Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: THE NORTHERN RENAISSENCE - HIERONYMUS BOSCH
6/30/2009 6:46:07 PM

Hello Luis,

here is a little poem which you inspired with your forum.

I dedicate this to you and to art.

Roger

I Like to Think So

(c) Roger Macdivitt 2009

What is it that flows from this pen?

Mere ink? Mere thoughts? More?

What of the value, who will decide?

Would I die for mere words, personally crafted?

No, but for the right to express myself,

I like to think so.

What is it that flies from this chisel?

Mere stone? Mere dust? More?

What of the result? Sculpture or dross?

Would I die for my stone, lovingly wrought?

No, but for the right to make a statement?

I like to think so.

What is it that my brush transfers?

Colourful Paint?, Bright Ideas, More?

My work, merited, understood, by whom and when?

Would I die for my canvas, daubed?

No, but for the freedom to work so,

I like to think so.

What is it that leaves my piano’s strings?

Is it a note, a chord or a concerto?

Inspired, learned or improvised?

Would I die to play?

No, but I’d die for the right to share.

I like to think so.

What is it that flows from true art?

Is it soul? A message? Something beyond?

Profound, disturbing or revealing.

Would I die to save my art?

No. But I’d die to defend art’s future.

I like to think so.

+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: THE NORTHERN RENAISSANCE - HIERONYMUS BOSCH
6/30/2009 10:40:41 PM

Dear Roger,

I don't know how to thank you for dedicating your poem to me and my forum. The more I read it, the more I realize what a great poet you are. If that "little" poem was the only thing you had created, it would have earned you already the right to be counted among the great poets of this world.

Reading your previous post, which I decided to let sink for a couple of days before commenting it, I had come to an interesting conclusion. Note that while I deeply admire the English language, I also believe real good poetry can actually be translated into other languages and keep almost intact its beauty and qualities. But your general reasoning also impressed me deeply. Maybe some need a greater challenge to bring out their best.

Other sentences made me think you might have found such challenge. I mean, your admiration of Bosch and the community of intention between you two could be all you needed to bring out your best.

The remaining sentences in your post are to me a life statement that honors you no less than the whole humanity in their nobility and beauty. I don't need to transcribe them all to show this clearly. I intend to use this gift both for my fulfillment and also, hopefully, to benefit others... I so resonated with you in your remaining statements. Like you, how I would love to know that I left behind a gift to the world like Hieronymus Bosch did!

Without insisting too much on this, I would say you essentially are a teacher, a instructor of the world. Your poem clearly shows that. But the formal beauty of each stance also reveals the work of an artist, a great artist; and I am absolutely sincere in saying this.

I don't know why, but your poem has made me think of a book that used to be my favorite until not many years ago. It is The Glass Bead Game by Herman Hesse. Have you read it? The main character, a Hero in the true sense, is a peaceful and scholarly master player of a sort of illusory game, the "glass bead game," in Castalia, a city and University which may be thought of to represent the world. I don't remember exactly, but maybe he is an admirer of a great painter of yore, Hieronymus Bosch. And he is a great artist, in the way a great chess master can be an artist. Each and every game he plays (or rather, that he composes) is a work of art. At its highest, the game may be said to represent a huge cosmic drama in which Life and Death, creation and destruction are ever present; however, their peaceful greatness leaves no room to any ugliness. They are of a crystaline beauty. They are like Music. The whole world watches the game in the person of his teachers and mates, who monitor and reproduce its incidences. In time, he becomes the Head of the University of Castalia; but then he renounces to become the preceptor of his best friend's son... I will not tell you the end, you might want to read it if you haven't yet.

You see? Your poem, I Like To Think So, has made me think of all this. Like "The Glass Bed Game," it is as great as the world.

But it's a little late and I am now going to bed. I am feeling a little tired after the lots of things I have done today. Maybe I will dream of some glass bead game... I have been set in the right mood by you.

Best Wishes,

Luis Miguel Goitizolo

PS. I will copy and treasure your poem forever. The more I read it, the more I love it.

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+0
Branka Babic

2716 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/1/2009 12:12:18 AM

Hello Roger and Luis Miguel,

I SPENT ALL MY EARLY MORNING TIME trying to post here my delight by what the two of you have done here. My connection was interrupted each time when I was close to the end of my writings.

Knowing that our thoughts/words are an angels ... I know the both of you would be "fondled" by their wings invisibly.

So, that pleasant feeling what the both of you have experienced after posting last two posts, and before reading this mine, were my Angels of Gratitude sent to find you.

HOW AMAZING TOPICS AND EACH ONE POST HERE ! Even those short, just leaving the sign one has visited this Gallery .... even they come as the joints in this beautiful topic body.

Miguel, My favorite El Bosco`s painting is The Outer Wings.

All of his pics are a true master-works, but this one shows to me HIS PROFOUND UNDERSTANDING of the life and , unlike my Luka .... I am amazed with all what he has done.

El Bosco didn`t criticize HUMAN SINS, but basic religious luck of sincerity and understanding/accepting the  things which create Garden of Earthly Delights.

HE IS SO DEEP AND AWAKEN !

This pics which I consider as my favorite, shows THAT THE SPLIT LINE , WHICH ENABLES BIPOLARITY, BEGINS WITH THE THIRD DAY OF CREATION. What this third day is ?

Human EMOTIONAL life .

Bosch`s message is great.

Luka was right just in one thing : Bosh really strongly points St. John Baptist as one bigger, in an eyes of beholder, that the Lamb. Must admit that never have thought about any difference between Jesus and St. John Baptist, and in those matters I am now grateful to Luka for encompassing things which I couldn`t .

OMG!

I`d post now what has been written and would leave you until next opportunity to dive into this beauty left at this topic.

ROGER .... you`re just amazing!

Love and blessings,

Branka

+0
Judy Smith

4550 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/2/2009 6:04:28 PM

All I can say is WOW!  I fell on this thread by accident, and cannot believe how long I have spent here.  I am fascinated with all of the post and pictures.

Luis Miguel,

I had not heard much of Hieronymus Bosch, and now find myself in awe of his work.  Thank you so much.  I have so enjoyed learning of him and his captivating work.  His detail is amazing especially considering the era in which he did this work.  I so love the Christian theme that runs through his paintings too.

Again,

Thanks for a very informative forum.

Judy

+1
Cheryl Baxter

2279 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/3/2009 5:30:47 PM
Hello Luis Miguel,

I just wanted to post a comment on Roger's poem he left you.   You are so right...what a great poem!  I loved it and it speaks so clearly for creativity.  We humans have been endowed with such a wide range for creative design & expression.  It is my sincere belief that this same creativity we have been given, has been inherited from God himself.   Without creative expression a society has no depth or vision.  Our future as a civilization depends on creativity and the people who are so gifted at expressing it.  It's so interesting that many schools when their budgets get over burdened cut out these kinds of programs first.  It's too bad that creativity isn't seen for what it is by many.   As for me, I believe it is the word crafters, painters, sculptors, musicians  (& all those who express themselves artistically) are the ones to whom is given a vision for the future.  For without them, we are emotionless robots who don't have the capacity to enjoy the passions that life offers through nature and our interactions with it.  Of course God is a God who has designed scientific discovery as well, & here I am talking about the scientists of old like Copernicus, Galileo, Pastuer, etc.  They all believed in a universe that was designed by a creator.  A designer who gifted us with this same affinity for design & creative expression.  What a wonder. 

Thank you Luis for this forum & thank you Sir Roger for your beautiful poem!

Have a blessed weekend!

Also, Happy July 4th to all who are in the US.  I am thankful for those who gave their lives for the freedoms that I so enjoy!  Have a great celebration!

Cheryl :-)

http://texasgalswholesaleproperties.com "browse our current properties" http://fortworthwholesaleproperty.com "check out our real estate blog" http://mydiscountchristianbooks.com "online bibles, books, music, more"
+1

facebook
Like us on Facebook!