Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Jayson VanBeekom

796 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
RE: Embarassing Stories
10/8/2009 2:46:06 PM
Hi Roger. The thought of "Oh no!" immediately came to mind when I read the end of your story. A similar thing happened to my brother a few years ago at the public pool. I shouldn't say anymore than that, but let me tell you, I felt embarassed for him when he told me what happened. Hahahahahaha!
+0
Kathleen Vanbeekom

13305 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/8/2009 9:15:02 PM

Wow. Now I'd like to hear what happened to Dennis or what he DID at the pool!  I know you guys stopped going there a couple years ago, AND it's been free for 2 years so I wondered why he didn't want to go swimming anymore!

Jayson saying things about getting hit with a mixing spoon, that's not from us parents!  That's his Asian grandmother's story about hitting his dad and uncle until she busted the wooden spoon on someone's butt and had to use a plastic spoon after that!

I can't think of any particular embarrassing moment in my life, I've probably had so many, they all just blur into normalcy.  There is one...a long time ago when I found out I was pregnant around Christmas time (I think when pregnant with Jayson) my spoonless Asian mother-in-law asked me "How do you like being pregnant?" and I thought she said "How do you like all  your presents?"  and I said "I got everything I wanted!"  (I didn't understand why she looked so surprised and my husband burst out laughing from embarrassment! oh well.)

+0
10/8/2009 10:18:02 PM

Jayson, I think youngster's today are very much like way back when in my youth, I do not think youths believe their parents are lying ~~~  I think they are paranoid their parents have found out something they thought they got away with :)

+0
Jayson VanBeekom

796 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
10/9/2009 3:01:34 PM
Hi Jan. I have always been paranoid about eveything. I thought thunder was a lion roaring when I was a kid. But I always think to myself, if I become a parent, should I lie to my kids and tell them Santa Claus exists or tell them he doesn't? And when they find out he doesn't, then what? Nothing, I hope.
+0
10/9/2009 9:58:32 PM

Jayson, it would be WISE to correct myths in childrens' lives, before they start reading.

12 years ago, I am glad made this choice with my baby (will be 18 in January 2010) boy.  It was about this time of the year, when I pulled his last primary tooth a dozen years ago, I forgot to replace his tooth with his "tooth fairy reward" ~ the moning after he awoke he still found his tooth.  And he shouted ~ Mommy the "tooth fairy forgot me last night"

Oh NO!  I replied, you must have woke up too soon.  Put the tooth back and go back to sleep before she gets here.  He placed the tooth wrapped in tissue back under his pillow. I then asked, "Do you have to use it?"  He said, "No" ;however, as usual I would ask him to go see if he can squeeze two drops.  He agree and while he went to the bathroom, I quickly swapped the tooth for the reward.  

He returned to his room and before I could sigh in relief, that he would find his reward after waking again.  He shouts, Mommy, Mommy!  The "tooth fairy was here. 

My academy award winning "act"

Yeah right, you didn't go back to sleep.  She's going to be here any minute and if she sees you awak .... He butts in ~ Mommy, she was here see.  Then he runs to the front door. 

I asked, baby where are you going?  He said, I think I saw her.

I laughed and decided to tell him the truth about the tooth fairy.  He was disappointed and animated about seeing her. I apologized and explained that's what parents do to help with bravery when it is time for the next tooth to be pulled.

We never did the "easter bunny thing" and at nearly 5 he had known about the Santa Clause myth.  One of his pre-k classmates spoiled the mystery for him.  I confirmed that it was true when he asked.  At that time, I explained parents made that one up to help little ones remember to be good all year to be rewarded on December 25th.

We even prayed about his future partner, before his 6th birthday.  This came about discussing Genesis.  "In the beginning ..." ... on the 6th day, man was made ...  I connected this with his upcoming 6th birthday at that time.  I told him his 6th birthday was like the age of man.  We prayed for his future partner to be heavenly made and she would be born when he turns 10 years old.

Every b'day I ask him about his future partner, from b'days 6 - 9 he would say she's not born yet.  On his 10th birthday, he said she's going to be born this year.  The next couple of b'days he gave snappy question on his birthday from 14 on.  I would tease him, "Are You Cheating on your future partner?"  He says no; however, what can one REALLY expect a little MAN to say to his mommy?  It is most often, what she wants to hear ~ right?

He is currently a high school senior, very independent, has a good entourage of friends and not a bit of trouble & the only one at home with me and daddy.  He has five adult siblings ( from 27 - 43 ).

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!