Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Re: And what about our children with mental illness
2/24/2006 12:42:21 PM
Hello Again Friends The following is yet another example of the determination that some people have with regard to getting thimerasol out of childhood vaccinations. I too am very determined to stop the practise of injecting our children with this poison. I hope that you are writting your congressmen and women about this matter. Everyone needs to do all they can to stop this terrible miscarriage of justice. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Congressman Dan Burton's Tribute to Liz Birt TRIBUTE TO ELIZABETH BIRT -- (Extensions of Remarks - February 15, 2006) SPEECH OF HON. DAN BURTON OF INDIANA IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 15, 2006 Mr. BURTON of Indiana. Mr. Speaker, it is with great sorrow that I rise today to pay tribute to a good friend and former member of my staff, Ms. Elizabeth Ann Birt, who died following an auto accident while on vacation in Colorado late last year. Liz is survived by her three children: Sarah, Matthew, and Andrew. In 1996, Liz's son Matthew was diagnosed with autism, a devastating neurological disorder that, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, now afflicts approximately 1 in 166 American children. My own grandson is autistic so I know first-hand how traumatic this news can be for parents of newly diagnosed autistic children. All too often, parents give up on the search for answers because raising a child with autism requires so much more time and energy than raising a so-called average child. Liz, however, did not back away from the fight. No matter how tired and discouraged she might have been, Liz was determined to show the world that one person can make a difference just by asking questions. Her courageous and infectious enthusiasm ignited a quest for truth and justice for the autistic children of this country. There can be no doubt that Liz fought hard for what she believed in and in the end, her brilliant mind, strong spirit, and passion for the truth made her a hero to the autism community. In fact, it is through her work on autism that I first came to know Liz; and not long after I became Chairman of the Government Reform Committee in 1997, I invited her to join my staff to help lead the Committee's investigation into the autism epidemic sweeping our country. As a valued legal advisor/investigator for the Committee, Liz helped us to elevate the level of public debate about this disease, as well as educate policymakers at all levels of government about the evolving science concerning the toxic effects of thimerosal--a mercury-based preservative commonly used in vaccines. Like many of us who have been involved in this debate over the years, when Liz first heard about the connection between autism and thimerosal, she was skeptical. But she read everything she could find, requested government documents and studies, and in the end became convinced that thimerosal was in fact the cause of her son Matthew's autism. Armed with this knowledge, Liz helped to co-write the groundbreaking congressional staff report, ``Mercury in Medicine--Taking Unnecessary Risks,'' published in the Congressional Record in 2003, which challenged the conventional thinking of the Federal Government, the public health systems, the medical communities, and the pharmaceutical companies on the subject of thimerosal and autism-spectrum disorders. In addition to her government service, Liz served the autism community through her leadership in many nonprofit organizations. As the co-founder of the ``Coalition for SafeMinds'' (Sensible Action for Ending Mercury-induced Neurological Disorders), founder of Medical Interventions for Autism, founding board member of the National Autism Association, and co-creator of the Extreme Sports Camp in Aspen, Colorado, Liz brought joy, hope, and inspiration to many autistic children and their parents. In addition, Liz was one of the founding members of the autism community's first political action organization, A-CHAMP (Advocates for Children's Health Affected by Mercury Poisoning). Liz was especially proud of this venture; and in a short period of time A-CHAMP has become one of the driving forces behind the growing and highly successful movement to ban mercury at the State level. I believe, as Liz did, that strong evidence points to the mercury unnecessarily used in vaccines as part of the autism problem, and that thimerosal played a key role in my grandson developing autism. The science is undeniable: mercury is a base element--and it remains a base element even when mixed with other materials--and the most toxic substance known to man outside of radioactive materials. The fact is that no one has ever identified a positive health benefit to mercury in the human body, and as more science accumulates and more people learn about the dangers of mercury, more time runs out for those who continue to advocate that mercury in vaccines and other medical devices is safe. Eventually, even they will have to admit that it flies in the face of logic to suggest, much less believe, that a substance so dangerously toxic outside the body is harmless once injected into the human body. Until that day comes, I know that I, and others like Liz who believe as I do, will not be silent about this issue or give up in our fight to make our world a safer and healthier place. And when that day does come, we will all owe a debt of gratitude to Liz Birt for leading the way and becoming a leader in a fight she would rather not have been fighting. Liz will be sadly missed by all who knew and loved her. I respectfully ask my colleagues to join me in sending their deepest sympathies and heartfelt prayers to Liz's family. May God bless them. May a smile follow you to sleep each night,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and be there waiting,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, when you awaken. Sincerly, Bill Vanderbilt Mental Health And Political Forums http://community.adlandpro.com/forumShow.aspx?ForumID=8212 http://community.adlandpro.com/forumShow.aspx?ForumID=9637 http://community.adlandpro.com/forumShow.aspx?ForumID=8259 http://community.adlandpro.com/forumShow.aspx?ForumID=13254 http://community.adlandpro.com/forumShow.aspx?ForumID=11791 Business Forums http://wv0079721.betteruniverse.com http://www.ourpowerforcedmatrix.com/team.php?UID=10561
May a smile follow you to sleep each night and,,,,,be there waiting,,,,,when you awaken http://community.adlandpro.com/forums/8212/ShowForum.aspx Sincerely, Billdaddy
+0
11/20/2006 10:46:04 PM
http://www.zeenews.com/znnew/articles.asp?rep=2&aid=336627&sid=ZNS

Hello Friends

You know, when it comes to children and mental illness, i think many of us concentrate a little too hard on trying to find specific causes for it that lie outside of our controll. It is a very delicate balancng act with regard to just how much responsibility parents have for the mental welfare of their children. I personally know many parents who are just full of guilt because they feel like there must have been something they did wrong or didn't do at all, that led to their childs disorder. Moreoften than not, I find that parents most likely could not have done anythng that would have assured their child of a happy , " normal life ". Then, there are those who have so obviously done things that very well may have had a negative impact on their childs mental health. Sometimes these are the ones who are speaking out the loudest against drugs and Dr's and therapy.

The following is some information about the lives  of children in India. A study of some of the causes and effects of mental disorders.

The right to childhood

By: Ritam Banati

Childhood is the basic right of every child. Therefore it is criminal if a child is deprived of this right on any grounds. Be it due to poverty, beggary, rag-picking, violence or anything for that matter that negates his/her growth as an individual.

Yet again a year has passed since November 20 of last year. November 20th of this year seems to be no different. If statistics are any indication, there are around 600 million children under the age of five across the world who live on less than one US dollar a day.

What is Universal Children’s Day?

When in 1954, the United Nations General Assembly proclaimed that this day would be Universal Children’s Day, it had the well-being of all of the world’s children in mind. There has not been any major breakthrough so far to boast about. This despite the fact that there are various agencies around the world which are working for the welfare of children. Various schemes that have been implemented like the Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan and the Mid-day Meal in India have achieved little to mitigate the suffering of the country’s children.

Labour

Even after child labour was banned in India in non-hazardous occupations also like working as a child domestic help, working in dhabas, hotels and factories the sordid saga continues. But whether this would help in any way in bettering the condition of the child through a proper rehabilitation procedure is yet to be seen. What to talk of India, child labour is a global problem. In India, children are also employed in hazardous industries like glass bangle-making and carpet-weaving and this is very dangerous. Statistics indicates that one in 12 children is forced to work. Labour, slavery and sexual exploitation is included in this. In Nepal alone the number of child workers is more than two million.

Malnutrition

Malnutrition among children is another biting problem that the underdeveloped and developing nations face. A developing country like India has the dubious distinction of being home to the largest number of the world’s malnourished children. As per a UNICEF report, South Asia alone comprises 46% underweight children. Not only this, nearly half of the world’s underweight kids live in India, Bangladesh and Pakistan.

Diseases

Another UNICEF report on `The state of children around the world` states that around 29,000 children below the age of five die daily across the globe due to diseases like diarrhoea, dehydration, respiratory infection and malaria, all of which could be prevented.

Child Abuse
http://www.zeenews.com/znnew/articles.asp?rep=2&aid=336627&sid=ZNS
May a smile follow you to sleep each night,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
           and be there waiting,,, when you awaken.

Sincerly, Bill Vanderbilt

Mental Health And Political Forums Respectively

Visit the Billallys Pub network at:
 http://pub-network.ryze.com
This is my best source for multiple streams of income. No Spam. No Scam
May a smile follow you to sleep each night and,,,,,be there waiting,,,,,when you awaken http://community.adlandpro.com/forums/8212/ShowForum.aspx Sincerely, Billdaddy
+0
12/24/2006 9:38:29 AM

Hello Everybody

Research is leaning more and more towards a multi faceted treatment program for troubled children. The evidence suggests that medication is not nessesarily the answer. In fact, in many cases, medication is not even part of the answer. Here are the results of some behaviorial modification studies. It seems that parents can really help their children by modifying their own behaviour as well as their childrens.

Troubled Children

Parenting as Therapy for Child’s Mental Disorders

Fabrizio Costantini for The New York Times

TJ Van de Wal’s attention deficit problems have improved in response to parenting techniques, his mother Dawn, right, said.

Article Tools Sponsored By
Published: December 22, 2006

Correction Appended

BUFFALO — In school he was as floppy and good-natured as a puppy, a boy who bear-hugged his friends, who was always in motion, who could fall off his chair repeatedly, as if he had no idea how to use one.

Skip to next paragraph

Troubled Children

Doses of Reality

This is the last in a series of articles about the increasing number of children whose problems are diagnosed as serious mental disorders. The earlier articles examined one family’s experience, the uncertainty of diagnosis, the use of combinations of psychiatric drugs and the transition to adulthood.

Previous Articles in the Series »

Readers' Opinions

Share Your Thoughts

Should parents avoid medication in the treatment of children who suffer from depression or other mood problems and focus on nondrug treatments, such as psychotherapy?

Fabrizio Costantini for The New York Times

"I don’t want him to look back and think the successes he’s had are all due to a drug," said Dawn Van De Wal, a mother of a child with attention deficit diagnosis.

But at home, after run-ins with his parents, his exuberance could turn feral. From the exile of his room, Peter Popczynski would throw anything that could be launched — books, pencils, lamps, clothes, toys — scarring the walls of the family’s brick bungalow, and leaving some items to rattle down the hallway, like flotsam from a storm.

The Popczynskis soon received a diagnosis for their son, attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder, or A.D.H.D., and were told that they could turn to a stimulant medication like Ritalin. Doctors have ample evidence that stimulants not only calm children physically but may also improve their school performance, at least for as long as they are on medication.

But like most other parents, the couple preferred to avoid drug treatment, if possible. Instead, with the guidance of psychologists at the University at Buffalo, they altered the way they interacted with Peter and his younger brother, Scott. And over the course of a difficult year, they brought about a transformation in their son. He still has days when he gets into trouble, like any other 10-year-old, but he no longer exhibits the level of restless distractibility that earned him a psychiatric diagnosis.

“People are so stressed out, and it’s so much easier to say, ‘Here, take this pill and go to your room; leave me alone,’ ” Lisa Popczynski said on a recent Monday after work. Peter sat on the couch, hunched over his homework, while her husband, Roman, occupied Scott, 8.

“But what I would say is that if you are willing to take on the responsibility of extra parenting, you can make a big difference,” said Ms. Popczynski, an interior designer. “I compare parenting to driving. We all learn pretty quickly how to drive a car. But if you have to drive a Mack truck, you’re going to need some training.”

In recent decades, psychiatry has come to understand mental disorders as a matter of biology, of brain abnormalities rooted in genetic variation. This consensus helped discredit theories from the 1960s that blamed the parents — usually the mother — for problems like neurosis, schizophrenia and autism.

By defining mental disorders as primarily problems of brain chemicals, the emphasis on biology also led to an increasing dependence on psychiatric drugs, especially those that entered the market in the 1980s and 1990s.

But the science behind nondrug treatments is getting stronger. And now, some researchers and doctors are looking again at how inconsistent, overly permissive or uncertain child-rearing styles might worsen children’s problems, and how certain therapies might help resolve those problems, in combination with drug therapy or without drugs.

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYBODY

May a smile follow you to sleep each night,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
           and be there waiting,,, when you awaken.

Sincerly, Bill Vanderbilt

Mental Health And Political Forums Respectively

Visit the Billallys Pub network at:
 http://pub-network.ryze.com
The following link is to a program that has been highly recommended to me by people that i know and trust. I have been unable to find anything negative about this company.
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!