Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Joyce Parker Hyde

1967 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Cat Toys
8/6/2009 5:58:39 PM
I like this article because it talks about making your own.

A lot of new cat owners will give their new kitties or cats things to play with, without realizing they could be unsafe. Kittens are just like children and will play and pull on things that can come lose in their mouths.

When buying cat toys, make sure that the eyes and ears on the toy mice are sewn on and not just glued into place.  Glued eyes and ears can come off easily if they get wet or are played with roughly.

Make sure any bells, or small decorations are secured tightly and that there aren't any sharp edges or angles. You don't want to have any small objects that would be easy for a kitty to swallow or choke on.

Making your own cat toys can be so easy and much safer than store bought toys.  An easy fun filled idea is to take an old sock and fill it with half fiber fill pillow stuffing and the other half with organic catnip.  Tie the sock closed with string and leave a long piece of string to pull the toy with.  Your cat will chase this for hours!  Or tie the toy onto a solid object like a metal stair banister at the bottom of the stairs, and your cat will entertain themselves for hours.

The best homemade cat toy in the world is a toy tied by a string to the end of a wooden or heavy plastic dowel. The dowel can be used like a fishing pole and  you can use it to pop the toy up and down in the air, and watch them try and catch it!  It is such fun to watch your cat go through all the antics of trying to catch that mouse.

It's great exercise for your cat, and it's so rewarding to know you made a toy that makes your cat or kitten so happy.

For more homemade cat toy ideas go see Organic Catnip Toys

http://www.organiccatniptoys.com

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Karen_Gall

---------------------------------------------------------

Of course, Ms Cali owns almost every toy Walmart puts out but her most favorite thing to play with is the unfortunate cockroach that mistakenly tries to take a shortcut through her space.
I have learned that these critters can play dead for hours waiting until the coast is clear and then try to make a run for it. When she catches one she promptly brings it to my bed to present as a trophy-so I shriek, jump and throw it off and the chase is on.
She prefers the pink fuzzie to the green one.
I assume this because the green one is always under or behind something and the pink one is always out where she can play with it.
She doesn't really get excited about the toys she liked as a kitty - but they are hers - and she moves them to a different hiding place every so often just the same.

+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: Cat Toys
8/6/2009 7:00:10 PM

Hi,

Our old cat still loves to play but finds many toys too exhausting. He loves to chase the light from my laser level.

Be careful if you try this not to shine into trhe cats eyes, the're very sensitive.

He loves this game as I can make it disappear and reappear where I like.

Roger

+0
Kathleen Vanbeekom

13305 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/6/2009 7:09:36 PM

Thanks, Joyce!

Cats also love to play with those plastic circles from the top of milk cartons.  There are several of those all over our house.

I didn't know the big crunchy bugs like to play dead, that's horribly bad news, I don't have any but have bad memories of growing up in the Philly area, eeeewww....my parents always called them "waterbugs" to make them sound less offensive. 

My cat once left a big dead Junebug near my bed so I saw it first thing in the morning.  They are slow-moving and can fly, unfortunately, like the Volkswagon of bugs, with big furry antennas.

+0
Donna Zuehl

2077 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/6/2009 9:40:52 PM
Hi Joyce, Thanks for the interesting article about cat toys. My two male cats like to play with toy mice but their favorite toy is small pom-pom balls that they carry around in their mouth, then bat around and hide. My oldest female doesn't play any more. She is about 13 years old and sleeps a lot. The little persian plays a little, but is intimidated by the males taking her toys away from her as soon as she tries to play with something. Of course, the all-time favorite of my males is the live mice they bring up from the basement and chase around the house for hours, until the mouse dies of fright, or until it slows down enough for my husband to catch it and put it outside. DonnaZ
+0
Joyce Parker Hyde

1967 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/8/2009 2:42:22 PM
Cali must have known we were talking about toys - she found an old one that she never did like because it didn't 'do' anything!
It's just a round mouse looking thing that she has discovered she could bat around like a soccer ball.
She used to love the laser mouse - but she will just sit and follow it with her eyes now-much too sophisticated for that baby toy:)

I haven't seen any evidence of mice around for a while but-who knows.
Oh Kathleen - waterbugs are different from cockroaches-they have those big alien heads-ewwwwwwwwwwwwe.

Now here's a  kicker  the city opened an Insectarium and people pay money to go there and they even (I'm told) have ones they pay to eat-they could have come here and gotten all they want for free.

There is no accounting for taste- double ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwe!

Thanks Donna and Roger for your input, it makes me smile thinking about you and your babies:)
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!