Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Papas Kitchen
8/16/2010 9:58:16 PM

Hi Myrna,

So good to see you here at the Forum my Friend. Yes Myrna, according to my Mama, who I personally think was one of the best Cooks that I've ever known, all really good Cooks do so by "feel", in other words, add just a little of this and a taste of that, until it's just right. That's why you'll never see a good Cook in a spanking clean kitchen, you got to make a mess every once in awhile.

My Cousin Susan, the one who orginally sent me the Recipes, grew up here in NC, but after she was married, she and her Husband moved around quite a bit, I think because of his job. At one time they lived for a number of years up in the Wilkes-Barre area, over in Northeastern PA, right around Scranton. They now have relocated out West to Denver, CO.

There are several famous people who can trace their roots to the Coal region of Pennsylvania, inluding our current Vice-President, Joe Biden, as well as a couple of my favorite Band Leaders, like Jimmy & Tommy Dorsey, and Les Brown, although I imagine his Band of Renown came along later.

Anyway, here's a couple more of the Recipes I received from Susan and which I make quite often still today...

Pickled Eggs

These I like to keep on hand, and I still love to eat them, especially during Football Season, for some strange reason.

Eggs
1 can sliced red beets
Vinegar
Water

Hard boil eggs. Peel shells. Place eggs in large glass jar with lid. I use a large empty Dill Pickle Jar, like we sell over at the Stadium during the Football games. Empty a small can of sliced red beets with juice into saucepan. Add water and vinegar. Some folks add sugar, but it's optional, personally, I like them without. Heat until warm (not boiling). Pour into jar over eggs. Put lid on jar and place in refrigerator for about 24 hours. Eggs will turn a nice shade of reddish purple. Yum!

Bethlehem Cookies

For such a simple Cookie to make, these are like a little touch of Heaven, once you pop one in your mouth.

7 cups flour
2 cups lard (one pound)
6 egg yolks
1 pint sour cream
2 tsp baking soda
3 lb of nuts to 1 box confectioners sugar

Mix all and put to freeze overnight. Roll out the next day in powder sugar instead of flour. Spread with ground nuts or poppy seed. Roll and bake until tops are nicely browned.

Have A Terrific Monday My Friend,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/16/2010 10:21:30 PM
Hi Phil,

I thought maybe someone would ask about pickled eggs, but here you already put in a recipe. I always use a little sugar in mine and cinnamon, clove, or allspice, but then there are many ways to make them, some put in onions.

I can't get ahead of you, not that AI have been trying, but you are always ahead of me.
Silly me. lol

Have an egg on me.........

Myrna

LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
8/16/2010 10:36:39 PM

Hello Phil, Myrna, and food loving friends! Just dropping by to see the latest recipes. Now, I am hungry again! Not for those almost raw shrimp Phil. No Sushi for this person, got to be cooked at least a little. Now fresh veggies oh, love them. I like eating them separate and not in a salad, just being rude and chewing on a lettuce leaf, sliced tomatoes, onions, cucumbers... I rarely use a dressing for salads as I just love to taste the vegetables.

We have just a few turnip plants growing in the garden and I hope to get to use them before the grasshoppers take their share!! Oh, how I miss the 'greens'!

Myrna, when I was in PA and at the airport on return trip, one of the attendants asked me if I had cheese steak sandwich. I told him no and he could not believe they had not served that to me. I did have some porogies (?) forgotten how it is spelled but I was not very impressed. My cousin I visited grew up in Alabama and is a very good cook so she mixes a little PA, New Jersery (her husband's family) and AL. All her meals were delicious. Now she does the peach pies - each year she buys them from local Amish markets and makes up a dozen or so pies for the freezer.

Can you tell I love talking about FOOD!

Later friends, it is time to COOK again.

Sara

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/16/2010 11:47:33 PM

Hello Again Myrna,

Didn't mean to jump the gun on you there my Friend. I must admit that I fell in love with Pickled Eggs back in my "Drinking Period", but I still love 'em, and I haven't had a drink since '83, Praise the Lord! I also use Cloves occasionally, and I have been known to add a few Onions, just for the flavor.

Now that I've been thinking about Susan recipes from up there, I'm getting hungry all over again. Here's a couple more of my very favorites, and speaking of "Drinking", for those that still inbibe, a little later I'll also give you the Recipe for Traditional Boilo. Good Stuff! If I remember correctly.

Halupkies

(Stuffed Cabbage Rolls)

1 head of cabbage (about 3 lbs)
1 lb ground pork
1 lb ground beef
1 Tbsp salt
1/2 tspn pepper
1 can stewed tomatoes
3/4 cup uncooked rice
1 onion, chopped
1 Tbsp shortening

Cut cabbage deeply around core to loosen leaves. Boil the cabbage leaves about 5 minutes and set aside to drain. In a skillet, add ground meats, onions, shortening, salt and pepper, and fry slowly for about 15 minutes. Wash rice, drain, add to meat and mix well.

Place a tablespoon of the meat mixture in the center of a cabbage leaf and roll. Place rolls side by side in pot. Pour tomatoes over top and add enough water to cover. Add another tbsp salt and pepper. Cook 1 and 1/2 hours.

Bleenies

(Fried Potato Pancakes)

8 medium potatoes
1 medium onion, grated
1 egg
Salt & pepper
4 level tbsp. flour

In Europe and Russia, bleenies (or "blinis") are regular flour pancakes and are served with caviar. In the Coal Region, a bleenie is a potato pancake. Few people make them at home since they can create a huge greasy mess in your kitchen (and your whole house). That's why they are popular at block parties and church bazaars. Bleenie lines have been known to circle halfway around the block.

Peel and grate potatoes. Mix potatoes and all other ingredients together. Flatten like pancakes. Fry. Add salt to taste after cooking. Some people put vinegar on before eating, others smear on some grape or strawberry jelly.

Have A Special Evening My Friend,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/17/2010 12:47:46 AM

Hi Sara,

You know I love my Veggies, anyway, Steamed, Raw, or in a Salad. I tend to make up a lot of Veggie-Pasta Salads this time of year, when it's so unbearably hot. Of course, I also like my Fruit Salads as well.

I think this may have been what you were referring to, when you mentioned that you had some while you were up in PA...

Pierogies

2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 egg

Of course, most Coal Crackers will ask you, "Why make pierogies when you can buy Mrs. T's ???" If you'll click on the Link, you will probably agree. However, for the purists, here is a recipe.

Sift flour, baking powder, add egg and water to make a soft dough. Turn on lightly floured board and knead gently five (5) minutes. Allow to stand about ten (10) minutes before rolling. Roll dough very thin, cut in two-inch squares. Place a teaspoon of filling (see below) in center and fold the corners, seal edges well by pinching, then follow one of the following methods:

FRIED: Fry in deep fat, serve hot or cold, delicious if sprinkled with sour cream or melted butter.

BOILED: Cook in boiling water, allow to simmer until they float to the top, takes about five minutes. Drain. Fry chopped onion in butter and pour over them.

BAKED: On a greased cookie sheet, scalded with boiling water and fried onions.

Choices for pierogie fillings:

• Potato filling: Mash four medium cooked potatoes, salt and add two ounces sharp cheese. Combine ingredients. (this is by far the most popular filling)
  • Cheese filling: 1/2 lb. dry cottage cheese. Mix well with 1 beaten egg.
  • Prune filling: 1/2 lb. prunes, seeded, cooked, and mashed. ... Ok, this one I've never tried.
  • Cabbage filling: 1 1-lb. head of cabbage, chopped fine. 1 medium onion, chopped fine. 1/2 teaspoon salt. 2 tbsps shortening. Saute onion in shortening. Add cabbage. Fry slowly until browned.
  • Sauerkraut filling: 1 small can sauerkraut, browned in butter and seasoned.

Hope this is what you were referring to, because as you can see, this is another great way to eat those Veggies.

Have A Blessed Week My Friend,

Phil

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!