Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Peter Fogel

7259 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
PURIM AND PASSOVER
3/6/2009 2:57:15 AM
Hello Friends,

Two very important Jewish Holidays are just around the corner. Purim will be celebrated next week and Passover next month.

Both holidays have miracles and each is accepted in different ways. I won't go into the details of Purim since I'm sure most of you know the story of Esther and Mordechai and how they defeated the evil Haman.

Passover is also a well known holiday and all the miracles involved with this special week.

I want to dwell a bit on Purim since there are similarities to the present day situation with the Iranian nuclear threat. This is not only directed at Israel but at the Western world but at Israel in particular. Persia was where the miracle of Purim happened and that is the modern day Iran. Their leaders are together Haman and have to be defeated one way or another. What makes the miracle of Purim different is the involvement of the Jewish populace of Persia that  fasted and prayed and in this way were active participants in the outcome of the miracle then. Without a doubt prayer is necessary but the activity might take on a different aspect this time around.

Below is today's Dry Bones and then a very interesting article about Purim and Passover. I hope you enjoy it.

Shalom,

Peter

Adar, Purim, Miracles, Happiness, and Passover

By Menachem Levisohn

The month of Adar is not special only because it hosts the holiday of Purim, but rather it has a joyous characteristic of its own. The rabbis taught that when the month of Adar comes in simcha (joy) increases. It is not just Purim that is a happy day, but the entire month that is full of simcha.

Now we should understand that a Jew must be happy the entire year, not just on Purim or during the month of Adar. The Torah brings punishment upon a Jew for not serving G-d with simcha, as it is written "…that you did not serve G-d with simcha and a happy heart" (Deut. 28:47) or the Palmist who exhorts "…serve G-d with simcha" (Psalm 100:2). Therefore if simcha is an integral part of service to G-d, what is the simcha of Adar?

Rashi, the classical commentator explains that when Adar comes in joy increases because it is the time of the miracles of (both) Purim and of Passover (Talmud Taanit 29a). We must therefore understand what is the connection between the two holidays?

The connection between Passover and Purim:

When we compare the two holidays we can see that there are several points that stand out in comparison. Both months have miracles in them. But let us see the differences between the two miracles.

The miracle of Passover was indeed a conglomeration of several gigantic miracles from the ten plagues through to the exodus from Egypt via the splitting of the Red Sea. The revelations of G-d were absolutely apparent to all, from the simplest person to the greatest. It was a time of many miracles that were beyond the realm of nature and in fact shattered the laws of nature. In contrast, the miracle of Purim did not manifest itself in a manner that was apparent to many, unless they considered and analyzed the events that transpired at that time.

The miracle of Passover, culminating with splitting the Red Sea and drowning the Egyptians clearly revealed G-d's total control of life and active participation and intervention in the world to the point of disrupting the laws of nature. The water of the Red Sea stood like a wall on both sides as the Jews crossed through the dry sea bed (which should have been wet!). It was only after they safely emerged on the other side that the pursuing army of Pharaoh was drowned. The oppressor was completed defeated, destroyed and made irrelevant as nature itself changed to accommodate the will of G-d.

Purim, in comparison, was different. Nature was not changed; rather change was brought about through nature. King Achasverous was not killed, but changed from our enemy to our friend. We did not exit Persia, we remained there as his citizens. It was a miracle that was brought forth within the laws of nature, its revelation relied on our understanding and analyzing of the situation to see how it changed 'miraculously'.

Yet although the miracle of Passover was greater and there is certainly a mitzvah to be happy on Passover, it does not compare to the greater joy and happiness that is felt on Purim – even though the miracle of Passover was ever so much greater.

The reason is interesting:

The awesomeness of the open miracles of Passover were too lofty for us to enjoy. They not just terrified the Egyptians, but they put us into an extreme state of awe and trepidation. We were so frightened from them that we were unable to be in a state of joy.

Purim's miracles, on the other hand, were not overbearing to us. Like the Exodus from Egypt, we knew that we were in a state of danger, but unlike the Exodus, it was the Jews who took the initiative and participated in our own redemption. All of the Jews in Persia fasted to change the evil decree and it worked! Our senses were working and we perceived our own success, we were alive and delighted!

Passover on the other hand, we were not in charge of our fate. We were pawns in a drama that G-d was playing with the Egyptians and we lived through it as an anxious and horrified people.

What is the connection between the miracles and simcha?

Now simcha and miracles have something in common - both shatter barriers. When a person is in a state of joy, he is capable of achieving more than when he is depressed. He can go beyond the limitations that are imposed upon him - such as liking a person he normally dislikes or doing a project that he did not want to do.

Miracles are like that too, they shatter the existing barriers. The miracle of Passover shattered the Egyptian's hold on the Jews and totally destroyed any barrier that existed either from them or made by us. The miracle of Purim, while working with in the laws of nature, also broke though existing barriers and while it did not destroy our enemies, they were changed to a state of being our friends instead of being our enemies.

We see that each type of miracle has a certain advantage. The Passover miracle brings unbelievable changes in nature, obvious revelation of G-dliness and puts everyone under tremendous fear, whereas the Purim miracle is one that is almost imperceptible unless we employ active contemplation, yet it is the type of miracle that we can enjoy.

Why do we need two types of miracles?

The future miracle that we are all waiting for, when our long exile will end and the Third Temple will finally be rebuilt will have the best qualities of both of these two types of miracles. First, our enemies will not be destroyed but will become our friends; all nations will give up their false beliefs and turn whole heartedly to G-d. Revelation of G-d in this world will be greater than that revealed during the Egyptian Exodus and yet our joy will increase to unlimited proportions even to the point that the miracle of Passover will seem small in comparison.

~~~~~~~

from the Febuary 2007 Edition of the Jewish Magazine

Peter Fogel
Babylon 7
+0
Lydia Fokina

2042 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: PURIM AND PASSOVER
3/6/2009 4:58:37 AM

Hi Peter!

Happy Purim to all who selebtates this holiday!

Lydia

+0
Geketa Holman

2080 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/6/2009 6:30:24 AM
Hi Peter,

I enjoyed reading the articles on Purim and Passover. The kids love Purim getting dressed up in costumes is so much fun. I enjoy having a nice glass of wine or two.
I  had never given much thought to the connection between the two holidays. G-d is amazing how he does miracles sometimes right under our noses and we puny humans do not even see them as such.  What I also found very interesting was is the similarity of Haman and Hamas .. even the words are similar in spelling.

Shalom ,
Geketa

Hear, O Israel the L-rd our G-d,the L-rd is one http://www.DHGBoutique.com
+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/6/2009 7:45:18 PM

Thanks for this Peter,

I find it really interesting.

My only knowledge of Jewish festivals and Holy Days is through my Old Testament Bible knowledge as a Christian.

I have had little chance to learn any of this first hand and find it very interesting.

Strange thing. If I tried to get here via your forum posting it informed me that the forum wasn't there but if I went through your profile page I could get here.

Roger

+0
Amanda Martin-Shaver

2587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/6/2009 8:32:27 PM
Hello Peter,

Thank you for sharing these two holidays, I am also like
Roger and my only knowledge is through the Old Testament.

I do however had to stop and ponder for a while and rethink
my ideas/views how I understood the book of Exodus and
Passover, because I had thought these two events (even though they were a continuation - leading one into the other) from my understanding Passover was first to safe the Jews from the Angel of Death so they had to place blood upon the doors so it would be known that Jewish family and babies (whom the Angel of Death was going to take the first born son of the Egyptians) so the Pharaoh would let the People go as he would not let the Jews go with the previous plagues
God had sent because Pharaoh's magicians could counterfeit them.

When Pharaoh let the Jews depart from the land and they were out of sight, he had a change of heart and sent his soldiers after them to bring them back.  However, God in His all knowledge instructed Moses to touch/hit with his staff on the
beach or maybe it was a boulder (can't remember the exact details) so the waters would divide and the people could pass
through, while the soldiers and their horses all drowned when
the Red Sea came back to being one again.

This is the event that I had thought was Exodus as the Jews
had left Egypt and were now going to be in the wilderness for 40 years.

Amanda

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!