Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
RE: S.A.D. Seasonal Affective Disorder- Symptoms and Management
10/22/2010 3:38:42 PM
Quote:

We are experiencing a beautiful fall here in Northwestern Ohio as mother nature dons her prettiest dresses. The evenings are crisp and cool which is great for high school football games. The nights are cold in the 30’s so that we can bundle under the blankets we had caste aside for summer. The frost tolerant plants like beets, swiss chard, kohlrabi and cilantro are enjoying the sunny days without the stress of extreme heat.

However, there is a dark side to this season. Go here for the rest of the story.

Share your experiences with S.A.D./share your ideas for dealing with it.

Mary, while I was in your forum, this one caught my eye. I believe many of us experience changes in our bodies and minds as the seasons change. Some of us recognize it and others probably go to doctors to find out what is wrong. I am very sensitive to changes of any kind but the one I find the hardest is going from summer to fall, knowing that cold weather is right behind!

Your link also applies to current happenings.

Thanks,

Sara

+0
Patricia Bartch

9394 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/23/2010 7:39:13 PM
I think I have S.A.D but i've never discussed my symptoms with a doctor. I do NOT like winter. Our house is an older house. We are painting (and it takes a LONG time to paint this dinky little floating home because of my HURT Right arm/shoulder and hubby's HURT Right knee) the ceiling because our home is dark inside.

Living on the river is HARD. The docks are very slippery (which is how I got hurt in March) and the ramps are steep. It gets dark here about 4:30 and is dark when we wake up.

I just hate winter!!

Pat
I'm Your AVON LADY: http://youravon.com/pbartch *Ask me how to get FREE Shipping.
+0
Mary Hofstetter

3481 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/23/2010 7:52:27 PM

Thanks to both of you ladies for stopping in. No doctor dianoised me either. For many years I didn't understand what was happening. Because I felt it in the fall, I always associated the symptoms with stress in school. I can almost pin point the date when my body says "enough is enough, not enough light". By Sept. 17 I pretty much know it is a slippery slide downhill.

This afternoon, I found myself eating sweets and too much of it. I even asked both of you to send me cookies today, remember? As I reached for another sweet I said to myself, "Grab some St. John'sWort instead". Sometimes I listen to myself and yep just took two capsules.

Sara, thanks for pulling up this oldie post and thanks to Pat for posting. Pat, St. John's wort is a food and won't hurt if you take from reputable company. Homegrown version has no way to test the amount and strength. As one herbalist, professor at Ohio Norhern U. in Ada Ohio told me soil, weather, water, and all growing conditions affect the strength of herbs.

I am now heading to the mailbox to see if the cookies arrived. If not then I will sit under the light and do my Sudoku puzzel.

+0
Patricia Bartch

9394 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/23/2010 8:33:07 PM
Hi Mary. I am taking ST JOHN'S WART now. Because I have been depressed since I hurt my arm (torn rotator cuff and PAINFUL.... HORRIBLE Frozen Shoulder Syndrome). I get "blue" in the winter. I know it's because not much sun.

I've only been taking St John's Wart about a month and haven't really noticed a difference yet. Because of being depressed since my injury, I've lost 30 pounds. No one as "little" as me (only 5'2" and small boned) should weigh as much as I did. Put on the pounds gradually!

Only "good" thing about being injured is losing the weight and looking "GOOD" again!

Pat

I'm Your AVON LADY: http://youravon.com/pbartch *Ask me how to get FREE Shipping.
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!