Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Hidden Details Discovered In Da Vinci Masterpiece
7/16/2010 10:35:54 PM

Luis,

I live so near to London yet get few opportunities to visit the galleries.

I think that I might have to make the effort.

Thanks for this.

Roger

+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/17/2010 3:17:56 AM
Quote:
Hello Luis Miguel,
I read a few articles and also saw TV programs on this issue in the recent past. One question came to mind and it's still stuck there with no obvious answer.
Most people like myself love art for arts sake, in other words the beauty of the art itself and great appreciation for the artist that shared his feelings with us. I'm not what you can call "educated" in art but as I said love and appreciate most art forms.
So here's the question from an uneducated art lover. What difference does it make whether students finished or even initiated some of the masterpieces attributed to Da Vinci? Will we love and appreciate them less? Will the museums take the pictures down and no longer "treasure" these magnificent works of art? Will their value be lowered or raised according to the latest findings? ETC..........
It appears to me as if this is an obsession that really has no meaning and will not in any way lessen the impact of these masterpieces.
Shalom,
Peter

Hello Peter,
Thank you for your kind visit and post. You have touched a sore point there.
Of course, it should not make any difference whether the hypothetic students actually finished or even initiated some of Da Vinci's master works - at least in our eyes. I remember reading an old biography of Da Vinci by Giorgio Vasari that while fraught with invented episodes, did make it clear that there was no penchant for exclusivity with the old masters. Their themes were disinterestedly shared and they would be proud that their works were copied or imitated by other great masters or their students. There was no copyright at the time. And since they used to be in a rush to comply with their many clients' requests, they frequently used their more advanced pupils to complete their works. Of course, in some cases these works would suffer from it, but since Da Vinci was a perfectionist, he would make sure to see them out of his workshop in as perfect a condition as possible.
So I totally agree with you on your point. I guess that far from taking their "treasures" down, the museums would go overboard to prove their absolute legitimacy. Also, it is perfectly possible that the current experts are making all this fuss about the restored Virgin of the Rocks to rise its value, though I hope it is not the case here. Unfortunately, in cases like the one that has motivated this note, the owners and potential buyers are not that disinterested anymore.
Thanks again,
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+0
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/17/2010 5:15:04 PM
Hi Luis,

Always enjoy your explanations it makes a lot more sense to me then. You are the one with the eye for these things. Thanks for all you information.

Myrna
LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/17/2010 10:05:59 PM

No apology.

But everyone please read this.

(Forum owner, please delete this if it spoils your forum).

I am the first person to point out to new members that we, as a community, share a special respect for forum owners and uphold their right to decide who and how members post on their forum. But for once NO APOLOGY from me for breaking rules. I have no desire to offend but merely to make the lives of forum owners worthwhile.

If you search the forums you will see that those who post inappropriate advertising will be reminded that this isn’t the way that we behave at Adland. Rightly so.

We have a lot of forums here that are designed for business. Some promote and some invite others to post their business opportunities. These forums represent a part of Adland which is important. Many people arrive here looking for people to advertise to and others seeking opportunities or leads... That’s fine and it’s business that funds this wonderful Social and Business Network. We just need to remember that there is a social and personal side to all business transactions that prosper by repeat business. Do you deal again with people that give you poor service?

Ok, so you don’t share a desire to chat. Ok, so you don’t share a desire to bare your soul or to talk about serious or frivolous things. We are all, thankfully, different.

What saddens me is that so many devoted Adlanders spend time writing and compiling forums only to find that nobody visits. Why?

Time is important and for some, in short supply. Many new folk don’t know how. (Believe it or not, if you search the forums there are forums that are dedicated to new members and how to navigate this site). No excuses.

I’ve been around the Network block a few times and there are very few places on the web where business, lovely people and love ooze from all corners like here at Adland.

So, why are forums so badly supported?

Firstly, do people know your forum is even there?

Do people know how to navigate a forum?

Do people get so tired of notifications that they block them and then never know again?

Who knows?

DID YOU KNOW?

If you go the top of YOUR HOME PAGE HERE and click on forums that you will get a list of active forums and a list of the visits and when they happened.

WHEN DID YOU LAST CHECK to see what you are missing?

MAKE THIS VISIT TO THE FORUM LIST A ONCE A WEEK VISIT. Not much to ask is it?

Check out the forums of friends, subjects that interested you, whatever, BUT DO SOMETHING otherwise YOU ARE THE LOOSER.

There are those here who arrive at a forum and say “Sorry, I didn’t know this was still active”, how will they know if they never check?

I make no apology for posting this in a whole load of forums here. If I’m labelled a spammer it will be for the first time. You see, when I checked I found a lot of forums that I’d forgotten, neglected of missed. I DECIDED TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.

Let’s get Adland back to the days when forums where full of visitors yet retain the big surge in new business visitors that we have experienced. This is THE BEST but it can be better.

Roger Macdivitt (just a member that cares)

+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/18/2010 1:25:30 AM
Quote:

Miguel, this is very interesting and I am happy you found it and brought it to us. To think that he might have painted by himself is profound when it was thought that his students usually helped. In the first one that was restored, it is evident there was no hand on the angel and it must have been the way he wanted it. By comparison, the one with the hand does not seem to fit.

Maybe by research they will be able to determine for sure if it was all done by the same artist. No matter what, it is a divine picture, as all of Da Vinci's work remains.

Thank you friend for this wonderful forum for the Arts.

Love and blessings,

Sara

Dear Sara,
You just cannot imagine how much I appreciate your contribution here. The reason is very simple: until recently, I was totally unaware that there is no hand on the London Gallery's angel. In fact, following the general preferences expressed in the books, I never paid much attention to the London version and rather focused on the Louvre version, which, in their view, was the "real" thing versus a mere copy of it almost totally painted, years later, by Leonardo's pupils.
Some of those experts even hinted at the "real" reason of it being made at all: money!
In this way, brainwashed by them, I would submissively turn to the Louvre painting and even if the angel's hand looked a little too theatrical, even if it drew excessive attention on it nearly making it the main feature in the painting, that was okay, since it was the experts opinion and, who was I to differ from it?
I have borrowed the below composition from Wikipedia to better appreciate it. It clearly shows that you-are-right, and I was wrong! As simple as that.
Louvre version
ArtistLeonardo da Vinci
Year1483-1486
TypeOil on panel (transferred to canvas)
Dimensions199 cm × 122 cm (78.3 in × 48.0 in)
LocationLouvre, Paris
London version
ArtistLeonardo da Vinci
Year1495-1508
TypeOil on panel
Dimensions189.5 cm × 120 cm (74.6 in × 47.25 in)
LocationNational Gallery, London

Thus the real explanation might run like this: Unsure that the hand was okay, Da Vinci never really finished it, or perhaps he just wanted to soften the effect I have hinted at above. And years later, when the occasion arrived, he made a second, better version, this one treasured now in the London Gallery, with which he felt more satisfied - or at least more comfortable, since he was such a fastidious perfectionist that would have never been really satisfied.
So let me thank you again for your great contribution. It is intelligent feedback like the one previously posted by Peter, or this of yours, that makes it a pleasure to keep a forum like this.
Sincerely,
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!