Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Re: Bible Verse Contest- word of the week _HUMILITY 07/09-15/09
8/12/2009 8:28:13 AM
Here is six ways to learn about Humility According to Confucius, humility is the solid foundation of all virtues. Most of the world’s religions value humility above other qualities. In fact, Jesus said that the meek shall inherit the earth, and then proceeded to live a life of humility. What is this amazing quality that has attracted us since ancient days, yet sometimes seems so unattainable? Humble, modest and unpretentious behavior embodies the definition of humility. Not overestimating your position in society, along with an absence of pride, also exemplifies true humility. From this definition, it is no wonder that humility seems so difficult to acquire for most of us. What Humility is Not Concepts can be easier to comprehend by knowing what they’re not. One of the greatest impediments to humility is being judgmental. We may long to be humble, but if we transfer our longing to expecting others to behave like us, then we miss the whole point. Humility also doesn’t allow room for vanity. Being self-consumed leaves no room for humble behavior. However, being a doormat doesn’t demonstrate humility either. People who treasure humility also understand the value of all human life, including their own. Demonstrating Humility The habit of showing humility can begin with small steps. Start by making certain behaviors a habit and before you know it, you’ll be demonstrating it without even knowing it. Choose one of these areas to start finding humility: The Words You Say Blaise Pascal, a mathematician and spiritual philosopher, once expressed it as, “Do you wish people to think well of you? Don’t speak well of yourself.” When speaking with other people, addressing their lives and thoughts before your own demonstrates humbleness. Avoiding behavior such as boasting, bragging and valuing your opinion above others, and you’ll start to see more humility develop in your life. How You Treat Others Humility is diametrically opposed to societal and economic rank. Even age doesn’t prevent the humble person from relating to others. Gandhi, an example of almost perfect humility, didn’t treat the elderly or children any different than other people. Treating each person as someone of value – despite their position in society, profession, age or economic status – demonstrates great humility. How You Treat Yourself Humility requires you to value yourself, but not spoil yourself. That may sound odd, but just as there’s nothing worse than a spoiled child, a person who gives in to her own desires continually develops self-centered behavior patterns. Humility grows when you don’t constantly give into your own whims. Respecting yourself involves refraining from unhealthy and superficial behavior. Being obsessed with your appearance, your own opinions or material possessions set up roadblocks to humility. Making a Paradigm ShiftIn his book, The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People, Stephen Covey discusses paradigm shifts, which are changes in perception and preconceived notions. Humility requires large paradigm shifts for most people because our perceptions are based on what we think. In his book, Covey offers an example of him being on a subway when a man enters with two rowdy, ill-behaved boys. Covey politely asks the man why he doesn’t address the boys’ behavior. When the man tells him that they were returning from the hospital where their mother had died the hour before, Covey’s total perception changes. He moves from being annoyed to sympathetic. People who practice humility understand the value of a paradigm shift and the importance of not relying on previously developed attitudes. The more you practice humility, the greater part of your personality it will become. Aristotle is credited with noting, “We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.” Humility may begin as an act, but when it becomes a habit, positive life changes occur. Those changes not only impact the quality of your life, but also the lives of those around you. The Results of HumilityLiving a life with a sincere spirit of humility can result in many positive experiences and personality traits, including the following: * Humble people often handle challenging situations with a greater sense of peace because they tend to respond rather than react to life’s challenges. * Serving others in humility reduces focus on your own problems and weaknesses. When you begin responding to other people with compassion and humbleness, you’ll find that they’ll want to spend more time with you. * Humility is an awesome networking tool, although humble people don’t tend to think of it that way. As you demonstrate humility, you’ll attract others because they’ll feel comfortable around you and seek your wisdom. Wisdom is often considered relative to humility. * Most often, humble people seem wiser because they listen well and don’t speak without great thought. Unwise people tend to speak impulsively, spouting out whatever is on their mind without first considering the value of their words. * Humility also leads others to seeing you as a trustworthy person as they realize your main goals are not self-motivated. * Leadership with humility creates loyalty. Humble leaders understand that they are nothing without those working with them. They don’t strive to make themselves look successful, but revel in the success of others. Roadblocks to HumilitySome specific behaviors and character traits impede a person’s ability to be humble. As these behaviors and traits are eliminated, humility will have room to grow. Pride Often seen as the arch enemy of humility, pride prevents a person from growing in a spirit of humility. The basic problem with pride is that it’s focused on self rather than others. If you have issues with being prideful, you’ll need to address those issues before you can strive for humility. Insecurity This trait also opposes humility because of an unhealthy self-centeredness. Insecure people lack confidence because they spend too much time examining themselves. Overconfidence Derived from the same self-centeredness as insecurity, this quality leads a person in the opposite direction. Selfishness As long as you strive to meet your own needs and desires before having concern for others, humility will be a distant dream. Help Finding Humility Gandhi once said, “It is unwise to be too sure of one’s own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err.” True wisdom is more related to listening and serving others than building up your esteem. Humility requires a sacrifice of pride and a paradigm switch away from self-centeredness. In a world that encourages self-indulgence and material wealth, humility may be challenging to acquire. Yet, the benefits including peace, wisdom, healthier relationships and the respect of others certainly outweighs the sacrifice. Are You Green Thumb Material? Did you help your parents take care of a garden when you were a child? Do you like the aromas that a garden cared for by someone with a green thumb provides? Do you stop to talk with the other green thumbs and look at the gardening section of the home improvement store? Are you more likely to bring every plant to glorious bloom or are you more likely to kill everything in sight? Take this quiz to see if you are ready for a nursery of your own. Rate This Article: Currently 3/5 Stars.12345(Votes: 48) (Avg: 3.63) Provided by:dictionary.com
+0
8/12/2009 8:38:00 AM
Hello Thomas, this is what happens when one has time in thier hands..........lol These are some quotes about humility! Abraham Lincoln: Nobody has ever expected me to be president. In my poor, lean lank face nobody has ever seen that any cabbages were sprouting. Albert Einstein: No amount of experimentation can ever prove me right; a single experiment can prove me wrong. Alexander Pope: Do good by stealth, and blush to find it fame. Barack Obama: Who is Barack Obama? Contrary to the rumors you have heard, I was not born in a manger. I was actually born on Krypton and sent here by my father Jor-El to save the Planet Earth. Many of you know that I got my name, Barack, from my father. What you may not know is Barack is actually Swahili for 'That One.' And I got my middle name from somebody who obviously didn't think I'd ever run for president. If I had to name my greatest strength, I guess it would be my humility. Greatest weakness, it's possible that I'm a little too awesome. [Al Smith Dinner, October 2008] Blaise Pascal: Do you wish people to think well of you? Don't speak well of yourself. Confucius: Humility is the solid foundation of all virtues. Dag Hammarskjold: Never, "for the sake of peace and quiet," deny your own experience or convictions. Frank Lloyd Wright: Early in life I had to choose between honest arrogance and hypocritical humility. I chose honest arrogance and have seen no occasion to change. Helen Keller: I long to accomplish a great and noble tasks, but it is my chief duty to accomplish humble tasks as though they were great and noble. The world is moved along, not only by the mighty shoves of its heroes, but also by the aggregate of the tiny pushes of each honest worker. Keshavan Nair: With courage you will dare to take risks, have the strength to be compassionate, and the wisdom to be humble. Courage is the foundation of integrity. Mohandas K. Gandhi: It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err. Rachel Carson: It is a wholesome and necessary thing for us to turn again to the earth and in the contemplation of her beauties to know of wonder and humility. Ralph Waldo Emerson: Religion is to do right. It is to love, it is to serve, it is to think, it is to be humble. William Wordsworth: Written in Early Spring I heard a thousand blended notes While in a grove I sate reclined, In that sweet mood when pleasant thoughts Bring sad thoughts to the mind. To her fair works did Nature link The human soul that through me ran; And much it grieved my heart to think What Man has made of Man
+0
Thomas Richmond

15469 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/12/2009 1:32:26 PM

Thank you Baruch? Welcome to Adlandpro!

thank you for the scripture,

God_bless you

and remember,

you can come back and post as many times as you want. :)

AT YOUR SERVICE. Drop A Line With The Pros!! http://www.goneclicking.com/?rid=7178 http://www.protrafficshop.com/?rid=5719 Chief Administrator & Support
+0
Thomas Richmond

15469 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/12/2009 1:33:29 PM

Your just so full of wisdom this week Nimi :)

wow how cool are you!!

AT YOUR SERVICE. Drop A Line With The Pros!! http://www.goneclicking.com/?rid=7178 http://www.protrafficshop.com/?rid=5719 Chief Administrator & Support
+0
Donald Rich

1529 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
8/12/2009 6:10:32 PM
Thank You Thomas, I wasn't Looking for a prize, I was just having fun. But I can use Advertizing.
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!