Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: ALL ABOUT COSMIC CYCLES AND AGES
3/21/2015 1:52:45 PM

Exclusive: Friday’s Solar Eclipse Linked to Fateful 1492 Blood Moon

By

“For the earth will be as full of the knowledge of the LORD as the sea is filled with water.” (Isaiah 11:9)

Cycle of a full lunar eclipse, resulting in a “Blood Moon.” (Photo: Javier Sánchez/ Wiki Commons)

This Friday’s exceedingly rare solar eclipse has an astronomical relationship to the fateful 1492 Blood Moon, according to Root Source, in their second major revelation in recent days.

“Friday’s total solar eclipse is a direct descendant of an earlier eclipse that touched land in the New World during the middle of the 1492 Alhambra decree that ordered the expulsion of the Jews from Spain,” Root Source co-founder Bob O’Dell told Breaking Israel News.

Eclipses run in families, referred to by NASA as the saros cycle, which repeat every 18 years and 11 days. Root Source traced this Friday’s unusual eclipse directly to an eclipse that took place in April 1492.

There has been a growing interest recently in the Blood Moons, which have been occurring uninterruptedly on the Jewish holidays of Passover and Sukkot (Feast of Tabernacles) of 2014 and 2015. The next total lunar eclipse, known as a Blood Moon, will take place on April 4, 2015, the first night of Passover.

A series of four uninterrupted Blood Moons, known as a tetrad, that fall on Jewish festivals have only occurred in 1967, 1949 and 1493, all years of major significance in Jewish history. Prominent Christian leaders such as Pastors John Hagee and Mark Biltz have pointed to a pattern and identified possible apocalyptic ramifications for the 2014-2015 Blood Moons.

Critics of the apocalyptic theory claim that the timing of the Blood Moons is off. While 1967 marked the Six Day War and 1949 was the year Israel’s War of Independence concluded, 1493-1494 is far removed from the pivotal events of 1492.

Jews, who had flourished for hundreds of years in Spain, began to be persecuted in what is referred to as the Spanish Inquisition, which began in 1481. The persecution continued until the Spanish monarchy issued the edict of expulsion, known as the Alhambra Decree, on March 31, 1492.

The decree declared that the entire Spanish Jewish population was be expelled by July 31 of that same year, which turned out to coincide with the voyage of Christopher Columbus.

“In the same month in which their Majesties [Ferdinand and Isabella] issued the edict that all Jews should be driven out of the kingdom and its territories, in the same month they gave me the order to undertake with sufficient men my expedition of discovery to the Indies,” Columbus wrote in the first entry of his diary.

However, some critics reject any planetary pattern, let alone its prophetic implications.

In a column entitled “A Popular Error in Prophetic Interpretation” in Advindicate, a Seventh Day Adventist newsite, the author argues that, “The first tetrad did not begin until April 1493, but the Jews were driven from Spain on July 30, 1492; they left Spain 9 months before the first blood moon appeared.” As such, there is no pattern and no significance for 2014-2015.

Root Source’s O’Dell, however, has discovered a startling revelation, “a fact that will bolster confidence to all Christians about the significance of the Blood Moons in 2015.”

Since solar eclipses repeat every 18 years in the saros cycle, “If Friday’s eclipse was referred to, say as Generation 30, then Generation 1 would have been the solar eclipse on April 26, 1492, right in between the signing of the Alhambra decree and the expulsion.”

There’s more, says O’Dell.

“My mouth nearly dropped to the floor when I discovered the path of the 1492 solar eclipse.”

NASA has tracked the path of the solar eclipse of April 26, 1492, which began in the Pacific Ocean south of the equator and traveled northeast crossing the thin land bridge where, years later, the Panama Canal would be built. On the Jewish calendar, April 26, 1492 corresponds to the fifth day of Passover (20 Nissan), which the Bible states is two days before the Exodus from Egypt and the splitting of the sea.

image: http://www.breakingisraelnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/blood-moon-path-1492-nasa.jpg

Screenshot from NASA website on the path of the solar eclipse of April 26, 1492.
Screenshot from NASA website on the path of the solar eclipse of April 26, 1492.

After then clipping the very top of South America, the path of the 1492 solar eclipse headed southeast in the Atlantic Ocean very close to the shortest crossing point between South America and Africa.

“It is almost like it was a signpost being placed on earth for later generations to see, once the age of computers would arrive,” O’Dell explained to Breaking Israel News.

“God could have been saying to the world, that yes, you can expel the Jews from Spain, but I am going to open up the Americas so they would have a place of refuge until their ultimate homeland was ready to receive them.”

O’Dell, a devoted Christian from Austin, Texas, joined with Gidon Ariel, an Orthodox Jew living in Israel, to start Root Source, a site dedicated to teaching Christians about the Torah and Judaism.

Ariel noted the trajectory that Spain took following the expulsion of its Jewish residents. “History has shown that nations rise and fall based on how they treat the Jews, and Spain never recovered their previous glory after evicting the Jews,” he told Breaking Israel News.

image: http://www.breakingisraelnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/blood-moon-timeline.jpg

blood moon timeline

Root Source is offering a free “Blood Moons 101” eBook and video course to prepare Christians for the upcoming solar eclipse and Blood Moons.

Ariel and O’Dell have issued a global call to prayer for the exact two minutes that the earth will be in the shadow of the sun this Friday. Ariel will be leading a group of Jews and Christians at the Western Wall and is inviting worldwide worshipers to join via the Root Source website.

Root Source has even prepared a specially made two minute prayer for this Friday that can also be accessed through their website, written by Steve Hawthorne, a noted prayer author.

While many consider the Blood Moons to be a sign of judgment upon Earth, Ariel and O’Dell see them as a sign to encourage people to simply turn to God, and take a major prayer cue from Isaiah 11:9, that “None would harm or destroy another on my entire Holy Mountain, for the earth will be as full of the knowledge of the LORD as the sea is filled with water.”

“As Friday’s eclipse seems to be from the finger of God, the most important thing we can do during that event is to pray that the knowledge of God would increase very rapidly for the sake of peace and safety for all,” O’Dell stated.

To download the free eBook “Blood Moons 101” click here.

Read more at http://www.breakingisraelnews.com/33314/fridays-solar-eclipse-linked-to-fateful-1492-blood-moon-biblical-zionism/#uplw7WCwjP5wph6s.99

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+2
Prehistoric mother and child discovered
4/27/2016 12:11:52 AM

Prehistoric mother and child discovered

The 5,000-year-old remains of a mother holding a child are discovered in Taiwan, representing the earliest trace of human activity in the country. Angela Moore reports.

The graphic is huge, visit my blog post to see graphic and visit link to reporter's name to see video.

Quote:

Introduction

One of the most self-evident truths with regard to history is it cannot be conceived outside of time. Can you approach the study of any people, culture, country or civilization, for example, without at least an approximate idea of what its place is in history within a given timeframe? In other words, can you understand the history of any people if you cannot insert it, say, within the Paleolithic, the Middle Ages, and so on?

Moreover, is there any truth in the notion of history repeating itself? And if so, does it stem from a sort of recurring, or cyclic, time?

What can we say, for example, of the countless proven parallelisms in the history of different human societies occurring at a great distance from one another, both in space and time?

So concerning time, the question can be formulated like this: Is time only linear, as even some of the greatest scientists, mainly in the western world, contend; or is it cyclic, as some of the most important world's religions, and many lucid philosophers have always taught?

When I started my first version of The Wheel of Time - A Study in the Doctrine of Cosmic Cycles, I was motivated by very special circumstances. A most precious, monumental Hindu holy scripture, the Third Canto of Bhagavata Purana, had come to my hands as if by accident, and I was marveled to learn about the huge lengths of time mentioned in relation to cosmic cycles. For instance, the Kali-yuga o "Dark Era", a cycle which clearly corresponds to the Age of Iron of the Greek and Roman traditions, would actually extend over 432,000 terrestrial years, a tenth of a human cycle of 4'320,000 years; and if its start was in 3102 BC, as recorded by Hindu astronomical texts, its end would arrive as late as 429,000 AD, without doubt a reassuring date in times of enormous global crisis as we are living now, but which does not absolutely correlate with data from other traditions announcing an imminent end for our troubled civilization.

The answer to my deep uneasiness would come a bit later, mainly in the form of a remarkable article by René Guénon: Some Remarks on the Doctrine de Cosmic Cycles, originally published in French in 1937. Thanks to it, I was finally satisfied that such figures were essentially symbolic, as suggested by the fact that they are all multiple of nine – which precisely makes them "circular" o cyclic – and that they must be basically assimilated to the great cycle of precession of the equinoxes, a key period of time in the development of mankind whose traditional length, 25,920 common years, also is a multiple of nine. True, at the same time I concluded that in the light of the most recent scientific discoveries, such lengths could also be taken in an approximately literal manner, something that Guénon could not be acquainted with in his time; but for the moment, it was fairly enough.

It was only relatively recently, however, that I was able to finish the book.
On the other hand, I hesitated as to the convenience to keep some sections, but was dissuaded by the fact that, while they are not essential to a better understanding of the matter, they can be profitably read, in particular the latter, which briefly depicts the Kali-yuga of the present cycle – virtually the history of our so-called civilization.

Now, it is understandable that this particular view of history will frontally crash with that of the majority of readers, who, save for one or two exceptions, know very little about oriental doctrines. In this sense, it is essential to understand the concept of maha-yuga, the Hindu cycle of four yugas or decreasing ages whose lengths are proportional to 4, 3, 2 and 1 and which, in fact, can be assimilated to any temporal cycle, as another fundamental point of the doctrine is that there exists a total correlation among them all; and then stop at the concept of Manvantara, this one referred to the total human cycle and whose length must be calculated as two cycles of precession of equinoxes or a total 51,840 common years.

The cycle of precession of the equinoxes

One more step, and it must become clear that if the yugas sum up proportionally 10 (because 4 + 3 + 2 + 1 = 10), the length of the Kali-yuga will be one tenth of that total, i.e. 5,184 common years. Yet another step, consistent with the previous one, will make us understand that the characteristics of the present Kali-yuga, by virtue of the correlations to which I have referred, reflect accurately – yet in a more incisive way – those of the full cycle of 51,840 years; this, in practice, will give us a small-scale image of this cycle, including, also in a small scale but with lengths always proportional to the scale 4, 3, 2 and 1, that of the four descending yugas. The last step will be to focus on the last of them, which we may call the kali-yuga of the present Kali-yuga: a period of time of little more than five hundred years, extremely rich in historical events and great material achievements but which unfortunately, precisely by reason of their being merely material, would appear to be leading us towards disaster at an ever increasing speed...

I know, I know: this last part
sounds pretty pessimistic, and we were supposed to be talking about the new coming Golden Age, where all is going to be perfection and bliss. But another equally valid point in the present discussion is that we are now in the last or end days announced in the Gospels, however terrible they may be, and that they must be gone first before the new, Golden Age can ensue. Let's all hope that won't take long.

Blessings,

Luis Miguel Goitizolo

+2
Farrukh Nawaz

3 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
5/22/2016 4:20:20 AM
Good article. Loving to share for my next study. Good sharing for me.
+2
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/22/2016 10:25:44 AM

Thank you Farrukh.

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
9/7/2016 11:20:09 AM
New Study Suggests Sun More Important Than Thought On Earth’s Climate

In this newsletter:

1) Cosmic Ray Intensity Increasing: New Study Suggests Sun More Important Than Thought On Earth’s Climate
Vencore Weather, 29 August 2016

2) Solar Activity Has A Direct Impact On Earth’s Cloud Cover, Scientists Confirm
Technical University of Denmark, 24 August 2016

3) Construction Starts on Huge Chinese Cosmic-Ray Observatory
Physics World, 9 August 2016

4) Robert Matthews: Climate Science Debates Find Their Place In The Sun
The National, 28 August 2016

5) Matt Ridley: Ice Scares Aren’t All They’re Cracked Up To Be
The Times, 29 August 2016

Full details:

1) Cosmic Ray Intensity Increasing: New Study Suggests Sun More Important Than Thought On Earth’s Climate
Vencore Weather, 29 August 2016
Paul Dorian

For the past year, neutron monitors around the Arctic Circle have sensed an increasing intensity of cosmic rays.

This colorized picture of the sun is a mosaic of ultraviolet images from the orbiting TRACE satellite sensitive to light emitted by highly charged iron atoms. Growing in number, the intricate structures visible are the Sun's hot active regions with temperatures over a million degrees Fahrenheit and their associated magnetic loops (courtesy NASA)

This colorized picture of the sun is a mosaic of ultraviolet images from the orbiting TRACE satellite sensitive to light emitted by highly charged iron atoms. Growing in number, the intricate structures visible are the Sun’s hot active regions with temperatures over a million degrees Fahrenheit and their associated magnetic loops (courtesy NASA)

Overview
It has long been widely accepted that the sun is absolutely critical to all weather and climate here on Earth and yet there are still some aspects of this connection that are not too well understood and even controversial. For example, there has been the belief by many atmospheric scientists that cosmic rays which penetrate the Earth’s atmosphere from outer space can play a significant role in the formation of clouds which, in turn, has a direct impact on climate. Solar activity has a direct impact on the ability of cosmic rays to actually reach the Earth’s atmosphere. A just published study has confirmed the notion that cosmic rays can indeed be an important player in Earth’s weather and climate and the role of the sun is critical.

Cosmic rays and clouds
Cosmic rays are high-velocity particles of enormous energy that bombard the Earth from outside the solar system. The exact origin of cosmic rays has long been a mystery in the field of astronomy. Cosmic rays may produce showers of secondary particles that penetrate and impact the Earth’s atmosphere and sometimes even reach the surface. The connection between cosmic rays and clouds has been under investigation in recent years and somewhat controversial. Some researchers have held the belief that cosmic rays hitting Earth’s atmosphere create aerosols which, in turn, seed clouds and thereby help in the formation of clouds. This would make cosmic rays an important player in weather and climate. Other researchers, however, have been dubious. The skeptics have maintained that although some laboratory experiments have supported the idea that cosmic rays help to seed clouds, the effect is likely too small to substantially affect the cloudiness of our planet and have an important impact on climate.

Findings from a just published study
A new study just published in the Aug. 19th issue of Journal of Geophysical Research: Space Physics comes down in favor of cosmic rays. According to spaceweather.com, a team of scientists from the Technical University of Denmark (DTU) and the Hebrew University of Jerusalem has linked sudden decreases in cosmic rays to changes in Earth’s cloud cover. These rapid decreases in the observed galactic cosmic ray intensity are known as “Forbush Decreases” and tend to take place following coronal mass ejections (CMEs) in periods of high solar activity. When the sun is active (i.e., solar storms, CMEs), the magnetic field of the plasma solar wind sweeps some of the galactic cosmic rays away from Earth. In periods of low solar activity, more cosmic rays bombard the earth. The term “Forbush Decrease” was named after the American physicist Scott E. Forbush, who studied cosmic rays in the 1930s and 1940s.

The research team led by Jacob Svensmark of DTU identified the strongest 26 “Forbush Decreases” between 1987 and 2007, and looked at ground-based and satellite records of cloud cover to see what happened. In a recent press release, their conclusions were summarized as follows: “[Strong “Forbush Decreases”] cause a reduction in cloud fraction of about 2 percent corresponding to roughly a billion tonnes of liquid water disappearing from the atmosphere.”

Current cosmic ray activity
We happen to be in a weak solar cycle (24) which is actually on pace to be the weakest cycle in more than one hundred years. Therefore, it would not be surprising to have relatively high cosmic ray penetration into the Earth’s atmosphere; especially, since we are now heading towards the next solar minimum phase when solar activity is generally even quieter.

In fact, for the past year, neutron monitors around the Arctic Circle have sensed an increasing intensity of cosmic rays. Polar latitudes are a good place to make such measurements, because Earth’s magnetic field funnels and concentrates cosmic radiation there. As it turns out, Earth’s poles aren’t the only place cosmic rays are intensifying. “Spaceweather.com” has led an effort in the launching of helium balloons to the stratosphere to measure radiation, and they find the same trend increasing intensity of cosmic rays over California [For more on this study click
here]:
Cosmic rays have been steadily increasing in recent months during historically weak solar cycle 24

Full post

2) Solar Activity Has A Direct Impact On Earth’s Cloud Cover, Scientists Confirm
Technical University of Denmark, 24 August 2016

A team of scientists from the National Space Institute at the Technical University of Denmark (DTU Space) and the Racah Institute of Physics at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem has linked large solar eruptions to changes in Earth’s cloud cover in a study based on over 25 years of satellite observations.

The solar eruptions are known to shield Earth’s atmosphere from cosmic rays. However the new study, published in
Journal of Geophysical Research: Space Physics, shows that the global cloud cover is simultaneously reduced, supporting the idea that cosmic rays are important for cloud formation. The eruptions cause a reduction in cloud fraction of about 2 percent corresponding to roughly a billion tonnes of liquid water disappearing from the atmosphere.

Since clouds are known to affect global temperatures on longer timescales, the present investigation represents an important step in the understanding of clouds and climate variability.

“Earth is under constant bombardment by particles from space called galactic cosmic rays. Violent eruptions at the Sun’s surface can blow these cosmic rays away from Earth for about a week. Our study has shown that when the cosmic rays are reduced in this way there is a corresponding reduction in Earth’s cloud cover. Since clouds are an important factor in controlling the temperature on Earth our results may have implications for climate change,” explains lead author on the study Jacob Svensmark of DTU.

Very energetic particles

These particles generate electrically charged molecules — ions — in Earth’s atmosphere. Ions have been shown in the laboratory to enhance the formation of aerosols, which can serve as seeds for the formation of the cloud drops that make up a cloud. Whether this actually happens in the atmosphere, or only in the laboratory is a topic that has been investigated and debated for years.

When the large solar eruptions blow away the galactic cosmic rays before they reach Earth they cause a reduction in atmospheric ions of up to about 20 to -30 percent over the course of a week. So if ions affect cloud formation it should be possible to observe a decrease in cloud cover during events when the Sun blows away cosmic rays, and this is precisely what is done in this study.

The so-called ‘Forbush decreases’ of the cosmic rays have previously been linked to week-long changes in Earth’s cloud cover but the effect has been debated at length in the scientific literature. The new study concludes that “there is a real impact of Forbush decreases on cloud microphysics” and that the results support the suggestion that “ions play a significant role in the life-cycle of clouds.”

Arriving at that conclusion was, however, a hard endeavor; Very few strong Forbush decreases occur and their effect on cloud formation is expected to be close to the limit of detection using global atmospheric observations measured by satellites and land based stations. Therefore it was of the greatest importance to select the strongest events for study since they had to have the most easily detected effect. Determining this strength required combining data from about 130 stations in combination with atmospheric modeling.

This new method resulted in a list of 26 events in the period of 1987-2007 ranked according to ionization. This ranked list was important for the detection of a signal, and may also shed some light on why previous studies have arrived at varied conclusions, since they have relied on events that were not necessarily ranked high on the list.

Possible long term effect

The effect from Forbush decreases on clouds is too brief to have any impact on long-term temperature changes.

However since clouds are affected by short term changes in galactic cosmic radiation, they may well also be affected by the slower change in Solar activity that happens on scales from tens to hundreds of years, and thus play a role in the radiation budget that determines the global temperature.

The Suns contribution to past and future climate change may thus be larger than merely the direct changes in radiation, concludes the scientists behind the new study.

Reference: J. Svensmark, M. B. Enghoff, N. J. Shaviv, H. Svensmark. The response of clouds and aerosols to cosmic ray decreases. Journal of Geophysical Research: Space Physics, 2016; DOI: 10.1002/2016JA022689

Full story

3) Construction Starts on Huge Chinese Cosmic-Ray Observatory
Physics World, 9 August 2016

Construction has begun on one of the world's largest and most sensitive cosmic-ray facilities. Located about 4410 m above sea level in the Haizi Mountain in Sichuan Province in southwest China, the 1.2 billion yuan ($180m)
Large High Altitude Air Shower Observatory (LHAASO) will attempt to understand the origins of high-energy cosmic rays. LHAASO is set to open in 2020.
Layout of the LHAASO Project. (Courtesy: IHEP/LHAASO Collaboration)
Layout of the LHAASO Project. (Courtesy: IHEP/LHAASO Collaboration)

Cosmic rays are particles that originate in outer space and are accelerated to energies higher than those that can be achieved in even the largest man-made particle accelerators. Composed mainly of high-energy protons and atomic nuclei, cosmic rays create an air shower of particles such as photons and muons when they hit the atmosphere. Where cosmic rays come from, however, has remained a mystery since they were first spotted some 100 years ago.

Cosmic showers

LHAASO aims to detect cosmic rays over a wide range of energies from 10
11–1018 eV using a Cherenkov water detector, covering a total area of 80 000 m2, together with 12 wide-field Cherenkov telescopes. These two types of instrument, which are above ground, will spot the Cherenkov radiation emitted when a charged particle travels through a medium faster than light can travel through that medium. LHAASO will also consist of a 1.3 km2 array of 6000 scintillation detectors that will study electrons and photons in the air showers, while an overlapping 1.3 km2 underground array of 1200 underground Cherenkov water tanks will detect muons.

Full post

4) Robert Matthews: Climate Science Debates Find Their Place In The Sun
The National, 28 August 2016

Man’s nearest star is less active after scientists noticed a plunge in the number of sunspots. As a result, some say, global temperature levels will not rise as much as predicted, while others insist this will do little to slow climate change.
Image result for spotless sun 2016
Taken by Noeleen Lowndes on July 2, 2016 @ Gold Coast QLD Australia

ABU DHABI // August may be its usual sweltering self in the UAE, but it’s not business as usual with the source of that heat.

Something strange is happening to the Sun, and scientists are getting hot under the collar about it.

According to some, the Sun’s activity is dropping to levels last seen during a mini ice age that gripped the northern hemisphere 350 years ago. Others accept that the effect is real, but say global warming will still rule our future.

But some academics seem to regard the whole issue as too dangerous for public consumption and have sought to suppress it. Welcome to the less-than-dispassionate quest for truth that is climate science.

There is no dispute that the Sun has become quiescent. The Sun’s activity has long been known to vary on a cycle of about 11 years.

These peaks and troughs are revealed by sunspots, blotches on the surface caused by its magnetic field interfering with the flow of heat from the interior.

The latest solar cycle began in 2008, with sunspot numbers reaching a peak in 2014. But it was a decidedly feeble peak – barely half the previous level, and the lowest recorded since 1906.

Ever since, the Sun has been sliding towards a minimum, which it should reach around 2020. On current form, the cycle may prove to be the weakest since records began in the 17th century.

The arguments among researchers centre on whether this is significant. Just because sunspot numbers have plunged doesn’t mean the Sun itself is going off the boil.

Records from past sunspot cycles show that the Sun’s output changes by barely 0.1 per cent between peaks and troughs.

That, in turn, suggests that even if their numbers hit a record low, the temperature of the Earth would change by much less than the 1°C to 3°C temperature rise being predicted for the 21st century by computer models of global warming. Thus, even if the Sun is becoming less active, the effect is likely to be a downward tweak to an otherwise relentless climb in temperature propelled by greenhouse gases like carbon dioxide.

But not everyone is convinced. They point to intriguing evidence of an unexpected link between sunspots and climate known as the Maunder Minimum. Records show this began in the mid-17th century with a collapse in sunspot numbers and a drop in temperatures over Europe.

The Maunder Minimum coincided with the coldest part of the so-called Little Ice Age, which gripped the region from 1300 to the mid-19th century.

But was it a coincidence? Yes, if you agree with scientists who say sunspots have minimal effect on global temperatures. Perhaps not if you side with those who challenge the arguments against such a link. [...]

Current computer models suggest that if the Sun really is heading for a new Maunder Minimum, there will be a cooling effect, but it won’t be big enough to halt global warming. As for a new mini ice age, that seems highly unlikely.

On the face of it, this is good news all round. While there’s no need to panic about a big freeze any time soon, the Sun may at least be giving us more time to deal with global warming.

Yet that’s not how some scientists see it. They seem to regard this new twist to the climate change debate as a threat, opening the door to “denialists” who dismiss global warming as scaremongering.

The experiences of one solar physicist suggest these academic guardians of the faith are keen to stop the idea of a less active Sun getting any traction.

Prof Valentina Zharkova of Northumbria University in the UK has for years been working on the central puzzle behind the controversy: why does the usual 11-year solar cycle occasionally collapse?

By analysing data from recent cycles, she and her colleagues found evidence that the Sun has two sources of magnetic fields – and that when these get out of sync, the result is a collapse in sunspot numbers.

They’ve also made a prediction: that the Sun really is heading towards a Maunder Minimum-style event that could last until the 2050s.

Publishing in a scientific journal, the researchers saw their work as simply part of the quest to understand the Sun.

But when the team publicised their work through the UK Royal Astronomical Society, some academics decided to step in. Prof Zharkova this month told the Global Warming Policy Forum that the society came under pressure to withdraw a press release describing the findings.

The society refused. But attempts at such censorship should worry anyone who thinks the real goal of science is to uncover the truth, rather than follow a party line.

Evidence is the most powerful guide we have in the science of climate change. But if that evidence is censored or twisted, the science becomes mere sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Full post

5) Matt Ridley: Ice Scares Aren’t All They’re Cracked Up To Be
The Times, 29 August 2016

Doom-mongering scientists telling us that the melting Arctic is a disaster conveniently overlook vast chunks of history

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!