Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Branka Babic

2716 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: Hanukkah
12/17/2008 8:04:27 AM

Shalom Geketa !

How many new things I have learned here!!!

Thanks for bringing all this to my attention. Great customs and so inspiring!

Hope your family celebration is great, and many blessings will fulfill your lives and make all your wishes to come true !

Best wishes and congrats to Peter, Mattias and all other Jews at ALP and world wide!

With love,

Branka

+0
Geketa Holman

2080 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/17/2008 8:48:55 AM
Shalom Branka,

I could just hug you to pieces it is so good to see you are back!!!

I have missed you terribly.

Thank you for learning about Hanukkah and celebrating with us. The boys are all chatting about what nice things they will get to eat
The cooking goes on for days here.

I am wishing  for you and Luka Many blessings  with everything that is good this coming new year.

Meshugeneh Hugs with lots of Love,

Geketa

Hear, O Israel the L-rd our G-d,the L-rd is one http://www.DHGBoutique.com
+0
Ana Maria Padurean

4280 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/17/2008 10:23:28 AM

HUGS,
Anamaria :-)

+0
Sam
Sam Sunday

2502 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/17/2008 6:38:30 PM

Hi Geky,

What a comprehensive explanation of what Hanukkah   is all about. Quite interesting and a great addition to my knowledge. Thanks very plenty for sharing and may all those good things you wish come to you in peace.

Shalom and Happy Hanukkah to you and all our Jewish friends!

+0
Geketa Holman

2080 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/18/2008 10:04:02 AM
Hi Sami,

I am happy you enjoyed our Hanukkah forum. What can I say? I have been teaching for over 17 years now everyday, while home schooling my children with great success I might add. LOL

Hanukkah is rich in wonderful traditions here is how the lights are lite and the blessings that are to be said during Hanukkah.

The lighting of the Menorah candles

1. display the lights on the menorah. make sure that there is a sufficient amount oil, or that the candles are big enough, for the lights to burn until half an hour after nightfall (or, if lighting after nightfall, for one half hour). On the first night, set one candle to the far right of the menorah. On the next night, add a second light to the left of the first one, and then add one light each night of Hanukkah - goving from right to left.

2. Gather  everyone in the house around the menorah.

3. Light the shamash candle.( This the candle you light the other candles from) Then hold it in your right hand (unless you are left-handed).

4. While standing, recite the a special blessing.

5. Light the candles. Each night, light the newest (left-most) candle first and continue lighting from left to right. (We add lights to the menorah from right to left, while we light from left to right.)

The Blessings

Prior to lighting the Hanukkah candles, we thank G‑d for giving us this special mitzvah, and for the astonishing Hanukkah miracles:

Hebrew  

Ba-ruch A-tah Ado-nai E-lo-he-nu Me-lech ha-olam a-sher ki-de-sha-nu be-mitz-vo-tav ve-tzi-va-nu le-had-lik ner Chanukah.

Ba-ruch A-tah Ado-nai E-lo-hei-nu Me-lech ha-olam she-a-sa ni-sim la-avo-te-nu ba-ya-mim ha-hem bi-z'man ha-zeh.

Transliteration in English

[Blessed are You, Lord our God, King of the universe, who has sanctified us with His commandments, and commanded us to kindle theHanukkah light.

Blessed are You, Lord our God, King of the universe, who performed miracles for our forefathers in those days, at this time.]

On the first night of Hanukkah, Sunday, December 21, 2008 (or the first time on Hanukkah you make this mitzvah), add the subsequent blessing:

Hebrew

Ba-ruch A-tah Ado-nai E-lo-he-nu Me-lech ha-olam she-heche-ya-nu ve-ki-yi-ma-nu ve-higi-a-nu liz-man ha-zeh.

Transliteration in English

Blessed are You, Lord our God, King of the universe, who has granted us life, sustained us, and enabled us to reach this occasion.

Shalom,

Geketa

Hear, O Israel the L-rd our G-d,the L-rd is one http://www.DHGBoutique.com
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!