Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: A Double Whammy!
2/13/2009 4:25:38 PM

Anamaria and Peter,

Thank you so much for your valued postings.

I really enjoyed considering your viewpoints.

Anamaria, the only thing I really need to clarify is the "Policing" which is a term frequently used in England to mean "To monitor and ensure that things stay within the accepted behavioural framework" My reason was this.

As a community we are able to keep an eye upon unreasonable postings, for example if somebody posted disgusting language, we are then able to deal quickly with it. If it were to be posted in a language that only a minority understood it might go unnoticed for longer. This was my point.

I am very happy with your response. I genuinely wanted to know.

I am VERY keen that we attract a wealth of nationalities and keep them. I get concerned when I discover how many folk join adland from Asian backgrounds but seem not to stay. I would just like everyone to know that if they want our friendship we are happy to share it.

I was not promoting non-English forums but genuinely wanted views. I have them and respect them.

How do we let newcomers know that we will help them to fit in if they are willing to join in reasonable dialogue.

Yes Anamaria, it was what I was thinking about.

Roger

+0
Rinna Rani

5162 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/17/2009 12:27:49 AM
Dear Roger,
Greetings!
What an interesting topic.  I truly firstly would like to appreciate you for accepting all nationalities, race, etc with open arms.  That is a noble thing and at least, we should see that we treat other humans with respect irregardless of skin color or the language they speak.

In Asia even in Malaysia, there are different languages.  Unless they are cities that are recognized worldwide or British collonial countries like Malaysia was, English was and is still a practice.  However, in the villages, people still speak their mother toungue like in Malaysia its Bahasa Melayu - Malay language and know very little English or nothing at all.  However, I honestly say that the current Malaysian government is trying to instill the mother tongue in all students and I personally feel that this students are loosing out big time.

So, for those who are able to access the internet or join communities, they can at least a certain amount of English words and for them to come on board with that amount of English, it takes courage.

English is a universal language that is spoken by all and sometimes, the slang is different and not understandable.  My grandfather used to work in the high British commission so English had become the main language in our household.  My family - father's side was required to speak excellent well equipped British English and I thank him for that.

For me, language barrier should never stop a person if they want or would like to learn.  If they shun out and use language as a barrier, its just a reason.  My 1st language is English, followed by Bahasa Malaysia, followed by Chinese Hokkien and Tamil (that is spoken by city people).

That is all from me and hope it explains a little bit on the Asian side.

Lots of love,
Rinna
+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/17/2009 5:55:42 PM

Hello Rinna,

Thank you for your interesting post.

You have a great and interesting background.

Language is so important as there are always things which don't interpret correctly and mean much more in a particular language.

My concern was that if some folk could converse and help each other in their own non-English language then we might attract a wider membership, however, Peter and yourself indicate in different ways that English is the best option.

Roger

+0
Rinna Rani

5162 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/18/2009 12:21:49 AM
Hi Roger,
Greetings!
International wise - yes, English is the best so everyone can understand each other - well said.

Of course, like in Malaysia, we do have our Malaysian language blog that we assist people in Bahasa Malaysia.  It does not go international because this language can only be understood by Malaysian and Indonesian only.

Thanks for an interesting topic.  But yes, using non-English language would attract a larger crowd.  That is rest assured just the question I would like to ask is - how much participation will the members do if they don't understand English or whether anyone will take an effort to start a forum in their own language.

Love ya lots,
Rinna
+0
Patricia Bartch

9394 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/18/2009 12:31:07 AM

Hi Roger, Great topic. Hi Friends. Here's a graphic (my fav one) that addresses friends around the world.

(now I need to get off Adland and rest. Hubby is hollering cuz I've been coughing for hours.  I can't get rid of my cold...lol) 

Best Regards to all, Pat

I'm Your AVON LADY: http://youravon.com/pbartch *Ask me how to get FREE Shipping.
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!