Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Donna Zuehl

2077 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Chicken, Apricot, and Almond Rice
12/10/2009 5:51:49 AM

This recipe sounds easy to prepare, healthy, and quick. Since I don't care for chicken thighs, I will substitute chicken breast sliced into bite-size pieces.

Recipe by #

• Serves: 4 – 6
  • Prep: 10 mins
  • Total: 1 hr 15 mins

Ingredients

12 oz (350 g) Fairtrade basmati rice 1/2 tsp Fairtrade ground turmeric
12 Fairtrade dried apricots Zest and juice of 1 Fairtrade orange
1 3/4 oz (50 g) flaked almonds 1 tbsp olive oil
1 red onion, chopped 6 chicken thigh fillets, sliced
1/2 oz (15 g) fresh coriander, roughly chopped

directions

1. Cook the rice according to the instructions on the pack, but adding the turmeric to the water. When cooked, drain and set aside to keep warm.
  2. Soak the apricots in half of the orange juice for 10 minutes while the rice is cooking. Drain, then halve the apricots and set them aside.
  3. Toast the almonds in a large deep frying pan for 2–3 minutes until golden. Remove and set aside.
  4. Heat the oil in the same pan and cook the onion over a low heat for 4–5 minutes until soft. Stir in the chicken, raise the heat, and fry for 6–8 minutes until thoroughly cooked.
  5. Add the cooked rice along with the apricots, and stir through. Season well.
  6. Pour in the remaining orange juice, sprinkle with almonds and herbs, and serve.

View this recipe online by searching for "Chicken, Apricot, and Almond Rice" or visit:
http://www.ivillage.com/chicken-apricot-and-almond-rice/3-r-64896

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Chicken, Apricot, and Almond Rice
12/10/2009 2:49:13 PM

Hi Donna,

Sounds delicious! I do love Apricots. In fact, I just tried a new recipe for Apricot-Nut Bread this past weekend...

Apricot and Brazil Nut Bread

Apricot and Brazil Nut BreadThis recipe makes just one loaf, and to make matters even easier you can bake it in a throwaway tinfoil pie dish.
Makes one large loaf.
Calories per slice: approx. 90, depending on thickness.

• 2 teacups plus 1 tablespoon STRONG plain white bread flour
  • 1 teacup warm water and milk mixed
  • 1 tbsp walnut oil
  • 1 level tsp. Dried yeast (buy the activated yeast)
  • 1 level tsp salt
  • 2 tsp. Sugar
  • ¼ tsp cinnamon
  • 1 teacup broken brazils and chopped apricots, mixed.

1. Put all the dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl.

2. Pour in the water/milk mix and the oil. Start to mix using your hand. If the mixture gets a little soggy, add more flour a little at a time.

3. Knead for no less than ten minutes. This doesn't have to be a performance, but it has to be done. Kneading is done by pulling the outside of the dough towards the centre working your way round and round. Take the outside and pull it in. When the time is up, leave it in the bowl, put a tea towel over the top and go away for an hour. If the room isn't very warm it might be 2 or 3 hours.

4. The dough should now be double the size it was. If it isn't, it might have been too cold, so leave it a little longer, or put near a radiator.

5. Now you do what's called 'knocking back'. It takes 30 seconds. You take out the dough and press all the air out of it, pushing it back to the size it was before. Make it into the shape you want your final loaf to be. Put on an oiled, floured foil tray or into a long foil loaf container. Cover it up and leave it to rise again. It should be double the size, as before.
Set your oven to 220C, Gas mark 7 or 400F.

6. When ready, put the loaf straight into the oven, leave it to bake and about 20 minutes later, you should have one golden, fragrant loaf!
Note: This all sounds laborious, but it isn't. Most of the work is the kneading, but most of the time is spent doing nothing at all. If you want to leave the dough and go out for the day, it will rise in the fridge, taking about 8 hours.

7. Cool completely on a wire rack, then either eat it fresh or slice carefully and freeze.

You know me, I love home-made breads. Enjoy!

Have A Bright & Blessed Christmas,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
12/10/2009 4:48:39 PM

Okay, now both of you Donna and Phil have made me very hungry!! Those recipes sound like some good eating. Thank you for keeping this going Donna. Your recipes are always handy.

Blessings,

Sara

+0
Donna Zuehl

2077 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/13/2009 7:04:27 AM
Thank you for the recipe, Phil. It sounds yummy. I like breads, too!!!

DonnaZ
+0
Donna Zuehl

2077 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/13/2009 7:05:27 AM
Hi Sara,

Thank you for stopping by. I love recipes and collect cookbooks, so I have a lot of them to share.

DonnaZ
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!