Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Donna Zuehl

2077 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Sweet Potato Skins
5/28/2010 3:26:17 AM
Hi Linda,

Thanks for sharing the recipe. It sounds absolutely delicious! It is healthy, too. Sweet potatoes are better for you than white potatoes, although I love both kinds.

DonnaZ
+0
Donna Zuehl

2077 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/28/2010 3:27:31 AM
Linda,
I watch the cooking channel all the time, lol. I like to cook, like to eat, and like getting new recipes.
DonnaZ
+0
Donna Zuehl

2077 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/28/2010 3:29:55 AM
That recipe looks and sounds good, Linda. It is making me drool right now!

I know what you mean about leaving in the bay leaf or something else difficult to eat. I have done it too.

DonnaZ
+0
Donna Zuehl

2077 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/28/2010 3:31:26 AM
Can you believe I have never used phyllo dough, Linda? I need to get with the program and try something new. :)
DonnaZ
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/31/2010 3:11:54 AM

Hi Donna & Linda,

Linda, love the Sweet Potato Skins and I appreciate the Link to the "Cook Yourself Thin" website. Some very good Recipes. Sweet Potatoes are really quite healthy, and I'm proud to say that today more than 40% of the national supply of sweet potatoes comes from North Carolina.

One cup of cooked sweet potatoes provides 1,922 mcg_RAE of beta carotene (Vitamin A). It would take 16 cups of broccoli to provide the same amount. Sweet potatoes are a great source of vitamin E, and they are virtually fat-free, which makes them a real Vitamin E standout. Most Vitamin E rich foods, such as vegetable oils, nuts and avocados, contain a hefty dose of fat. Not only are sweet potatoes virtually fat-free, they are also cholesterol-free and very low in sodium. One cup (200 grams) of cooked sweet potatoes has only180 calories.

However, now that the "Healthy" stuff out of the way, let's talk about the best use for Phyllo Dough.

Homemade Baklava

Have you ever had baklava in a Greek or Middle Eastern restaurant? Most people think that sweet and flaky pastry with layers of nuts and spices would be too difficult to make at home. In reality making baklava at home is rather easy and it couldn't be any better than to make fresh pastry at home.

• 1/2 pound Phyllo Pastry Sheets (defrosted)
  • 3/4 cups Butter, melted
  • 1/2 pound Walnuts, chopped fine
  • 1/3 cup Sugar
  • 1/2 t. Cinnamon
  • 1/4 t. Cloves FOR SYRUP:
  • 2 cups Sugar
  • 1 cup Water
  • Juice of one lemon, or to taste

Butter 9×13 inch baking pan. Place one phyllo pastry sheet in pan and brush with more melted butter. Layer second phyllo sheet on top of first and brush with more melted butter. Repeat until you have six buttered phyllo sheets.

Combine walnuts, sugar, cinnamon and cloves in a bowl

Sprinkle 1/2 of the walnut mixture over phyllo sheets.

Layer six more phyllo pastry sheets, buttering between each addition, sprinkle with the remaining walnut mixture, then end with six more phyllo sheet brushed with melted butter between each.

Brush top with remaining melted butter, and trim any edges needed with a sharp knife.

Cut on the diagonal to create diamond shaped pieces, then sprinkle with water.

Bake at 325 degrees for about 45 minutes, or until golden brown.

To Make Syrup: Boil sugar, water, and lemon juice for about 10 minutes to create a syrup. Pour hot syrup over freshly baked baklava, and allow to stand for a few hours for syrup and flavors to mingle before serving.

• Have A Blessed Week My Friends,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
    +0

facebook
    Like us on Facebook!