Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
John Leal

1107 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
Re: How our students are being dumbed down by political correctness.
5/13/2009 5:46:11 PM

Hi Phil

As you are aware, in our day we learned by rote, but we did learn, that's the difference. "Five one's are five, five two's are ten..." you get the drift.

You missed an example:
'The lights are on but there's nobody home'.

Cheers mate!
+0
John Leal

1107 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
5/13/2009 5:51:36 PM

Hi Peter

Makes you wonder where it's all going to end? But on saying that, I think the message is getting through down here as local employers are beginning to complain about the maths ability of some young job applicants for carpentry and building apprenticeships.
+0
John Leal

1107 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
5/13/2009 6:07:31 PM

Hi Roger

We had a lady here called Pauline Hanson who did launch a new political called the 'One Nation Party' to take on the two party monopoly. She wanted to restrict foreigners from taking Aussie jobs and turn around all boats containing illegal immigrants in mid ocean, amongst other policies. Of course she was pushed into oblivion for rocking the boat, excuse the pun.
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/14/2009 5:38:51 PM

Hi John & Everyone,

This also happens to be an especially touchy subject for me as well.  I wonder if the deterioration continnues, who is going to be smart enough to continue working so I can draw my Social Security?  Seriously though, it's sad to think of another five to ten years down the road and the kind of world our Grandchildren are inheriting.

I am also fond of the "Ignorance is Bliss" saying Peter.  Have to say that I have met a lot more "Bliss-tered" people in the recent years.

There's also an explanation about Blondes here somewhere.  Seems that when the Good Lord was passing out Brains, the Blonde thought that she heard Him say Trains and she asked for a slow one, so that she could enjoy the ride.  

Finally, speaking of Math, this reminded me of a cute Joke that I heard the other day...

A young boy is doing poorly in Math at public school. His mother decides to send him to private school to rectify the situation. Lo and behold, after a semester in the new private Catholic school, the boy's grades were straight A's, even in math! Surprised, his mother asked him how he liked his new school.

"Oh, it's all right, I guess," he replies.

"They must be teaching you some new tricks!"

"Not really."

"Then what do you think is making the difference in your grades, especially in Math?"

"Well", he says, "as soon as I saw that guy nailed to the plus sign, I knew they meant business!"

Have A Happy Weekend,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
John Leal

1107 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
5/14/2009 7:27:08 PM

Thanks for the laughs, Phil.

When I used to frequent pubs (bars) in my younger days one of my mates had a saying, 'I'm only as silly as I want to be'. And he was dead right, away from the booze and the nonsense it creates, he was quite brainy. But I'm afraid the Political Correct faction, or whoever, have no such defence.
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!