Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Re: And what about our children with mental illness
10/28/2005 11:01:41 PM
Hi Lisa. A while back I met a couple of ladies who had children with Autism and I promised them that I would gather all of the information that I could find and post it so they could read it. Unfortunately though, I haven't heard from them in a long time. Maybe they were on LaNell's forum. I don't go to LaNells forums anymore so maybe you could just post this for me on one of her forums. You don't have to mention my name or anything. I just want these ladies to get this information. Thank You in advance my friend. The incidence of autism has increased from 1 in 10,000 in the 1970s to 1 in 150 today, an increase of over 6,000%. Many more children have been diagnosed with other neurodevelopmental disorders all considered to be on the same spectrum including Asperger's, ADHD/ADD, speech delay, and many other developmental delays and learning disabilities. "During these investigations, numerous scientists from around the globe have testified before the committee, and have presented credible peer-reviewed research studies that indicated a direct link between the exposure of mercury, a widely known neurotoxin, and the increasing incidences of autism." - Congressman Dan Burton (R-IN) Chairman, Subcommittee on Human Rights and Wellness, U.S. Congress Head of Three Year Congressional Investigation into Mercury In Medicine September 8, 2004 "It is the elimination of this "spark", i.e. mercury, for which we now have an easy and effective solution. Along with some supportive therapies, autism and certain other neurodegenerative diseases can be fully and permanently reversed. This is NOT a theory but rather, a protocol that has already been clinically validated and the evidence is irrefutable." - Dr. Rashid Buttar, DO, FAAPM, FACAM, FAAIM Vice Chairman, American Board of Clinical Metal Toxicologists Doctor of Toxicology, one of many physicians successfully treating children with Autism Spectrum Disorders Testimony Before Subcommittee on Human Rights and Wellness, U.S. Congress May 6, 2004 © 2005 Generation Rescue. All Rights Reserved.
May a smile follow you to sleep each night and,,,,,be there waiting,,,,,when you awaken http://community.adlandpro.com/forums/8212/ShowForum.aspx Sincerely, Billdaddy
+0
11/22/2005 10:33:25 AM
Hello Friends This is one of those forums that people sometimes visit but evidently don't like posting on. For those of you who do read this forum, I want you to know thqat I have a tremendous number of resources for information about mental illness and other disorders as well. If you have questions or just want to say something without letting your identity be known, I welcome you to send me a personal message or email at billyv5@yahoo.com or if you prefer, you can even call me at 724 872 0584. I will help you get information in any way I can. I will also honor your wish for privacy. If you need help with something please don't hesitate to contact me. The following is an article that I just recieved about Autism. I hope that if you have someone in your life with Autism, you will find this helpful Sincerly, Bill Vanderbilt Autism Spectrum Disorders You Are Here: BellaOnline > Health & Fitness > Autism Spectrum Disorders > Articles Bonnie Sayers BellaOnline's Autism Spectrum Disorders Editor The Autism Encyclopedia Every few months I check out the website for the library and use "autism" in my search to see what new releases they have received. Usually they are checked out and I need to place a hold on a copy from another branch since my location does not carry the latest book offerings on this topic. I was able to obtain a copy fairly quickly of The Autism Encyclopedia and now must return it for another person waiting to peruse through. The Editors of The Autism Encyclopedia are John T. Neisworth, Ph.D., Professor Emeritus and Pamela S. Wolfe, Associate Professor of Special Education. Both are with The Pennsylvania State University, which leaves no impression on me as I am not familiar with this University. There are nine pages listing the Contributors along with their affiliation and address. These do not include phone numbers or email addresses. Only a handful of these Contributors are familiar to me. These include Simon Baron-Cohen, Ph.D., Carol Gray, Catherine Lord, Ph.D., Donald J. Meyer, M.Ed., and Eric Schopler, Ph.D. A scan of the Contributors shows they are all professionals in the field, ranging from Psychology Fellow, Licensed Clinical Social Worker, Developmental Therapist, Graduate Student, Doctoral Candidate, Professor, Dean, Psychiatrist to Senior Therapist. The back cover of The Autism Encyclopedia states " More than 100 respected autism experts have contributed items from various disciplines". I have no clue who these people are and would like to see a list of who respects them and what makes them autism experts. The listing of Contributors lacks those on the Autism Spectrum like published authors and speakers on the topic. It is also evident that the book lacks any input from parents, who are the real autism experts. The topics listed on the back range from - diagnosis, early detection, legislation, research, signs and symptoms, education, interventions, diet, behavior and daily living. How exactly do these "autism experts" include items that relate to daily living when the parents and those on the Autism Spectrum are doing the living on a daily basis? While I do have issues pertaining to the Contributors of The Autism Encyclopedia, I still wanted to peruse through to see what terms were listed and if I could gain further insight into the terminology that is forever increasing and changing at the same time. Two therapies I lack experience in and would like to learn more about were not even listed in this 2005 book. That would be crano-sacral therapy and hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBOT). Also missing was the mention of chiropractor and developmental pediatrician, although neurologist was listed inside The Autism Encyclopedia. I have heard of many parents seeing a Chiropractor for their child on the Autism Spectrum. Here is a sampling of what will be found listed in The Autism Encyclopedia: amygdala bias clostridium tetani doman/delacato approach encopresis false-belief paradigm graduated guidance habit reversal itinerant teacher locomotion milieu teaching operant conditioning premack principle rumination statistical significance terminal behavior zero reject There are twenty-one pages of references, a screening and assessment tools and curricula - this is thirty pages for Appendix A. This includes the age and date. There are no corresponding websites or ISBN numbers to actually find these tools. Appendix B consists of fourteen pages. These do have websites, email addresses, fax numbers, address and phone numbers. Although The Autism Encyclopedia is marketed as a book for parents and professionals it is highly technical with lots of jargon that is not necessary for a family to have to sift through. At first I thought this would be a suitable book for a family to give to relatives to understand more about the terminology, but it could become overwhelming to see all these terms and wonder where they fit into the equation for a family member. There were many listings that should have been included that were overlooked, and these would be most helpful to families that actually are raising the children on the Autism Spectrum. Instead this reads more like a book that all the professionals who contributed could keep on their shelfs and use these words in assessments that have little meaning to the parents reading them. After reading through The Autism Encyclopedia over the last three weeks I feel this statement on the back cover is not exactly accurate, " This one-of-a-kind encyclopedia is a clear, comprehensive guide to the wide range of terminology related to autism spectrum disorders." It goes on to further state, " Every professional whose work involves autism spectrum disorders needs a copy of this essential resource - to keep on hand as a daily reference and to share with patients of children who have these complex disorders." I found the terminology itself to be complex and over the top. References going back to 1965 are really not necessary in 2005. If you want to market a book to assist families you need their input before the book is published. Here is an example from "naturalistic interventions - Techniques and/or strategies that occur in a natural environment (e.g., class-room home, community), rather than in a decontextualized setting" I have no idea what decontextualized setting means! My nine year-old son Matthew is nonverbal and I have yet to hear this term - " protodeclarative - Pertaining to early vocalizations or nonverbal language used by an individual to get another person to look at or listen to something." Another term referenced in that term is " Protoimperative - Pertaining to early vocalizations or nonverbal language used by an individual to get a person to obtain what is wanted; requests". Abbreviations are also listed - IFSP, IPE, UTP, IWRP, IPG, FBA, FCT, EO, BCABA, AT, IPG, LEA, NNP, SPECT, SEA, VB, CRC, TLK, VSM, TSS, ZPD. In my opinion the terms are geared for professionals, written by professionals. Perhaps it is time for the parents to offer their perspective in a similar compilation. At some point in time I will probably purchase a copy of The Autism Encyclopedia. I like the idea of utilizing some of the terms for meetings and to include in an IEP, stump the professionals or as some say the autism experts. Don't let my thoughts sway you away from purchasing your own copy of The Autism Encyclopedia and make up your own mind on whether these autism experts covered all the terms parents need to raise a child on the Autism Spectrum. This is available at Amazon. Stocking stuffers for children with Autism An impression of autism from a kid on the Spectrum Social Skills Assessment The DK Guide to Dinosaurs New Autism Spectrum Disorders Topics Holding down a job w/ special needs kids - MotherInterupted Waking up very early, new sleep pattern - BellaAutismHost An Israeli Mainstreaming success - BellaAutismHost The GOOD things about our "Special" kids - BellaAsthmaHost School District Crap - MotherInterupted Content copyright © 2001-2005 by Bonnie Sayers. All rights reserved. This content was written by Bonnie Sayers. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Bonnie Sayers for details. For FREE email updates, subscribe to the Autism Spectrum Disorders Newsletter
May a smile follow you to sleep each night and,,,,,be there waiting,,,,,when you awaken http://community.adlandpro.com/forums/8212/ShowForum.aspx Sincerely, Billdaddy
+0
11/23/2005 10:10:10 AM
Hello Julia I haven't heard much from you lately so I thought I would share a bit of joy with you just in case,,,,,, I have posted this on my Autism thread allredy but I wanted to make sure you got it. I hope you are well and happyand a good cook.Nobody likes burnt turkey LOL Greetings My Friends If one were to set out looking for the more beautiful side of life, even the lighter, less painful side of dibilitating illness, no matter how long the journey, the joy awaiting is well worth the effort. The main ingrediants of this story are, a very ill child, a very loving family and an organization of people who go far beyond the realm of life that most of us are familiar with. Please share this story with someone you care about. Sincerly, Bill Vanderbilt RICK RUNION/THE LEDGER Travis Tyler, center, of Polk City, requires 24-hour nursing care to manage his breathing after coming down with viral pneumonia in January. His mother, Victoria Montoya, right, and sister, Vanessa Tyler, help to take care of him, but Montoya has had to sideline her business since he got sick. TO CONTRIBUTE This holiday appeal marks the 37th year of The Ledger's Newspaper with a Heart campaign. The Ledger pays all administrative costs. Gifts are tax deductible. Checks must be made payable to Newspaper with a Heart. They may be sent to P.O. Box 408, Lakeland, FL 33802. TO APPLY FOR HELP All applications for Newspaper with a Heart are initially processed by United Way of Central Florida's Information and Referral Service. Applicants need to have available such personal information as Social Security numbers, salary pay stubs and other documentation supporting needs. To apply, call 863-648-1515 or 800-881-8929 weekdays from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Newspaper with a Heart's registration number with the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services is CH12293. RELATED ARTICLES Single Mom Needs Help After Injury Nov 23, 05 Poor Health, Storms Leave Family in Bind Nov 21, 05 Program Helps Polk Residents in Need Nov 20, 05 Lakeland Man Gets Lung Transplants, Sinks Into Debt Nov 20, 05 Heart Fund-Raiser Helps Hundreds Apr 10, 05 Mother Had to Change Address To Bring Her Disabled Son Home Feb 27, 05 Vision Problems Only Led to Other Troubles Feb 20, 05 Rare Disorder Reverses Toddler's Progress Feb 13, 05 Man Faces Stomach Cancer, Job Loss and Mounting Bills Feb 6, 05 Newspaper With a Heart Donors Feb 3, 05 More Articles > Published Tuesday, November 22, 2005 NEWSPAPER WITH A HEART Boy With Autism and Down Syndrome Fights Serious Illness By Eric Pera The Ledger POLK CITY Raising Travis Tyler has been a challenge, but one that his mother, Victoria Montoya, never shied from. Travis, 14, has Down syndrome and is autistic. He can be funny and playful one minute, and solemn, even angry, the next. He greets strangers with a smile and a firm handshake, but sometimes meeting new faces taxes his abilities and he withdraws. "He communicates some, but he's very easily overstimulated," said Montoya, 50, who also has a daughter, Vanessa, 16. "He can be a very silly little boy, he laughs, he's funny," the single mother said. Montoya said her marriage came apart over what was in Travis' best interests. "We disagreed how to raise him," she said of her ex-husband, whom she married 1991 and divorced two years later. "He wanted him in an institution; I wanted him home with me." Montoya, a former actress whose resume includes hundreds of commercials and walk-on roles for television shows like "Miami Vice," was left alone to raise her children. She does receive child support for her son -- $75 a month -- which supplements his Social Security benefit of slightly more than $160 a month. But with a child like Travis, health is always an issue. While the disorder causes mild to severe developmental delays, it can cause a variety of health problems. In January, after a case of flu, Travis contracted viral pneumonia and was hospitalized for eight days at Lakeland Regional Medical Center. But his health continued downhill, and in March, his lungs collapsed. Hospitalized for more than three months, Travis finally is on the mend, although he requires 24-hour nursing to manage his breathing through a tracheal tube. Throughout her son's medical emergency, Montoya had to sideline her business of managing permitting and other services related to home construction. That loss of earnings prompted her request for assistance with household expenses through The Ledger's Newspaper with a Heart program. Now in its 37th year, the program gives direct assistance to people who have fallen on hard times by way of illness, injury or loss of job. Families featured in Ledger articles are but a fraction of those who receive help through contributions made to the Heart fund. The Ledger pays for all administrative costs, so that every dollar goes to serve the people in need. Each case is screened by United Way's Information and Referral Service, then pored over by a committee of social services experts representing Catholic Charities, Lake Wales Care Center, the Salvation Army and others. Montoya's household now includes a nurse, who is qualified to keep watch over her son's oxygen machine and the breathing tube in his neck, which must be cleaned and changed regularly. The nurse, who is paid through Medicaid, also follows Travis to school at the Karen Siegel Academy in Lake Alfred, which works with the developmentally disabled. But there's a shortage of in-home nursing care, so Montoya and her daughter, who have received some medical training, often are alone to watch Travis on weekends. The job is complicated by Travis' autism. "His psychiatrist described it to me; he's afraid of everything," Montoya said. "They live in a world of complete terror, and only when things are completely familiar can he relax." But it would be much more difficult without help from her daughter, Vanessa. "You have to have pounds and pounds of patience," Montoya said. "People ask, `How do you do it?' It's normal to us." Eric Pera can be reached ateric.pera@theledger.com or 863-802-7528. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Sincerly, Bill Vanderbilt/Fanbelt Mental Health And Political Forums http://community.adlandpro.com/forumShow.aspx?ForumID=10129 http://community.adlandpro.com/forumShow.aspx?ForumID=9637 http://community.adlandpro.com/forumShow.aspx?ForumID=8212 http://community.adlandpro.com/forumShow.aspx?ForumID=7420 http://community.adlandpro.com/forumShow.aspx?ForumID=8259 The Most Advanced VOIP System Available https://wv0079721.betteruniverse.com/members/index.php?action=buy_miphone Better Universe.The People Helping People Co http://wv0079721.betteruniverse.com Mental
+0
11/24/2005 5:38:44 PM
Hello Friends Allthough this article was intended for British readers, I believe that the situation is relavent world wide. I will continue to gather information from around the world in hopes of finding answers to our questions about the mental health of our children. There is something different in society now that is causing our children to act much differently than did the children of say, the 60's or 70's. We have to find out what is different because our children are killing themselves and other children at alarming rates. You thoughts on this matter are more than welcome on this forum. Thank You Sincerly, Bill Vanderbilt Mental Health And Political Forums http://community.adlandpro.com/forumShow.aspx?ForumID=10129 http://community.adlandpro.com/forumShow.aspx?ForumID=9637 http://community.adlandpro.com/forumShow.aspx?ForumID=8212 http://community.adlandpro.com/forumShow.aspx?ForumID=7420 http://community.adlandpro.com/forumShow.aspx?ForumID=8259
+0
11/26/2005 1:25:22 AM
Down syndrome is a genetic disorder that causes mental retardation and other problems. The condition varies in severity, so developmental problems may range from mild to serious. It's named after John Langdon Down, the doctor who first identified the syndrome. Down syndrome is the most common genetic cause of severe learning disabilities in children, occurring in one in every 800 infants. Every year, as many as 5,000 babies are born with Down syndrome in the United States. There's no medical cure for this condition. But increased understanding of Down syndrome and early interventions are making a big difference in the lives of both children and adults with Down syndrome. Signs and symptoms Children with Down syndrome have a distinct facial appearance. Though not all children with Down syndrome have the same features, some of the more common features are: Flattened facial features Protruding tongue Small head Upward slanting eyes, unusual for the child's ethnic group Unusually shaped ears Children with Down syndrome may also have: Poor muscle tone Broad, short hands with a single crease in the palm Relatively short fingers Excessive flexibility Infants born with Down syndrome may be of average size, but typically they grow slowly and remain smaller than other children of similar age. Children with Down syndrome also have some degree of mental retardation, usually ranging from mild to moderate. Down syndrome ARTICLE SECTIONS Overview Signs and symptoms Causes Risk factors Screening and diagnosis Complications Treatment Prevention Coping skills Causes CLICK TO ENLARGE The genetic basis of Down syndrome Human cells normally contain 23 pairs of chromosomes. One chromosome in each pair comes from your father, the other from your mother. Down syndrome is caused by three types of abnormal cell division involving the 21st chromosome. All three abnormalities result in extra genetic material from chromosome 21, which is responsible for the characteristic features and developmental problems of Down syndrome. The three genetic variations that can cause Down syndrome include: Trisomy 21. More than 90 percent of cases of Down syndrome are caused by trisomy 21. A child with trisomy 21 has three copies of chromosome 21 — instead of the usual two copies — in all of his or her cells. This form of Down syndrome is caused by abnormal cell division during the development of the sperm cell or the egg cell. Mosaic Down syndrome. In this rare form of Down syndrome, children have some cells with an extra copy of chromosome 21, but not all. This mosaic of normal and abnormal cells is caused by abnormal cell division after fertilization. Translocation Down syndrome. Down syndrome can also occur when part of chromosome 21 becomes attached (translocated) onto another chromosome, before or at conception. Children with translocation Down syndrome have the usual two copies of chromosome 21, but they also have additional material from chromosome 21 stuck to the translocated chromosome. This form of Down syndrome is uncommon. There are no known behavioral or environmental factors that cause Down syndrome. Is it inherited? Most cases of Down syndrome aren't inherited. They're caused by a mistake in cell division during the development of the egg, sperm or embryo. Translocation Down syndrome is the only form of the disorder that can be passed from parent to child. However, only about 4 percent of children with Down syndrome have translocation. And only about half of these cases are inherited from one of the parents. In these cases, the mother or father is a balanced carrier of the translocation, which means he or she has some rearranged genetic material, but no extra genetic material. A balanced carrier has no signs or symptoms of Down syndrome, but he or she can pass the translocation on to children. The chance of passing on the translocation depends on the sex of the parent who carries the rearranged chromosome 21: If the father is the carrier, the risk if about 3 percent. If the mother is the carrier, the risk is about 12 percent. PREVIOUSNEXT: Risk factors ARTICLE TOOLS Print this section | All sections Larger type more information By Mayo Clinic Staff Nov 15, 2005 © 1998-2005 Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research (MFMER). All rights reserved. A single copy of these materials may be reprinted for noncommercial personal use only. "Mayo," "Mayo Clinic," "MayoClinic.com," "Mayo Clinic Health Information," "Reliable information for a healthier life" and the triple-shield Mayo logo are trademarks of Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research. DS00182 About this site ·Site help ·Contact us ·e-Newsletter ·Site map Privacy policy updated Oct 7, 2005 Terms and conditions of use updated Jun 3, 2004 LEGAL CONDITIONS AND TERMS OF USE APPLICABLE TO ALL USERS OF THIS SITE. ANY USE OF THIS SITE CONSTITUTES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF USE. © 1998-2005 Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research. All rights reserved. Mayo Clinic Medical Services | MayoClinic.com Bookstore Diseases & ConditionsDrugs & SupplementsTreatment DecisionsHealthy LivingAsk a SpecialistHealth Tools Home Log in Register now DISEASES & CONDITIONS Advertising and sponsorship policy Nov 26, 2005 PREVIOUSNEXT: Causes ARTICLE TOOLS Print this section | All sections Larger type more information NEXT: Signs and symptoms ARTICLE TOOLS Print this section | All sections Larger type more information
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!