Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Doris Beaulieu

100 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
How can home and private schooled children be better prepared for the world.
3/2/2010 4:19:54 PM

The children placed in these situations have many various reasons. Some parents place their children in these situations to keep them away from other children who may be bad influences on them-drugs, sex, violence. For many others religion plays a role; public schools really shame religion in many ways. You can't walk fifty feet in a public high school without hearing the Lord's name taken in vain and at least five swears, possibly used by one person in one sentence that would be significantly shorter if the words were omitted. Also any thing you may not take part in or approve of on moral grounds can make you plenty of enemies-you can offend someone simply by telling her that you don't think moving in with her boyfriend would be in her best interest especially considering the circumstances of then- relationship. This can make highschool an especially trying time for children with morals. These are very good reasons and I support parents who believe this is a significant reason for removing their children from such an environment, that is, if they properly perform the duties they will have following this removal.

Many children who attend private schools or who are home schooled face a harsh reality when they step out alone into the world we take for granted knowing before we're swept into it. These children don't know half of the terms commonly used in public schools; these words include ghetto, pimp, and rape. At first you may think these words would serve no purpose in a moral child's life. You're right, except what happens if they eventually live in a place where people tell them to stay out of the ghetto and to avoid pimps because they might get raped? They also hardly interact with people they aren't familiar with. What will happen to them when they have to get jobs and deal with people, sometimes upset people? They will lack the social skills necessary to do the job and not go home crying at night. This is just setting the children up for failure.

You may ask, how do I know this? Why do I care so much about making a difference? That's because this is the story of my life. I was enrolled in a Catholic school, married young, and because of my husband's job, was placed in an environment I was completely nieve to. I know how it feels and how much of an affect it has on the emotional and physical well being of a young adult. I support a parent wanting a child to be moral, but not hindering them in life for this purpose. Some integration into society must take place in order for a child to enter into society properly. This can happen many ways including sports, jobs/volunteer work, and music programs. However small, it is necessary for a child's well being and this is the point I make in my book The Torments of the Modest, Secluded Farm Life (ISBN: 1-58721-806-2) and my screenplay Broken Souls. If you are considering such schooling or are just interested, please, read it and consider the ramifications.

+0
Linda Harvey

7954 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: How can home and private schooled children be better prepared for the world.
3/2/2010 9:27:26 PM
Very interesting ...

I prefer a good private school for academics, good home schooling if they do get a greater, better education !

And I know from experience ... that you can't prepare your children for the harshness of the world, people's attitudes, lack of morals, lack of calm over choas ....
+0
Doris Beaulieu

100 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
RE: How can home and private schooled children be better prepared for the world.
3/2/2010 10:31:21 PM
Dear Linda,
Yes, if social skills become part of the education so it doesn't become such a culture shock when they leave their sheltered surroundings to enter the real world as we know it today. A childhood of protection should not become an adulthood of trauma.

We have over three million children being home schooled with 5% to 12 % raise each year,and some form of guidelines are needed to stop the miss use of the word "I Home School". Some state have little to no rules at all to ensure children are even being educated. I don't have a total fix for the educational problem, but I know someone has to step up to the plate and bring a balance to handle the wrong doers. We need to all take a closer look at this area of education, and were states fail the children, government needs to step in and make laws equal across the board for all states. Our children need us all to care about them all leaving no child behind.

Thank you,
Doris

+0
Linda Harvey

7954 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/2/2010 11:23:18 PM
Many of the problems in public schools now a days ... goes right back to family and cultural, social values ...

And it is overwhelming for educators and the 'system' to handle ...
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!