Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Donna Zuehl

2077 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Granny Smith Apple Pie
7/29/2010 4:39:24 AM

Granny Smith Apple Pie

Ingredients:

6 Granny Smith apples, cored, peeled and cut into slices

1 Tablespoon lemon juice

1/2 cup sugar

2/3 cup brown sugar

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon ground nutmet

1 9inch deep dish piecrust

1 regular 9inch piecrust to use as a top crust

Instructions:

Combine apples and lemon juice in a bowl and toss together. Combine sugars, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg and sprinkle over apples, stir to coat. Place apples in the deep dish piecrust. Top with remaining piecrust and crimp along the edges. Sprinkle with sugar and cut several slits in the crust to vent. Bake at 425 for 20 minutes, then reduce heat to 350 for 30 minutes.

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Granny Smith Apple Pie
7/29/2010 2:34:26 PM

Hi Donna,

Now you're talking my Friend. You've got my mouth started watering. That Apple Pie sounds absolutely yummy.

Our good buddy Myrna had reminded me of our Friend Luella May, while I was visiting over at Luella's daughter Veronica's Forum yesterday, and I remembered an Apple & Sweet Potato recipe that I used to love, which I had shared at one of Luella's Forums several years ago.

Hope you all will like it as well...

Baked Sweet Potatoes & Apples

3 large sweet potatoes, scrubbed
2-3 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 large apples, peeled, cored and sliced in 1/3-inch slices
1 teaspoon rubbed sage
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
1 tablespoon pure Maple Syrup* (See Note below)

Cook potatoes in medium saucepan in boiling water until slightly tender, about 20 minutes. Remove from pan, drain and rinse with cold water to stop cooking. Peel and slice into 1/3-inch slices. Heat 2-3 tbs butter in large fry pan over medium-high heat.

Fry apple slices in batches until lightly browned on each side. Remove from pan and set aside.

Layer potatoes and apples alternately in a buttered or sprayed 8x8-inch baking dish, starting with an apple layer and ending with sweet potatoes. The layers are best if angled so that no layer is completely covered. Sprinkle with the sage, cinnamon, salt, pepper, melted butter and maple syrup. Place in preheated 350° F oven and bake for 30 minutes or until hot, bubbly and slightly browned on top. Serve immediately

*Note - I use only real Vermont Pure Maple syrup, which I buy locally at the local Cracker Barrel Restaurant & Country Store. It's also available online at Cracker Barrel Old Country Store .

Hope Your Week's Going Terrific,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/30/2010 3:13:12 PM
Well if it isn't my 2 favorite recipe folks. They both sound good. My problem is I just like to eat. I have been eating better now so not too much baking any more. I feel better too.
Phil,
I love cracker barrel apples, they are so yummy. Do you have that recipe?

Donna, I just happen to have this rose handy, I thought you might like it.

LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/30/2010 6:10:11 PM

Hi Donna & Myrna,

Well Myrna, as you can imagine growing up in the South, I grew up eating fried apples, and then as an Adult, I discovered Cracker Barrel and their fried apples. This is as close as I have ever seen to those I get from Cracker Barrel. Actually, this recipe says that you can freeze the cooked apples, however, I've never done this, since there is never any left.

"Cracker Barrel" Fried Apples

Ingredients

• 2 cups apple juice
  • 1/2 cup apple juice
  • 4 large golden delicious apples with peel,cut 1/2 inch wedges
  • 3 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1 teaspoon apple pie spice
  • 4 tablespoons sugar

Directions

In a medium skillet, combine the 2 cups apple juice and sliced apples.

Simmer gently until apples are fork tender but not mushy, turning apples frequently.

Remove apples from juice using a slotted spoon and place in an oven safe dish.

In a blender, combine the remaining 1/2 cup apple juice, cornstarch, apple pie spice and sugar.

Blend a few seconds until smooth.

Whisk mixture into hot apple juice in skillet and cook, stirring constantly on medium high heat until it bubbles and becomes thickened and smooth. Pour thickened mixture over apples and serve.

Then, I have a friend who used to cook over at the Cracker Barrel over in Lexington, NC, and he swears that thier secret ingredient is Bacon Grease, so here's his recipe as well...

1/4 cup bacon drippings
6 tart apples - cored, sliced
1 tsp. lemon juice
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/8 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 dash ground nutmeg

In a large skillet, melt bacon drippings.Place apples evenly over skillet bottom.
Sprinkle lemon juice over them, then brown sugar, then salt.
Cover and cook over low heat for 15 minutes until apples are tender.

Sprinkle with cinnamon and nutmeg.

Personally, I liked them better without the Bacon Drippings, but that's just my opinion, so feel free to try both and please let me know which one you like.

Have A Happy Weekend My Friends,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/30/2010 6:31:12 PM
Hi Donna and Phil,

I knew I could depend on you for those fried apples, Phil.
I don't know why I didn't ask before, I enjoy them so much, and I like to make my own.

Blessings,
Myrna
LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!