Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
A Double Whammy!
2/12/2009 5:35:43 PM
If English isn't your first language you may have an opinion?

Do we have a rule at ADLAND that says that a forum HAS TO BE IN ENGLISH?

I guess that, if a complete forum was not in English, people would feel excluded. It is fair to say that many members here really feel that Adland is American, mainly because, with Canada they do make the largest group.

Do our non-English speakers feel isolated?

Also, because the bulk of forum members have a reasonable command of English and that it is the accepted principle world language (dare I say?) we fail to attract a whole lot of contributors.

I do realise that if we invite others to write in their native tongue which here, might be a minority, we risk bad posts which we, as the majority might not realise about or be able to police. Could they not police this themselves?

Please,

If you are not very good at English would you bring more people to Adland if you had a forum in your language?

Maybe, someone would inform us of the general content in any other language forum.

Maybe, by visiting their own forum and then by seeing more forums in English might be tempted to improve their English and in turn bless us with their wider culture.

What do you think?

Roger

+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: A Double Whammy!
2/12/2009 6:11:48 PM

If English isn't you first language you need to visit this forum.

Here's the link to this week's Nominations/Election thread for the 176th POTW ending next Tuesday, Feb 17th.  If you announce the new thread to your forum members each week, we'll keep the link to YOUR forum in the list below, THANK YOU:

http://community.adlandpro.com/forums/thread/1198566.aspx

+0
Nick Sym

23156 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/12/2009 10:52:27 PM
Breast Cancer Awareness On My Site! http://www.freewebs.com/nicksym Free exposure that works http://www.webbizinsider.com/Home.asp?RID=55242
+0
Ana Maria Padurean

4280 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/13/2009 6:31:57 AM

Hello Roger :-)

Very interesting post and me, as a „subject” here I have to post my thoughts! So let me take them one by one as you posted them:

If English isn't your first language you may have an opinion?

As you know English is not my first language – its my third in fact LOL – but why couldn’t I have an opinion thou! No matter the language my opinions are in my mind; I guess most of the people carry and stock them there LOL (sorry but I cannot stand not to joke what ever … )

Do we have a rule at ADLAND that says that a forum HAS TO BE IN ENGLISH?

I don’t think here is a written rule regarding the language to use on ALP?! … does any one know about something like that?! … but I ask you what would you do if I would write my posts in ROMANIAN?! I think it would be like talking to myself in the mirror; than why waste time to type … I think when some one decide to come online and post something the purpose is to share with as many people as possible, not just with myself (which I’ve already communicated upon the topic before posting?!?! LOL) and at most very few more! That case it would be better to go out and pay a visit to my neighbors or a friend or an enemy(?!), depending the topic!

I guess that, if a complete forum was not in English, people would feel excluded.

With this respect I’m not sure why?! (I mean to FEEL EXCLUDED! ) – I guess here we could much more talk about „interested” – When one is interested in something is able to get over many obstacles, depending on „the appetite” as they say :-)and of course on the effort they are willing to „pay”. I've noticed (sometimes a very funny phenomenon) that even in English, people do not read the posts; most of the time they read JUST the headline and that’s it! Thus, it would be interesting to post a headline in English and the rest or in the mids some ideas in Romanian (for instance?!) – It would be interesting reading the replies :-D

It is fair to say that many members here really feel that Adland is American, mainly because, with Canada they do make the largest group.

However, there is something making me feel Adland an American place and not international, as having a different behavior than the majority admit and accept, is not a very good idea, as soon as some cannot comprehend such things and  they quickly stigmatize you and do anything in their power to change it as being considered AGGRESSIVE, OFFENSIVE or MALIGN anyway!

Let me give you an example: some people (like Romanians) instead of guns mostly use „humor” , as we say MAKING FUN OF TROUBLE! – this DO NOT MEAN we are less serious with respect of the matter!

Or, TO BE POSITIVE DO NOT mean to be the same all over the world! In some places  it means: GOD IS THERE AND WATCH OVER ME and if I’m not doing well than HE PUNISHED ME and in some: GOD IS THERE AND GIVE ME CHOICES and if I’m not doing well, then I CHOOSE WRONG or THE HARD WAY! – hope this have some sense in English – English as in my Romanian – English does LOL

Do our non-English speakers feel isolated?

No, I DON’T FEEL ISOLATED!

Also, because the bulk of forum members have a reasonable command of English and that it is the accepted principle world language (dare I say?) we fail to attract a whole lot of contributors.

English is the IT language, so with just a very few ones, everyone accept it as it is and most of the people doing their best to get better and better! Anyway, as I’m concerned I think WE ARE IN ADVANTAGE (in a way) as while we learn more languages we become accustomed to more cultures and such we get better not only in speaking languages but in understanding others and communication! It is much easier to see ones way of thinking - speaking the same language! Maybe this is why there is even a saying which goes whatever language you speak, when the two cannot get along:        

WE ARE NOT SPEAKING THE SAME LANGUAGE!

I do realize that if we invite others to write in their native tongue which here, might be a minority, we risk bad posts which we, as the majority might not realize about or be able to police. Could they not police this themselves?

How would some one be able to police (as you say) anything when there are not understood the WORDS! What would/could we be expecting about the CONTENT!?

*** WELL, I’m not sure how to „take” your word: POLICE here?!       As you see I gave it the meaning: JUDGE or UNDERSTAND?! …rather than POLICE=POLICE … or were you really thinking of kind of FBI or CIA or NYPD?!

Please,

If you are not very good at English would you bring more people to Adland if you had a forum in your language?

I’m doing my best to bring in as many friends as I can but not to post in Romanian but to make them practice their English and improve it!

Maybe, someone would inform us of the general content in any other language forum.

Maybe, by visiting their own forum and then by seeing more forums in English might be tempted to improve their English and in turn bless us with their wider culture.

What do you think?

This was it! :-)

Hope this is what you were thinking about when made your post!

Roger  -- Anamaria

+0
Peter Fogel

7259 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/13/2009 7:01:33 AM

Hello Roger,

Interesting topic but not totally relevant. When one joins a community he/she knows in advance that the spoken and written language will b in english. The majority of the communities are international in their membership and the language is a given.

I believe there are no restrictions to post in another language but the participation will be more then limited. The objective in most cases is to get broad participation and consequently there has to be one common language that all can use.

A while back I recall seeing an Adland promo sent out by Bogdan about a sister community for people of Polish heritage. I imagine that there the language will be  Polish. There might be other communities of this sort and if one wants to join he can then post in his mother tongue.

But, I really don't see the problem here. I don't consider Adland to be American/Canadian but an International community. The membership is International and that's what makes it so interesting.

I have to agree with AnaMaria that not many really read all the posts and you can see from some replies that they are posting in many cases just for the sake of posting. But, that said the forums should be in English so that all can participate in them.

Shalom,

Peter

Peter Fogel
Babylon 7
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!