Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Doug Woodall

199 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
FBI warns of fake e-mail scam
11/23/2005 5:36:40 PM
A mass e-mail purportedly from the FBI is circulating online, carrying with it an attachment that contains a variant of the Sober computer virus. In an announcement today, the FBI advised computer users that the agency never sends unsolicited e-mails and that they should not open the attachments in the fraudulent messages. The scam e-mail tells recipients that their Internet use has been monitored by the FBI and that they have accessed illegal Web sites, according to the FBI. The e-mails, which are sent from e-mail addresses including mail@fbi.gov, post@fbi.gov and admin@fbi.gov, then direct recipients to open an attachment and answer questions. The text of the fake e-mails says: “We have logged your IP-address on more than 30 illegal Websites. Important: Please answer our questions! The list of questions are attached.” The messages then include a fake name of an FBI official and the real address and phone number of the agency. Catherine Milhoan, an FBI spokeswoman, said that recipients of the hoax e-mails began calling the FBI's Internet Crime Complaint Center yesterday to ask if they were legitimate. About 4,000 calls were received by last night, with some callers saying they had already clicked on the attachment. Others were cautious and wanted to check with the FBI before opening the attachment. An investigation into the incident is continuing. A similar incident occurred in February, when another fake message purporting to be from the FBI was sent to Internet users, she said. Those messages included similar wording but included the name of a different fake FBI employee. Recipients of the fake messages are being asked to report them online to the Internet Crime Complaint Center.
Doug Woodall SpywareBiz,,,We take the Spy out of Spyware! http://www.spywarebiz.com Providing Free Information and Recommended Products to Combat Spyware.
+0
Re: FBI warns of fake e-mail scam
11/23/2005 6:20:12 PM
Thanks Doug. I received one of these this morning and deleted it because I knew I hadn't been anywhere I shouldn't be so figured it must be a scam. I sure appreciate your warnings. The only way we can really be safe is to be knowledgable about these viruses and scams.
+0
Dave Cottrell

2802 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/23/2005 10:45:15 PM
Thanks Doug, I have already received and deleted this one. :) And the paypal and Ebay ones And the egold,etc ones And the Wells Fargo ones.... There seems to be no end to these nowadays. God bless, Dave
+0
11/24/2005 6:11:56 AM
Hey! I didn't get the Wells Fargo one yet. Why are they leaving me out? :-)
+0
Bo
Bo Tipton

70 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
11/24/2005 8:11:37 AM
The bad think abut having more then one email account is that you get more then one of these. They seem to not be slowing down so the FBI hasn't found who is doing it yet. Doug thank you once again for the timely information I appreciate it. Bo
Free Training on How To Make Money On The Internet http://100percentcommissiontraffic.com/?rid=2
+0