Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Donna Zuehl

2077 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Spanish Rice
3/16/2009 7:08:42 PM

Here is another recipe that sounds good, is healthy, and not too difficult to make.

Spanish rice, rice, baby

I’ve always loved trying different cuisines. I had a friend in high school whose grandmother used to make Spanish rice with fajitas — it was absolutely delicious! I’ve made the recipe healthier by ditching the white rice in favor of brown, which has more fiber, keeping you fuller longer. I also use less oil than the usual ¼ cup, but I promise you won’t taste the difference. And finally, I added turmeric*

Sofia’s Spanish Rice

Serves: 4

Total time: About an hour, including rice cooking time 

Ingredients:
— not only does it have a distinct flavor (somewhat similar to ginger), but it’s also known for its many health benefits. It has anti-inflammatory and cancer-prevention properties, and may even help lower cholesterol. Try out this recipe and let me know what you think!

• 1 cup (uncooked) brown rice
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 white onion, finely chopped
  • 1 red pepper, finely chopped
  • ¼ cup water
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • ¼ teaspoon pepper
  • 2 teaspoons paprika
  • 1 teaspoon turmeric
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder (or 1 garlic clove, minced)
  • 1 (8 ounce) can Hunts tomato sauce

Cooking instructions:

1. Cook the brown rice in a pot according to the package instructions. Set aside and cool.
  2. In a separate pot, sauté the onion and pepper with the olive oil for about 5 minutes, or until the onion is lightly browned. If you’re using fresh garlic, add it in while the onion and pepper are still sautéing.
  3. Add the rice into the mixture and continue to sauté everything.
  4. Add the rest of the ingredients (including the garlic powder if you’re using that instead of fresh garlic) and cover. Stir occasionally until all the liquid is incorporated, on a medium to low flame, about 15 minutes.

Nutrition content
Per serving (1/2 cup): 236 calories, 36 g carbohydrate, 8 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 6.5 g fiber, 4 g protein

*Turmeric tip: You can use turmeric to spice up fish, chicken, or tofu. But for something a little different, add it to sautéed grilled onions or broccoli or a creamy vegetable dip. Mix it into nonfat Greek Yogurt and add salt and pepper to taste. Serve the dip alongside raw carrots, celery, and peppers.

+0
Nick Sym

23156 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: Spanish Rice
3/16/2009 9:33:56 PM

Breast Cancer Awareness On My Site! http://www.freewebs.com/nicksym Free exposure that works http://www.webbizinsider.com/Home.asp?RID=55242
+0
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/16/2009 10:27:58 PM
Hi Donna,

I love rice, but I will make only the brown rice, or the long grain rice.  This sounds so good.

LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Donna Zuehl

2077 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/16/2009 10:53:31 PM

What a spectacular graphic, Nick. Thank you for posting.

DonnaZ

+0
Donna Zuehl

2077 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/16/2009 10:55:39 PM

Hi Myrna,

Thank you for the picture. The article had one but it didn't come through when I copied and pasted. It looks so yummy, I want some now!

I use brown rice most of the time, too, since it is supposed to be healthier.

I just stumbled across this recipe on the internet today. I can't wait to try it. I love rice, too.

DonnaZ

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!