Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
The Sack Lunch
11/9/2008 1:39:28 PM
This was emailed to me by a friend. The passenger is unknown.

I put my carry-on in the luggage compartment and sat down in my assigned seat. It was going to be a long flight. 'I'm glad I have a good book to read perhaps I will get a short nap,' I thought.

Just before take-off, a line of 55 soldiers came down the aisle and filled all the vacant seats, totally surrounding me. I decided to start a conversation. 'Where are you headed?' I asked the soldier seated nearest to me.

After flying for about an hour, an announcement was made that sack lunches were available for five dollars. It would be several hours before we reached Chicago , and I quickly decided a lunch would help pass the time. As I reached for my wallet, I overheard soldier ask his buddies if they planned to buy lunch. 'No, that seems like a lot of money for just a sack lunch. Probably wouldn't be worth five bucks. I'll wait till we get to Chicago

His friend agreed. I looked around at the other soldiers. None were buying lunch. I walked to the back of the plane and handed the flight attendant Two hundred-Seventy-five dollars 'Take a lunch to all those soldiers.'

She grabbed my arms and squeezed tightly. Her eyes wet with tears, she thanked me. 'My son is a soldier in Iraq; it's almost like you are doing it for him.' Picking up ten of the 55 sacks, she headed up the aisle to where the soldiers were seated. She stopped at my seat and asked, 'Which do you like best - beef or chicken?' 'Chicken,' I replied, wondering why she asked.

She turned and went to the front of plane, returning a minute later with a dinner plate from first class. 'This is your thanks.' After we finished eating, I went again to the back of the plane, heading for the rest room. A man stopped me. 'I saw what you did. I want to be part of it. Here, take this.' He handed me Fifty-five dollars.

Soon after I returned to my seat, I saw the Flight Captain coming down the aisle, looking at the aisle numbers as he walked, I hoped he was not looking for me, but noticed he was looking at the numbers only on my side of the plane. When he got to my row he stopped, smiled, held out his hand, a said, 'I want to shake your hand.' Quickly unfastening my seatbelt I stood and took the Captain's hand. With a booming voice he said, 'I was a soldier and I was a military pilot in Vietnam . Once, someone bought me a lunch. It was an act of kindness I never forgot.'

I was embarrassed when applause was heard from all of the passengers on the plane. Later I walked to the front of the plane so I could stretch my legs. A man who was seated about six rows in front of me reached out his hand, wanting to shake mine. He left another Fifty-five dollars in my palm.

When we landed in Chicago I gathered my belongings and started to deplane. Waiting just inside the airplane door was a man who stopped me, put something in my shirt pocket, turned, and walked away without saying a word. Another Fifty-five dollars!

Upon entering the terminal, I saw the soldiers gathering for their trip to the base. I walked over to them and handed them One hundred and Sixty-five dollars. 'It will take you some time to reach the base. It will be about time for Dinner then. God Bless You All.' Fifty-Five young men left that flight feeling the love and respect of their fellow travelers.

As I walked briskly to my car, I whispered a prayer for their safe return. These soldiers were giving their all for our country. I could only give them a couple of meals. It seemed so little...

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, Wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America  For an amount of ¢up to and including my life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people In this country who no longer understand it.'

Thought you would enjoy this. I tugged on my heart strings. Darryl
You can, if you think you can. You are somebody, cause God don't make no junk!
+0
Re: The Sack Lunch
11/9/2008 2:07:57 PM
Hello Darryl, I just finished reading your story on "The Sack Lunch" and thought, not only did you "feed" those 55 soliders, but you also "fed" them God's love, grace and provision. What a witness you were, not only to the soliders, but to the entire plane. May God bless you and your family richly! C Joyce Jellison
+0
Branka Babic

2716 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/9/2008 2:52:47 PM

Hello Darryl,

Thanks for sharing this nice and inspiring story.

I see this is your first topic, CONGRATULATIONS!

May God bless you and family!

Sincerely,

Branka

+0
Nick Sym

23156 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/9/2008 3:40:34 PM
Breast Cancer Awareness On My Site! http://www.freewebs.com/nicksym Free exposure that works http://www.webbizinsider.com/Home.asp?RID=55242
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/9/2008 5:42:38 PM

Hi Darryl,

First of all, thanks for the Invite to your Forum and thanks especially for sharing such an Inspiring story with us today.

This somehow seems especially meaningful as we prepare to observe Veteran's Day on Tuesday, November, 11th.  Our Veteran's Day Parade was held today over in High Point, NC, and although you always hope for more, it was truly heart-warming to have between 4,000-5,000 folks coming out to Honor our Brave Men and Women who continue to place themselves in harm's way in order that we may continue to live in Freedom here in this Wonderful Country.

Here in our area, we are fortunate to have two Veteran's Hospitals within easy driving distance.  Many of these Men and Women, especially older ones who served in Korea or Vietnam don't have very many visitors.  Also, many may be from other areas and their families just can't afford to travel here as often as they would like.  Every Veteran's Day and again on Memorial Day, a group of around 10 or 12 of us spend a day with them, talking, or more often just listening, and hopefully brightening their day at least for a little while.  We also take small gifts like toiletries, paperbacks, magazines, and sometimes Fruit and Sweets for those who can have them.  Just little things to show them that their sacrifices are not forgotten and how much they are appreciated.

If you're fortunate enough to have a VA Hospital or even if you just know of Veterans in your Neighborhood or Town who don't have a lot of family or anyone to care for them, visit them whenever you can.  Show them that someone does still remember and appreciates their Service to our Country.  The warmth that you get from their smiles will make your day.  I promise.

The Holidays are almost here and there's no lonelier time for a Serviceman or Servicewoman than to be separated from family during the Holidays.  Click Below and send some Love.  Give them the chance to share the Holidays with the ones they love.   

Thanks Again My Friend,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!