio Express News.

“She did the right things,” Ramirez’s aunt, Roberta Ramirez, told local station WOAI. “She called 911. She called her father, but it was just too much and too quick."

Her family searched for her from 2:45 a.m. until around dawn, an uncle said. Her car had been swept away and was discovered at 6 a.m. Sunday.

Devine Superintendent Linda McAnelly told the Washington Post that Alyssa was, “Vivacious. Happy. Beautiful, in and out. She had a strong faith in God, just great ethics. Great young person. [A] super, super young lady.”

Funeral services for Alyssa are being held Wednesday. Friends and family gathered at the school football field to remember a life cut far too short.

“She was very friendly to all who crossed her path, loved her family, her friends and the town of Devine,” an obituary reads. “She had aspirations of being an Optometrist. She will be sorely missed by all.”

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/28/2015 4:32:27 PM

WND EXCLUSIVE

'WE'RE COMING CLOSE TO END OF HUMAN HISTORY'

Billy Graham's daughter: 'World is unraveling'

Published: 19 hours ago

by
BOB UNRUH

Anne Graham Lotz

Christian evangelist Anne Graham Lotz, the sister of Samaritan’s Purse President Franklin Graham and the daughter of evangelist Billy Graham, has told a left-leaning radio program that the world is “coming close to the end of human history as we know it.”

“Our world is unraveling,” she told Alan Colmes on his Fox News Radio program. “I think the whole world senses, especially those who follow the news, senses that something is happening that is very unsettling.”

Colmes had asked Lotz, the author of nearly a dozen books and the president of AnGeL Ministries, whether she believed “we are at the end times now.”

“I believe that it is, Alan, and I base that not just on feelings; I base it on what Jesus said in the New Testament and then what I see going on in the world at the same time – and they match,” she said. “And so I put that together and I believe we’re coming close to the end of human history as we know it.”

Lotz said that with the end times, “comes accountability before God, which we would call a judgment.”

What do YOU think? How long will it be before Jesus returns to Earth? Sound off in today’s WND poll!

But Christians, she said, “who reach out to God in prayer either can delay the judgment, soften the judgment, or Joel chapter 2 in the Old Testament says that God would, instead of judgment, he would leave behind a blessing if – if people would cry out to him and pray and turn from their sins. So this is really a message to the church.”

The familiar text is God’s message that “if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.”

Hear the interview:

Lotz explained she based her assessment on the New Testament promises that the generation that sees the rebirth of Israel and the preaching of the Gospel to the entire world is in the end times.

Israel was reborn in 1948, and airplane travel and the Internet have accelerated dissemination of the Gospel worldwide.

“Did you get this from God?” Colmes asked.

“I get it from Scripture,” Lotz said.

She explained her understanding is that God’s judgment is not necessarily like a lightning strike or a nuclear bomb. It can simply be God backing away from protecting a nation.

“We keep telling Him to get out,” she said, citing court rulings regarding schools, the military and other issues. “Everywhere they’re telling Him to get out. They don’t want His name in the Pledge of Allegiance; they don’t want Him in the schools; they don’t want to say the name of His Son, Jesus, in public settings; they don’t even allow chaplains now in the military to pray in the name of Jesus.”

And when God backs away, she said, “It begins to collapse.”

“God is a gentleman. He doesn’t go where He’s not wanted. He gradually begins to walk away, and that’s what He told Israel in Deuteronomy 28. He said, I’m going to bless you if you turn to me, but if you turn against me, I’ll just back away. Then He allows us to be subjected to the things He’s been protecting us from.”

Colmes asked if in the rapture, people would meet God in the air and whether he would be able to see people rising.

Lotz cited the Bible’s explanation that it would happen in the twinkling of an eye.

“You won’t see us,” she told Colmes. “We’ll disappear.”

When Colmes stated that “separation of church and state” was established in the nation from its beginning, Lotz corrected him.

“There’s a separation of church and state, Alan, but that’s not a separation of state and God. Our Founding Fathers believed in God, and they honored God, and they respected God, and until the 1900s the Bible was a textbook in schools. And so when you begin to remove God, and you know we have been, He backs away.”

WND reported a few weeks ago President Obama was making jokes about end-times beliefs.

Watch video

Former Rep. Michele Bachmann, a four-term Republican from Minnesota, had criticized Obama for his support of a framework agreement with Iran that she said would lead to war and bring judgment on America.

Obama took her to task in a half-joking, mocking tone.

“Michele Bachmann actually predicted I would bring about the biblical end of days,” Obama said. “Now that’s a legacy. That’s big. I mean Lincoln, Washington, they didn’t do that.”

Bachmann made the comments in a recent interview with Jan Markell of Olive Tree Ministries on her show, “Understanding the End Times.”

Bachmann was unfazed by Obama’s snarky comeback.

“The Bible is filled with exciting information about living life today and in the future, both in this life and in the life to come,” Bachmann told WND. “Any message that brings people closer to God’s wonderful plans for our lives is a good thing.

“God’s word is true and brings freedom and wholeness to all who read it and believe in Him.”

Lotz’s brother, Franklin Graham, also said recently that the nation could be in the end times, pointing to Obama and Attorney General Eric Holder.

“One of the greatest threats to America is the progressives (a new name for liberals) led by President Obama and his Attorney General Eric Holder who are trying to impose a new morality – which is really no morality at all – jamming it down the throats of the American people,” he said, the Christian Post reported.

Graham said America has been “blessed by God” unlike any other country in the world but faces serious threats of degradation and destruction, mostly from within.

“When our country was birthed, its foundations and laws were based on biblical laws and principles,” he said, writing on his personal Facebook page. “We used to be ‘one nation under God.’ Now we’re a nation that has turned its back on God. History shows that when nations do this, their end is near.”

Graham has spoken on previous occasions about the failures of the present political leadership to guide this country in accordance with God’s will and warned of the consequences. Just a few weeks ago, he warned of the potential for terrorists to hit hard on America’s soil, largely because of an anti-Christian, pro-Islam vein coursing through Capitol Hill and the White House.

Then, he said, in a “Fox and Friends Weekend” interview: “I believe we’re going to see persecution in this country. We’ve already seen many laws that have been passed that restrict our freedom as Christians. I believe it’s going to get worse, and we see no question gaining influence in Washington by those that represent the Islamic faith. We do have a problem in this country and we are losing our religious freedom and we’re losing it a little bit day by day.”

apocalypse

Graham also remarked how Obama “defends Islam and chastises Christians, rebukes our allies and befriends our enemies and fully supports gay marriage and abortion but denies the religious freedoms of those who don’t agree,” the Christian Post reported.

Bestselling author Joel Richardson now has created a movie documentary, “End Times Eyewitness: Israel, Islam and the unfolding signs of the Messiah’s Return,” that shows how the region, since the Arab Spring, has been aligning with biblical prophecy. Richardson calls attention to the apparent fulfillment of several prophetic signs that suggest Jesus Christ may soon return.

“We trust that being selected for the festival will help to further get the message out and spark a growing passion for evangelism, missions, holiness and a deeper longing for the return of Jesus, our blessed hope,” Richardson said. “For this, we are truly grateful to the selection committee, and we are excited to see what the future holds, not only for this film, but many forthcoming projects as well.”

Richardson, the New York Times bestselling author of “The Islamic Antichrist” and expert on biblical prophecy, interviewed global Christian leaders, pastors, theologians and missionaries for the film. He also featured testimonies from some of the most prominent Islamic scholars in the world and leading Jewish thinkers, including:

• Rabbi Yehuda Glick, the Temple activist recently shot in an assassination attempt;
  • Adnan Oktar, the bestselling author in the Muslim world and host of a major TV show in Turkey, who is promoting the rebuilding of the Temple in Jerusalem, stating the Muslim messianic “Mahdi” figure is alive and well on planet Earth and that he is in communication with angels about his imminent appearance to the world;
  • Sheik Ekrima Said Sabri, the son of the late and notorious grand mufti of Jerusalem, who explains the Islamic eschatological belief that Jesus will return to lead a caliphate and require Christians to convert to Islam.

See a trailer:

Read more at http://www.wnd.com/2015/05/were-coming-close-to-end-of-human-history/#YOtYvLfIKGxXDpF0.99

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/28/2015 4:55:57 PM

Once 'Father' and 'Son,' Now a Married Couple

Rachel Bertsche

Norman MacArthur, left, and Bill Novak were married on Sunday after spending more than a decade as father and son. (Photo: Matt slocum/AP Photo)

A couple who were legally father and son for the last fifteen yearshad their adoption vacated and were married this week after 52 years together.

Norman MacArthur, 74, and Bill Novak, 76, were married in Pennsylvania on Sunday. The couple, who has been together since their 20s, registered as domestic partners in New York City in 1994, but in 2000 they moved to Erwinna, Penn., where domestic partnerships are not legally recognized. “When we moved to Pennsylvania, we had both retired and we were of the age where one begins to do estate planning,” MacArthur tells Yahoo Parenting. “We went to a lawyer who told us Pennsylvania was never going to allow same-sex marriage, so the only legal avenue we had in order to be afforded any rights was adoption.”

STORY: Gay Dads Speak Out About New Ad Campaign

MacArthur says he thought the suggestion was strange at first. “It struck me as fairly unusual, but we looked into it and discovered that other couples had done it. [Without the adoption] we would be legally strangers.” An adoption would grant the couple certain legal rights they felt compelled to secure. “Most importantly, it would allow us visitation rights in a hospital, and gaining of knowledge if one of us was in the hospital,” he says. “With new HIPAA privacy laws, hospitals are very constrained in what they can say to other people. If we were legally related, I would be allowed into the ER and entitled to know what Bill’s condition was if anything should happen.”

Bill Novak, left, adopted Norman MacArthur in 2000 in order to secure legal rights. Today, the two are married. (Photo: Matt slocum/AP Photo)

So in 2000, the two went through with a legal adoption. Since both men’s parents were dead, the adoption proceeding was fairly easy. “It wasn’t as though I was replacing one parent with another,” MacArthur says. “I was the son and Bill was the father. Bill is two years older than I am, so that was the only reason.”

STORY: Mom’s Funeral Halted by Pastor Over Affectionate Photos of Two Wives

Hayley Gorenberg, deputy legal director at Lambda Legal, says that while adoptions like these aren’t common, they aren’t unheard of, either. “It reflects people’s deep need to protect each other as family, and the attempt to use law that obviously isn’t a perfect fit to their situation to protect each other,” she tells Yahoo Parenting. “While we’ve had a patchwork nation and people have been desperate to take care of each other in some basic way legally, people have sometimes gotten creative to do what they need to do to protect each other as a family. It’s entirely understandable.”

But when Pennsylvania’s marriage laws, which prohibited same-sex marriage, were declared unconstitutional last year, MacArthur and Novak wanted to marry. “As marriage equality, which we’ve fought so hard for, is becoming more available, it makes sense that people would pursue the legal option that more closely explains who they are to each other,” Gorenberg says. “Marriage is the better fit, and if it was available without discrimination, it is what they would have chosen originally.”

The couple’s original lawyer told them that no court would dissolve an adoption unless another person adopted MacArthur. “I said, ‘that makes no sense to me,’ so we began to look around for other options,” he says. Terry Clemons, a lawyer MacArthur knew through volunteer work on the township’s land preservation movement, suggested that the courts might look favorably on a petition to vacate an adoption if it was made clear that the only reason for the original adoption was to give a legal underpinning to the relationship.

The couple went to court on May 14 in hopes the judge would sign the petition to vacate their adoption so they could get legally married. “When we went to court my knees were knocking, but at the end of the hearing Terry said, ‘we’re hoping you will sign the order to vacate the adoption from the bench,’ and the judge said ‘I will happily do that,’” MacArthur says. “We had 30 friends in court to show that this case was out of the ordinary — though the judge knew that — and when the judge signed the order our friends burst into applause and I burst into tears.”

The case is the first time in Pennsylvania that an adoption between a same-sex couple has been vacated in order to allow the couple to marry, according to a statement from Clemons.

Ten days later, the two went from father and son to married couple. “We wanted to get the marriage done fairly quickly after the court vacated the adoption,” MacArthur says. “At that point we didn’t have any legal protection so we wanted to get it taken care of.”

The wedding was a small private ceremony conducted by an old friend of the couple’s who is an Episcopalian priest. “I feel incredibly happy. It’s the only way I can describe it – just enormously happy,” MacArthur says. “It was very much worth the wait.”

Please follow @YahooParenting on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest. Have an interesting story to share about your family? Email us at YParenting (at) Yahoo.com.

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/28/2015 5:40:44 PM

U.S. military mistakenly ships live anthrax to labs in nine states

Reuters

The Centers for Disease Control sign is seen at its main facility in Atlanta, Georgia June 20, 2014. REUTERS/Tami Chappell

By Phil Stewart and Sharon Begley

WASHINGTON/NEW YORK (Reuters) - The U.S. military mistakenly sent live anthrax bacteria to laboratories in nine U.S. states and a U.S. air base in South Korea, after apparently failing to properly inactivate the bacteria last year, U.S. officials said on Wednesday.

The Pentagon said there was no known suspected infection or risk to the public. But four U.S. civilians have been started on preventive measures called post-exposure prophylaxis, which usually includes the anthrax vaccine, antibiotics or both.

Twenty-two personnel at the base in South Korea were also given precautionary medical measures although none have shown sign of exposure, the U.S. military said.

The four in the United States face "minimal" risk, said Jason McDonald, a spokesman for the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), which has begun an investigation of the incident. They had been "doing procedures that sent the agent into the air," he said.

When anthrax becomes airborne, it can cause a deadly illness called inhalation anthrax. That occurred in 2001, when anthrax sent through the U.S. mail to government and media targets killed five people.

The anthrax, which was initially sent from a Utah military lab, was meant to be shipped in an inactive state as part of efforts to develop a field-based test to identify biological threats, the Pentagon said.

"Out of an abundance of caution, (the Defense Department) has stopped the shipment of this material from its labs pending completion of the investigation," said Pentagon spokesman Colonel Steve Warren.

The CDC said it has launched an investigation of the mishap.

All samples involved in the investigation will be securely transferred to the CDC or affiliated labs for further testing, spokeswoman Kathy Harden said, adding that CDC has sent officials to the labs "to conduct on-site investigations."

The mishap comes 11 months after the CDC, one of the government's top civilian labs, similarly mishandled anthrax.

Researchers at a lab designed to handle extremely dangerous pathogens sent what they believed were killed samples of anthrax to another CDC lab, one with fewer safeguards and therefore not authorized to work with live anthrax.

Scores of CDC employees could have been exposed to the live anthrax, but none became ill.

That incident and a similar one last spring, in which CDC scientists shipped what they thought was a benign form of bird flu but which was actually a highly virulent strain, led U.S. lawmakers to fault a "dangerous pattern" of safety lapses at government labs.

ANTHRAX SENT TO GOVERNMENT AND PRIVATE FACILITIES

In the latest case, the Army's Dugway Proving Ground in Utah reported in March 2014 that gamma irradiation had inactivated the anthrax stock in question, and along with another Army facility, began shipments that continued through April 2015, a U.S. official said.

The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the suspected live anthrax samples were sent to U.S. federal, private and academic facilities.

The anthrax was sent to laboratories in Maryland, Texas, Wisconsin, Delaware, New Jersey, Tennessee, New York, California and Virginia, officials said.

The Maryland laboratory alerted the CDC late on Friday that it had a live sample and by midday on Saturday, the laboratories were notified, the U.S. official said.

The four civilians receiving post-exposure prophylaxis are in Delaware, Texas and Wisconsin. "Workers who were not in the same area at the same time are not at risk," the CDC's McDonald said.

The sample sent to South Korea was subsequently destroyed, the Pentagon and the U.S. military there said.

A U.S. emergency team responded to destroy the sample on Wednesday at the U.S. base after what was expected to be an inactive training sample was thought to be live bacteria, the U.S. military in South Korea said.

Precautionary medical measures were given to 22 personnel who may have been exposed during the training at the base about 35 km (20 miles) south of Seoul and none of them have shown any sign of exposure, it said.

Experts in biosafety were astonished by the lapse.

"These events shouldn't happen," said Stephen Morse of Columbia University, a former program manager for biodefense at the Pentagon's Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency.

Scientists working with the most dangerous pathogens follow a "two-person rule," never handling samples alone. The second pair of eyes is meant to insure scientists take proper precautions during experiments.

Two people should also vet shipments of supposedly killed anthrax. "We can put greater safeguards in place," Morse said.

(Additional reporting by Lisa Lambert in Washington and James Pearson in Seoul; Editing by Sandra Maler, Eric Beech, Andrew Hay and Leslie Adler)

Military mistakenly ships live anthrax samples

Up to nine labs across the country inadvertently received live spores instead of inactivated samples, says the Pentagon.
'No known risk'

+1

facebook
Like us on Facebook!